Sierra Nevada Porter | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999

Reviews: 1,429 | Ratings: 3,610
3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a while since I had the Porter. The SNPA is a classic to me.

The Porter pours unmistakably black with roasted malt in the nose.
Taste is almost chewy and dare I say chalky, though this seems to be typical of the style.

My mouth is evenly coated by the sweet sugars. If I stuck with this for an evening it would be quite drinkable; however, I find it hard to mix this in with the Pale Ales and other styles I favor.

A quality brew befitting the folks from Chico.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

from the bottle. poured dark brown with a creamy light tan head. flavor,dark chocolate. malts, roasted nuts, coffee,hint of hops. flavor coffee, chocolate the bitter sweet kind, roasted malts. nice smooth mouth feel enjoyed this one very drinkable will buy this one again

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

I like Sierra Nevada products but im not a porter fan at all, but maybe this brew would change my mind.

Pours out a nice dark tone with redish highlights and a nice amount of light tan head.

Smell seems a bit sour. Citrus and malt are very noticeable with a touch of toast.

Taste seemed unbalanced to me. Too citric at first and finsihing extremely malty. No real off flavors, but a bit sour in the after taste.

Mouth was alright, not anything to rave about. Seemed to lean more toward the light end.

II don't see this as something I would drink especially with the other SN brews available. If this was the only decent selection available, I would probably go with it.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - Dense, tan colored head formed on pouring. Color is dark brown. when held up to the light, you can see a beautiful deep reddish tint to the beer. Some lace clings to the side of the glass.

Smell - I detect a fairly strong malty smell, mixed with an earthy or smokey aroma. Hops linger in the background. Appealing.

Taste - Roasty foretaste, with hops breaking through in the aftertaste. This is a pretty strong flavored beer, given that it is "only" a porter. Malt-hop balance is good. The taste improves as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - There is a nice thick feel to this beer. Almost gritty, the way a good porter ought to be.

Drinkability -This ain't yer (grand)father's lager! Filling, satisfying.

Comments - In all the years I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I've always passed over their porter. No more. If you are in the mood for robust-tasting porter, I don't think you can miss with this beer!

Pours a very dark mahogany color. Nice head leaves some lace. Smells nice, if rather faint, mostly of coffee. Taste is very good, mostly coffee and chocolate, but without the roasted bitterness of SN Stout. Nice creamy mouthfeel.

Solid porter here, quite a bit better than the Rogue Mocha I had last night. Overall, definitely a must try.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clean, very dark brown with hints of red at the fringes. A foamy, creamy head that settles down quickly but nevertheless persists. Smooth sweetness and roasted malts come through in the nose. Taste is wonderfully "busy" yet well integrated. Starts out with a nice, hoppy bite, followed by moderately sweet malts. Dry finish makes for a nice mouthfeel and good drinkability. This is likely to become a cool weather staple in my fridge.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

nice dark beer slight red around outskirts of glass.nice size head leaves lace down the glass. i see this beer gets a decent score on BA but i must say im unimpressed.slight coffee hints little bit of hop bite at end .i like other sierra offerings but this one strikes me as average.

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

The pleasant aroma of this beer hits me as soon as I pop the cap. I don't even have to wait until pouring. It pours completely opaque black when held up to the light of my computer monitor. I'm not seeing any light get through this beer. This beer pours a solid inch of head that lasts and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

This porter is delicious. As soon as I take a sip, my taste buds are assaulted by a variety of flavor: chocolaty malt, espresso, a bitter hoppy kick to liven things up and keep it from being too sweet. There's a bitersweet aftertaste that lingers on after swallowing - the bitterness the last to leave your mouth. The mouthfeel is just right. Not too heavy, but definitely not light. The combination of flavor and body make me want to enjoy this beer in substantially sized sips. This beer is my good ol' black and blue standby when I don't want to try anything new, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm in the mood for. It's an excellent porter, and one of my favorites.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Brown 12oz. stubby looks like the picutre. Ingredients conform to the purity law. No freshness info.

