Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Reviews: 1,413 | Ratings: 3,327
4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Quite simply, this one is another stellar brew in the Sierra Nevada lineup. It, like their other brews, is simple at to the point, but is damn tasty at the same time.

It pours a dark, dark, brown to black colour with a big fluffy (but chunky) tan head that is quite sticky overall.

The smell is a nice mix of malt, earth, chocolate and barley. Burnt aromas are noticeable throughout as well. Again, simple but good.

The flavour builds on the smell in that it is a bit bolder all around. This one actually reminds me a bit of an oatmeal stout at times. It starts with a burnt malt flavour and moves into a bit of chocolate that is minimally sweet and has moreso of a burnt quality to it as well. the finish is a bit creamy and has the sweetest taste of each sip, but also has the most bitter flavour as well.

As mentioned above, the mouthfeel is nice and creamy and very smooth overall. If i had any complaint whatsoever about this brew it might be that the body is a tiny, tiny, tiny bit too thin, but its such that I don't even notice it half the time. An excellent, easy drinking stout overall that I unfortunately tend to overlook more often than I should.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

This rounds out the Sierra Nevada lateral tasting. This beer pours a brown color that is very close to black. The small head falls to coat the beer lightly. The nose has some citrus hop with some coffee tones as well. The flavor is nice and roasted, with full on coffee flavor. I like it. The feel is nice and thick. Not syrupy but very coating. I do enjoy this beer. Its easy drinking and something I would probably keep around.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours nearly black with an impressive head and good retention. There is an abundance of caramel and chocolate on the nose, and a well rounded creamy/bitter finish. Taste is just great and bears the mark of a Sierra Nevada brew. Hops battle abundant, rich malts for dominance the whole way through. Mouthfeel...a little thin but nice and persistent...coating action. Drinkability is just fine.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

This beero poured a very dark black - so dark that when held up to my light, I still can't see through it. There is a very luscious firm long lasting head.

The hops jump out at you from the first sniff. Just when I was about to write off any malt aroma, subtle sweetness started creeping in. As the beer warmed in my hand the malt opened up more. Still more balanced to hops than malt.

Int the taste the malts and hops are fighting again. It started sweet and just as I was thinking where is the hops -POW - they blew the sweetness clean off my tongue. There is sweet chocolate to start but the hop bitterness rules. Long after the finish I am still tasting those citrully hops.

I guess there is some mouthfeel or is it just those hops taking charge of my tongue. There is a creaminess and fullness but I must think about it so that I get past the hops.

This is a fine beer and a standard of its style. I think it is just a little too far over the top for me. I recommend it to folks trying to get the feel of the style or trying to figure out the hops/malt mix.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a stubby brown bottle with no freshness date.

Pours ink black with a quickly dissipating cream colored head.

Smells of dark chocolate roasted malts with winey notes.

Roasted malts and dark fruits permiate the tastebuds. That signature juicy hop backbone of all the sierra ales is still apparent, though very dialed-down (as it should be) in this traditional no-frills stout.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Airy and moderately carbonated, which makes it a joy to drink. Medium bodied with a woody, slightly dry finish.

Drinkability is high...Not over-the-top in ABV, along with high credentials coming from one of America's best craft brewerys.

Overall a solid, no-nonsense honest to goodness stout. Just drink and enjoy - everything else will fall into place. Truly a great stout.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle at slightly-cooler-than room temperature, this beer is a fantastic specimen: Jet black and solid, with a thick, dense tan head. The head is quite long-lived, producing a healthy lace until the end of the glass. Aroma is intense roasted barley malt, with a backdrop of bitter chocolate and dark roast coffee. It’s simply a great smell. Taste is rather dry, with the roasted, almost burnt sensation. It’s mouthcoating, creamy, and quite heavy. This is exactly what I expect when I see the word “Stout”. Finishes with a resonating bitterness, and a satisfying dryness. It just sort of makes you want more.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

A highly contagious beer!
The appearance is what you'd expect - dark brown/black with a cap of head on top.

The smell is very mild - subtle...all malts. But there is something that is really inviting in the smell that is difficult to place.

The taste is very smooth - both in flavor and texture. There are many dark malts at work in here. The body is great for having a drinking session - it is heavy but not creamy, so it won't make you feel bloated (as quickly).

4.56/5  rDev +12%

This beer starts off well with it's apperance. Body of the beer is pretty much black, with a large, rich caramel colored head. Tons of lacing and very nice head retention. Can smell lots of chocolate and roasted malt, very sweet. Can taste the caramel malt and chocolate, with a pleasent bitter finish. There's a dry, smoky aftertaste that completes the taste nicely. Drinkability is wonderful; it's complex yet not overpowering. I love this beer.

