Sierra Nevada Porter | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999

Ratings: 3,628 |  Reviews: 1,437

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Bought a 6pack at my local Round Rock Specs for 7.99.

I don't believe I've had this before...trying to think back a few years and just can't remember trying it. So here goes.

Pours a very dark brown with decent tan head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Some red tinge in it as well when held to the light. Nice lacing on this one.

Getting a nice scent of dark roasted malt, caramel, and sugary spice...maybe cinnamon? I like.

Dark roasted malt dominates along with toffee. Some hop bitterness on the palate after each sip too. Very good. Perfect amount of carbonation and a smooth aftertaste makes this on a very easy to drink and quite sessionable porter.

Pretty impressive...sorry I waited so long to try it.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

I tried this beer after making a create-your-own variety six pack at my local market. I served this from a 12 oz. bottle into a pub-style standard beer glass and just got done drinking it.

The appearance of it was dark, almost completely black. The head was a very deep tan almost beige color, about 2 1/2 fingers and was very creamy. The head dissipated after a bit, but mostly stuck around at 1/2 a finger, leaving lacing at the beer diminished.

The smell was straight up coffee, malts, and toffee for me. With a good bit of roastiness that was oh so present. I was very impressed with how accurate the smell was to the description of the ingredients used and was surprised by how pleasant it was.

This has to be one of the most flavorful beers I've ever had. I'm new to trying different beers having recently turned 21 and the taste of this just about blew my socks off. Coffee, cream, toffee, and dark roasted malts. Man it hit the spot. I'm a fan of the darker beers like Guinness and whatnot so this was right up my alley. The finish is that of a deep, bold bitterness that warms your throat and leaves a slightly smoky taste in your mouth. Somewhat sweet but not too much at all.

The mouthfeel was very smooth and also creamy. It has a bit of carbonation at the back of the sip, but otherwise this is a fairly flat beer if you were to compare it with a lager. Very nice.

Overall this has now got to be one of my top five beers. Something I will come back to every so often and savor again. I will reiterate in saying that I just turned 21, so my experience with different beers is lacking so others might know of better porters than this. I've tried the Anchor Porter as well and while that one was good, SN's porter brought more to the table in terms of what I expected a good porter to taste like. I'm used to Keystone and Bud Light, so this is shaping up to be a very interesting brew exploration experience for me to say the least.

2.94/5  rDev -25%

Bottle poured into shaker pint, no freshness date

three finger off white head

This was not what I was expecting. I was hoping for a bitter porter, rather than a semi-sweet one. Four finger white head when poured correctly which leaves elegant lacing. The beer tastes of the two-row malt, and chocolate. I would call this an ok beer from an outstanding brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.