Sierra Nevada Porter | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter
3.89/5
Very Good
Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Porter

Porter is a testament to roasted malts which give it a rich, bittersweet and roasted coffee-like flavor that's a perfect complement to a variety of foods.

Before Sierra Nevada was a reality, our nights were spent perfecting homebrews and dreaming of starting a brewery. Back then, one of our favorites was a porter made with homemade malt roasted in our kitchen. Decades later, we still love the rich, bittersweet and roasted malt flavors of that original brew.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999

Ratings: 3,667 |  Reviews: 1,450

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

Appearance: rich, chocolate brown with amber highlights. Tan, 2 finger head that whittles down to 1 with lots of bubbles. Not much lacing.

Smell: malt, leather, earthy, caramel, confortable shoes.

Taste: A cross between malt and light coffee. A toffee aspect wends its way into the mix. Slightly bitter finish, but it doesn't bother me.

Mouthfeel: medium to heavy; great carbonation.

Overall: a gentle, easy-going porter. Rich, smooth, flavorful. Begs for a cigar.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a dark garnet color, color visible only when held to light. Great head retention, never really dissipates, good lacing.

S: Very nice roast malt notes that says porter all the way. Gathers some sweet toffee and chocolate tones as well. Not much of a coffee trend.

T: This one is a bit sweeter take on porter, toffee and dark chocolate come in. Some lighter bitterness in the back.

M: Good solid medium body, with a bit more carbonation. Keeps it a crisp drinking beer.

D: Very solid brew, not as robust as my favorite porters but well executed.

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

3.31/5  rDev -14.9%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Porter a couple weeks ago for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. I have never had this beer before and all the other beers that I have had from Sierra Nevada have all been pretty good and solid and I wan't to see what they could do with a Porter, so lets see how it goes. I had a hard time decoding the date but I think it's from the 53rd day in 2010, but that doesn't seem right to me, so I don't know how old it is. Poured from a short brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty typical for Sierra Nevada and it's nothing that great to look at. It poured a nice dark brown color that was bordering on being black and had a nice dark ruby red look when held to the light, it had three and a half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thick rocky layer that stayed till the end and left some lacing. This is a pretty good looking Porter.

S- The aroma of this beer is all about the roasted malts that smell like they have a medium amount of roast to them and a medium amount of sweetness, it imparts some roasted dark malt aromas along with a slight bit of coffee. After that comes a little bit of nuttiness and a light amount of earthy and grassy hops. It's not the most robust Porter I have smelled but it has most of the aroma's that you would want in an American Porter.

T- The taste starts off with lots of dark roasted malts that have a medium amount of roast and a medium amount of sweetness to them and they impart some nice roasted malt flavors with some chocolate, caramel and little bit of coffee showing up. After that I get a slight dark fruit flavor and an equally slight nutty flavor. At the end I get a medium amount of hops that impart a grassy and earthy flavor with a medium amount of bitterness and it had a roasted malt and grassy hop aftertaste. This beer had some nice Porter flavors but it was pretty hoppy for a Porter and it wasn't as robust and roasty as some of the better Porters are.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied, and it had a high amount of carbonation. The body was nice but I thought the carbonation got a little out of hand.

Overall I thought this was an OK beer and it was a slightly above average American Porter. It had most of those good porter flavors but it wasn't as robust as some of my favorites and the hops were a little heavy for a Porter. This beer had OK drinkability, I could probably go for another one but after that I would be ready to move on to something different. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it was a very good looking Porter. What I liked least about this beer was that the malts weren't robust enough to overpower the hops and the high amount of carbonation needed to be toned down a little. I might buy this beer again, but in the wide world of Porters this one doesn't stick out that much, but it was well priced. If you love Porters this is worth a try but I don't think that this beer will knock your socks off. To me this beer falls in the middle when it comes to American Porters, there was nothing too out of place, but to me the flavors didn't come together as well as they do in some of the better Porters. I am glad I finally tried this beer, but it's not that memorable of a Porter.

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Walker's Reserve Porter.

A: Clear dark brown with two-finger, off-white, frothy head that lasted a long time. Great lacing.

S: Roasted malt, nuttiness, and hops. A bit of barnyard.

T: Roasted malt, chocolate.

M: Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Pretty smooth, but could be better.

O: This porter looked fantastic, but I was a bit disappointed by everything else about it. Still, above average, but I liked the Walker's Reserve better.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A somewhat thin, highly carbonated porter. But, the flavor is excellent overall. Not as dark and opaque as many porters. This has a semi-transparent brown/ruby color. Lots of bubbles dissipate the head rather quickly. Smells of coffee, semi-sweet dark chocolate, cocoa, rich toasty malt and slight hops. Mouthfeel is a bit slight, but it packs good flavor. Spiky, coarse carbonation. Raisiny chocolate, powdery cocoa with a dry hops finish and lingering malt presence. Some coppery flavors appear in the aftertaste department, but the malty richness makes this beer rewarding overall. I'd like to try this on tap, but I have never seen it except in bottles. A very good beer. Sierra never really falters in my experience.

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy black hue, that is extremely dark red when held to light. There is a 1-finger brown head with decent lacing along the glass.

Smell: Dark malts, roastyness, coffee, all of these scents are light, though.

Taste: Quite good. Dark roasted malts in the forefront, coffee, chocolate, mild bitterness, all well-balanced throughout, with a nice lingering roastyness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied, moderate carbonation, semi-creamy mouthfeel. It's easy to drink because it's so good!

Overall: An excellent, albeit mild scented, porter. Definitely will be picking up a case of this.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.89 out of 5 with 3,667 ratings