This beer is not available in my area for some reason and it makes me very sore. I’ve had it on tap before, and thought it was great. In fact I’m hoping to achieve this particular balance in my home-brewed stout. I dumped this one out into the appropriate Sierra Nevada pint glass. The body is black, with an off-white head that springs up rapidly and hangs around stoically. Although black, ruby-garnet hues can be seen when the beer is compared to light. Lacing leaves thick sheets down the pint glass. The nose is roasty and sweet with malts and esters, leafy pine aromas are sprinkled around the perimeter. The flavor is nice and roasty to the point of being biting, this is a good thing. Mild berry esters up front, blending in with burnt toffee and dark roasted coffee flavors, nice bitterness throughout and a mild piny hop flavors pop up here and there in the finish. Mouthfeel is good, I'd like it a teeny-tiny bit more robust though. A good stout, although my memories of this on tap are a lot better than this one tastes from the bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - This beer is darn near black, with a thick tan head. I can see a ruby tint through the beer when I hold it up to the light. Good head retention.

Smell - Roasty/coffee smells dominate the aroma profile. I know hops are in there, but I cannot smell them. Since this is a stout, I am not too concerned.

Taste - The beer has a strong roasty flavor. It borders on being astringent, but pulls back and lets the hops take over. Hop flavor is subdued and just offsets the strong roasty/toasty flavors. All in all, the flavor is pretty outstanding.

Mouthfeel - This is a nice thick beer, and appropriately so. This ain't yer father's lite beer, son.

Drinkability - This is a good and gritty ale, but it invites you to keep sipping. The flavor and alcoholic strength are not overpowering in the least.

Comments - I'm sorry that I waited so long to try this beer. In the mood for a stout? Grab yourself a sixer (or more) of this beer. Sierra Nevada delivers again!

3.46/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I sampled one of these this evening, and was pleasantly surprised. Appearance: Very very dark brown, as close to black as can be without actually being black. Off-white head was long-lasting and thick. Smell worried me a bit - quite metallic. Taste however, was excellent. Nothing particularly unusual or outstanding about it -- just seems like the way a good stout should taste, with plenty of coffee and nutty undertones. Mouthfeel: a bit on the thin side, but overall quite good. Drinkability - Excellent, for a stout. I could easily make this a session beer.

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a rich brown and tan frothy head.
Smell is chocolate with some burnt coffee tones and burnt bread crust smell as well.
Taste was rather basic and watery. Has a Light sweetness to it that fades quickly to a bitter aftertaste and slight dryness.
Compared to the smell the taste didnt stand up to what I thought it should. Nor did that mouthfeel.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

12 ounce bottle. Pours out nearly black with a one inch tan head. The aroma is chocolate and cream with some roastiness. Rich, roasted malt flavor. More chocolate flavor than I remember from previous tastings. The mouthfeel could be a little thicker. High level of carbonation. Good session stout from Sierra Nevada.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Dark but not perfect. Nice head, but not perfect. Good lacing.

Smells like toasted malt sweetness. It smells like most other American stouts, only more crisp. I wish I could do the odor most justice in my description... It's a *sharp* scent. Different.

Tastes like toasted malt and not much else. Nice but uncomplicated. There's a bit of malt bitterness in the back which nicely balances out the burn-sugar sweetness up front, but this is hardly complex.

A bit thin for a stout, and it goes down smooth.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

SN Stout pours almost pitch black, head is off-white and creamy. Aroma is of roasted malts and some dark chocolate. The smell isn't quite strong enough. Taste is a nicely balanced mixture of roasted flavor, hops bite, and dark chocolate. More creamy on the palate than I expected and definitely not as filling as I thought it'd be. This is one of the few stouts I've had so far and all I can think is how closely it resembles a porter. I really enjoyed this and now find myself motivated to seek out more stouts.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