Pours a dark and opaque deep burgundy under a big three finger tan head that settles fairly quickly, but with good contour and nice lace. The nose is very nice - roasted nut and caramel in droves. The mouth is very (too?) prickly, with medium body. We start with a good roasted nut and caramel opening, followed by a nice crips hoppy bite. A good bitter aftertaste follows the smooth malt finish. Nice complex and enjoyable brew.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle with a 3206 date code ( late July 2003 ).

Pours opaque black with a slight tan head. Smells of chocolate malts and toasted grains. Medium bodied with a super smooth mouthfeel. Taste is of dark chocolates, toasted grains, and coffee. Finishes with a dark roasted malt bitterness.
Another top notch brew from Chico.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a dark rich brown. It is a great beer for fall and winter. It is full bodied and full of flavor. It has a proper head and has lots of body and leaves a good impression.

It has a nice bitterness, but it is not overpowering.

I haven't had this beer in quite some time because I'm weary of buying a microbrew so far from home when it is not refrigerated. (I don't live 30 min from Chico any more.) I was reminded of how great this beer is and I'm glad that it is available on the East Coast.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle. Dark beer with foamy head. Soft. Carbonated. Smooth and malty with a nice mix of caramel and cough mixture. Mild natured. Some chocolate and coffee notes as expected. A very pleasant and easy drinking bit of the dark stuff. I'll have another!

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Mostly black with a hint of red at the corners. Thin layer of brown foam stays around. There is slight lacing.

Coffee and cocoa powder smell.

At first it's slightly sweet, then slightly tart, then there is a strong coffee bean flavor.

Full body and well carbonated.

I enjoy this beer but I enjoy others better. I prefer a stronger taste. Still, it's too strong for any of my friends to enjoy.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

The beer pours a deep dark brown color with a thick frothy tan head that is slow to recede. The aroma is good. It has a roasted malt scent that boasts of dark crystal and chocolate malts. There is also a bit of hops in there as well. The taste is great. It has an incredibly smooth, malty flavor that boasts of cystal and chocolate malts. It goes down quick and easy with a creamy chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very easy drinking porter. It's not the best I've had, but it ranks up there in drinkability.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

This is just a damn good beer. I've been drinking Belgian's all week long and this, though very different, is just if not more tasty in my opinion. And you can get a sixer for what you sometimes pay for a whole bottle of Belgian Brew.
Tastes like a porter should.In fact, one sip was all it took for me to think "This is the benchmark by which all porters should be judged" Hop aroma and flowery flavor up front combined with perfectly roasted dark malts. Smooth and creamy mouth. Can't comment on the head cuz' I drank it from the bottle like a heathen.
Very drinkable. I wish I had about 3 more of these in the fridge.

I know I have raved about this beer. If you know of a better porter out there, beer mail me and let me know.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz brown bottle
This beer is nearly black with ruby hues when held to light. It has a nice head and leaves some lacing. It has a lightly roasty nose. The taste has some chocolate with a hint of coffee and some roastyness. This beer is medium to full bodied. This is a great beer that I will definatly have again.

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%

Let's face it.... Sierra Nevada is one of the classic American microbreweries. However, that does not mean they're infallible, and their porter is evidence of this.

I understand their beer is brewed in Chico, CA and I'm buying a six-pack in New York City. I judged accordingly.

Awesome appearance, everything I expected from a porter. Dark brown color, but not black, with ruby highlights. Nice head after the pour, with a head that lasts all the way down the glass.

Smell was pretty good, but not that strong. Seemed faint and weak-hearted. Where's the soul?

Taste? Tasted good, but not balanced. The sharpness/acidity from the black malt was not balanced by enough caramel sweetness or malty body.

Mouthfeel was decent... although a bit too thin.

