Sierra Nevada Porter | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Porter

Porter is a testament to roasted malts which give it a rich, bittersweet and roasted coffee-like flavor that's a perfect complement to a variety of foods.

Before Sierra Nevada was a reality, our nights were spent perfecting homebrews and dreaming of starting a brewery. Back then, one of our favorites was a porter made with homemade malt roasted in our kitchen. Decades later, we still love the rich, bittersweet and roasted malt flavors of that original brew.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999

Ratings: 3,642 |  Reviews: 1,443

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.41/5  rDev -64%

Rich dark brown almost black in color. Mild head with no lacing. Smells like burnt toast. The tastes is really bad, it reminds me of sucking on the filter of a cigarette. High carbonation on this one and it makes the mouth feel dry. This is not my kind of beer at all.

1.45/5  rDev -63%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent run to Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Have to say I was completely disappointed.

Appearance: Looked good, nice dark brown like a good porter should be. Unfortunately, that was the only good thing about the beer.

Smell: Ugh. Smelled of chocolate chip cookies being charred over a tire fire. Not pleasant at all.

Taste: Almost as bad as the smell. A strange, overpowering roasted flavour that wasn't appealing, and some charred chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Felt like cola. Too fizzy and thin.

Drinkability: Terrible. This beer was awful. I drained half the bottle after I couldn't stomach it anymore. Good thing I also picked up some Edmund Fitzgerald the same day. Perhaps this was a bad bottle, but I was expecting much, much more from this beer.

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

2.04/5  rDev -48%

Review is from notes taken on 2/23/2011 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a dark brown, but not deep dark brown near black like coffee, and this one shows plenty of ruby highlights when held up to the light; starts with a 2 finger light tan head with decent retention; the body shows strong carbonation through the highlights; head eventually fades to a full, but very uneven cap with thick lumps on the side; fair lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Pretty weak overall, and not nearly as robust as I would like; some faint hints of burnt toast

Taste: Um, pretty weak here as well; taste comes across as watery; moderate presence of burnt toast and slight citric hops; aftertaste is bitter and roasty.

Mouthfeel: Thin and very watery; carbonation is strong, and I would say too strong and it comes across a little sharp; faint stickiness left behind, but overall the finish is pretty clean.

Drinkability: Definitely the least impressive beer I've ever had from Sierra Nevada, and I likely won't be picking this one up again; weak nose and weaker flavors.

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

Although it's nice and dark, that's about the only thing here that resembles a porter. There's not much to smell, and very little to taste: no coffee, no dark flavor, not much bitterness, no toastiness... nothing. Very namby-pamby. If this were coffee, I'd file it under Taster's Choice. If you want a good six-pack porter for regular consumption, buy Otter Creek Stovepipe.

2.12/5  rDev -45.9%

A - Pours an extremely dark riby with a three finger off white head. Leaves great lacing.

S - Weird. Munich malt, grains.

T - Holy Spaten Oktoberfest batman. Tastes nothing like a Porter. Munich malt, dark cherries. Small amounts of toffee come through in the finish as the lable states.

M - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

O - A travesty of a porter. Seriously bad. I guess Sierra Nevada can make a bad beer after all. Hopefully this is just a bad bottle and future bottles taste loads better.

2.21/5  rDev -43.6%

A - A semi-dark brown with bright chestnut edges. A 1 finger white head sink into a small formed collar and tight ceiling.

S - Musty old grain that has heavy oxidation mold, hints of dry cocoa powder, burnt rubber. A dry shake dust hops creates a mineral bitterness.

T - Same as the nose, burnt grain, black rubber material, hints of caramel and cocoa the tip of the tongue.

M - Thin, high carbonation.

I'm a huge fan of Serra Nevada but this porter is not good. I had it a few years ago and didn't like it and I still don't like it.

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

Dark like an oil slick with a quickly relieved one and a half fingers of off white head....

Smells of cereal, molasses and ash, a little dry on the nose

Tastes of light alcohol, and slight hops, really kind of a big disappointment. Nothing here I was expecting, nothing here I was not expecting, really just a boring flavor maybe a coca cola flavor appears after a little warming.

Mouthfeel is okay, kinda light bodied with an interesting small carbonation.

I feel terrible rating Sierra Nevada so poorly but wow this really is a stinker, I would recommend almost any porter over this one. I'm glad I got it in a make your own six pack so I don't have to give away five.

2.41/5  rDev -38.5%

Re-reviewed after a year. One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

This poured the thinnest brown of any of the porters. The head was thin, little lace, and red highlights. On the nose there isn't much. It's simply indefinite and doesn't smell like a thing other than vague, distant roast. In the mouth there is roast but it's in a spritzy body, very thin, Coke-like, with almost no body to speak of. This beer is very watery.

Overall, everyone thought this beer was the blandest of the bunch. It's definitely drinkable and there are no bad flavors like there were with Taddy and Anchor, but there is almost nothing of interest in this. Consensus 4th of 6, with two people rating it last for absolute lack of character.

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

Ah, another shot at Sierra Nevada Porter. Tried this a long while ago, right after I first started drinking beer, but before I was reviewing. Hated it so badly that I never finished the sixer. With more beer knowledge on my plate, let's give it another shot.

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

A: Dark brown/black with a fairly persistent foamy khaki-colored head. Fairly decent.

S: Very sweet, malty, notes of coffee and a touch of raisin. Let this one breathe a bit after opening -- I find it cloying at first but after a few minutes it's much more fragrant.

T: Very very sweet, raisiny, cloying taste. Drying in the aftertaste, leaves me parched and unsatisfied. I can see why I disliked this beer so much when I first tried it, although with a bit more time and perspective I can understand it a bit more.

M: Thin, watery, but somewhat chewy. About standard for-style.

D: Porter isn't my favorite style, but I've had much better than this. It's drinkable, but I won't be buying another anytime soon.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

2.49/5  rDev -36.5%

12oz bottled Aug 20, 2010.

Pours thin brown with a huge foamy light tan head.

Aroma is an odd sweet and grainy/herbal, grassy, lemony concoction with a bit of caramel malt, chocolate and coffee. Moderate strength.

Flavor features some sweet malt, chocolate and caramel? Aroma and flavor is kinda odd on this one...particularly for a Porter.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, low to medium carbonation.

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this is a pretty weak Porter. Relatively fresh, purchased and kept refrigerated so I don't think it was mishandled. An oddball for sure. Stick with the hoppy stuff, Sierra Nevada...

Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.