A very doable stout. Appearance is typical of the style, very dark brown, but not quote opaque black. Nice light brown head. Smell doesn't really jump out at you, but a hearty malt base makes itself known as does a musty hop smell. Tastes is nice and malty, with hints of chocolate and a dry hoppy backbone with a touch of bitterness. Smooth mouthfeel and certainly very drinkable for the style.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Can't believe I had never tried this one. Thanks to mtnlover for supplying a bottle to remedy my omission. This one pours a dark and opaque body with a small, creamy, tan head that retains very well and exhibits an enchanting garnet hue around the fringes. Patch lace coats the glass.
Aroma features the standard stout toasty and roasty dark malt characteristics of cocoa and coffee beans. A hint of figs and west coast hops add a solid note.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied with moderate carbonation and a creamy smoothness.
The taste echoes the nice aroma, with cocoa and coffee beans, with a solid hops presence that is unusual for the style, but very nice. Dark fruits are suggested by figs and raisins, and there is a nuttiness that suggests walnuts. Finishes dry with a slight hops and roasted malt bitterness. Very nice!
This is not a very complex stout, just very solid and well constructed. Drinkability is excellent. Another solid offering from Sierra Nevada Brewing. Highly recommended for an American stout.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of the bottle dark with a little light showing through.Smells good coffee like. However in the taste department im not impressed. Leaves a bitter taste i cant point out but not desirable.Mouthfeel is thin,,its drinkable but doesnt have much of a place in my fridge.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a deep almost-black brown with a frothy, pillowy chocolate head. Semlls fabulous. Very deep and complex smelling. Great hints of cocoa and caramel. Tastes follows the smell with a nice, nearly overpowering chocolate flavor. A suprising amount of hops in the finish for a stout, but rounds it off great. Nice and creamy in the mouth. A good beer, but an even better session beer. Given it's "lower" potency, but with how thick and heavy it is, this is one I could drink all day. My first attempt at Sierra Nevada, and this one is a keeper.

3.39/5  rDev -16.7%

Pungent aroma with a pretty full mouth-feel.

Espresso overtones with classic stout characteristics.

Pretty easily drank, but I would be reluctant to drain an entire 6-pack because it does have a decent amount of alcohol.

Although there is no mention of the content on the label I'd say it's about 4.00 ABV just about the same a Guinness here in the states.

I'd probably not suggest this beer to someone because there are just so many better ones.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle

Pours black with chocolate milkshake like head, great retention. Smells not too strong at first, but the chocolate and dark roast come out as it warms, really pleasant. Taste balances the hop and the malt really well, nice bitter taste throughout, and long malt finish. Not quite as much body as I would like, but getting close. I forgot how much I liked this beer, hopefully I will remember to make it one of my regulars.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

Another excellent offering from Sierra Nevada. Just recently got interested in this brewery once I learned its history. Before that I had stupidly assumed it was no good because its widely available and comes in screw top bottles.

Quite possible my new favorite stout. None of the thin watery no taste you sometimes get with Guiness. Would love to try it out of a hand drawn tap or a nitro can.
Pours a true black with minimal head. Again maybe due to less than ideally clean glassware. Enough malt flavor to compliment rather than overwelm the characteristic stout roasted malt bitterness. Hints of hop flavor as well, quite apprcieated in a stout.

Not your over the top big beer or ultra flavorful micro style buster, but a great session beer. Something I know I could enjoy drinking all night long.
Note: if all my reviews seem to be coming in about the same, its because I don't bother to review beers I don't really enjoy, and I have a very hard time giving fives to any beer no matter how good. I want to believe something better can always be created.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. twist off capped bottle. Bottling code is 3273 ( Nov. 2003 )Pours black with a slight brown head. Has a nutty, roasted grain smell. Full bodied with a smooth, rich mouthfeel. Taste is of blackened malts, roasted nuts, and espresso coffee. Finishes with a long, dry espresso taste in the throat.

A classic stout.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark black red brown tints around edges nice fluffy brwo head that leaves nice lacing. Smells creamy dark roasted malts light coffee exprsso flavors. Taste is nice hardy roasted malt, light coffee flavors light bitterness complemented by small dosage of hops. Overall a nice solid oldfashion American stout nothing extraordinary just plain old creamy goodness. Mouthfeel is good smooth and creamy niceness. Drinkability is good been a while since my last Sierra Stout will not wait as long again.

I am suprised I haven't rated this one to date. The only reason I grabbed this is my six year old son said, "Daddy, you always get the green one (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). Get the yellow (Porter) and blue (Stout) this time. Who am I to argue with him?

Pours out to a dark black in the glass with a minimum head. Aroma is that of a light, roasted malt and coffee. The taste is quite good, with afforementioned roasted malt coming to the forefront, but it isn't overbearing. This is a very, easy to drink stout and would be a good one, after say, Guinness/Murphy's/Beamish, to introduce a non-stout drinker to the world of darker beers.

Sierra Nevada continues to impress.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.