Overall, it's rather drinkable, but I think I'd only want 2, maybe three bottles at the most, in one sitting.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a bottle at 48 degrees from the beer fridge.
The beer poured with a small light brown head that quickly diminished.
Color was a very, very dark brown.
Smelled strongly of coffee and roasted malt.
Mouth feel was a little creamy and moderately carbonated.
The beer had a very pleasant roasted coffee taste with just the right amount of hops for balance. There was a slightly sweet malty finish with a hint of hops.
A very enjoyable brew.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Almost black, with a beautiful and abundant head.
Smell of coffee and toasted, very delicate, toasted malts.
Same in the taste, very drinkable and pleasant. Again toasted notes, good.
The body is quite watery and drinkable.
A good bitter aftertaste, with some liquorice, and with good persistence.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Ok cant believe I havent had this one before. Served from the regular SN 12 oz bottle. Quite an attractive looking beer, brown with hints of deep red/garnet, large creamy light tan head.lots of carbonation visible. The aroma is somewaht strange IMO for a porter,very fruity,figgy,sugarysweet..strange but not unpleasant. this is quite a sweet porter compared to most of its class.Nice malt accents, though not too roasted.Unusual taste but I like it. Very nice on the palte ,finishes semi-dry with a hint of bitterness. A quite unusual porter..but good none-the -less.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The SN Porter pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. It has a pillowy tan head that goes down to a thin film that laces the glass.

Its aroma is dry, earthy roasted chocolate, with some figs and some coffee-like bitterness.

The flavor is sweet maltiness trending towards roasted up front with some figgy notes, which is followed by a crisp bitter finish with just the right amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel is creamy, but a little on the thin side.

Overall, a very well balanced porter. So far it's my favorite of the Sierra Nevada line up, and is one of the better porters I've had.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Being a huge fan of Sierra Nevada's Stout, I was very interested to see how their porter stood in comparison. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't quite as impressed as I am with the SN Stout.

The beer pours the expected deep brown with little carbonation and only the thinnest of heads. The drink left minimal lacing but that would be expected considering the lack of foam.

Smell was inviting - plenty of roasted notes primarily of coffee and malt. The taste followed suit, a nice dark bitter drink. While I'd never use the word 'sweet' to describe this brew, there was a pronounced note that I could only describe as toasted caramel. Unfortunately, while the flavors are enjoyable, this is more of a 'one note' approach which lacked the interesting complexity I expect from a highly rated brew.

Mouthfeel was acceptably light without being watery but the lack of carbonation did feel a little on the flat side. I wouldn't take this as much of a complaint as I'm holding SN to pretty high standards.

This is a plenty nice brew and quite drinkable, though if I were faced with a choice at the store I'd be more likely to go with their Stout which had a much more complex and balanced flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Not bad at all. Pours a nice jet black, but the head didn’t really stick around. Smells of some roasted grains and aroma hops, but nothing overpowering. The flavor stays true to the smell- but not as good as the Sierra Nevada stout. Lighter, almost thin, mouth feel for a porter, but nice dark color. Overall, this is an easy drinking porter.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

From the bottle: "Sierra Nevada Classic Porter is a completely natural beer, full of roasted malts which give it a rich, bittersweet and roasted toffee flavor. This medium-bodied ale is perfectly balanced, with a smooth malty flavor and crisp American hops."

I got a good, creamy tan head off of this, but it subsided rather quickly. It was a beautiful dark black color with wonderful notes of chocolate and coffee on the nose. There was more bitterness in the mouth than I would have preferred, but it was offset by the lovely chocolate flavor. The chocolate lingers on the tongue at the finish, accompanied by undertones of a not-unpleasant charcoal.

Re-visit on Sa, 21 July 2012. My aggro pour created better than two fingers' worth of dense, light-tan head with great retention. Color was a deep brown with ruby highlights. Nose was chocolate, more towards milk than dark. Mouthfeel was medium and the roastiness was immediately evident in the mouth. I think it tasted more sweet than bitter, but it still had a distinct coffee/chocolate taste on the tongue. Finish gave the toffee flavor that the label mentioned. A very nice example of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm impressed with this brew. I've been a big fan of stouts but haven't truly crossed that vague line into the world of porters. The deep dark color is what first draws me in with the impressive head. Aromas of roasted malt provide a hint of what to come. A slight hint of citrus helps keep the flavor in balance. A smooth mouthfill makes this a very drinkable beer. I'll save a place for this in my fridge.

Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.