Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout
4.07/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Sierra Nevada Stout s a full-bodied American version of the traditional black ale. It is perfectly balanced with big roasted malt flavors and earthy, whole-cone hops.

In 1980, when we were building our fledging brewery, we needed a beer with bold flavors to test the new, hand-built brewhouse. That first brew was a stout rich with roasted malts and earthy, whole-cone American hops. We liked that original stout so much that we've kept it as we've grown. Decades later it still reminds us of that early pioneering spirit.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Ratings: 3,402 |  Reviews: 1,444

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Nearly opaque, and very dark brown. Creamy, beige head with medium retention. True to style.

Smell: Here's where I became worried (thankfully, my concerns did not extend past this stage). The beer smelled stale and slightly sour at first sniff, and later began to remind me of a cheap, corn-fed American light. I could sense the roasted malt in there...somewhere...but it was definitely buried by some less appealing aromas.

Taste: Surprisingly delicious, considering the smell. I wonder what a fresher bottle would have been like! Refreshing, round, and complex, this beer tasted of medium-dark malt, sugared and toasted bread crusts, and roasted nuts. Light bitterness gave way to a slightly dry finish. I've had this beer only once before. It was years ago, and I knew much less about beer back then...but I knew enough to think this was delectable. Now I remember why. My increased knowledge however, also tells me this beer tastes sweeter and lighter than most other stouts. That said, I'm not complaining!

Mouthfeel: Light and silky, but not too slick. Balanced by medium carbonation. Not as filing as other stouts, and I happen to prefer it that way.

Overall: While the flavor is QUITE nice, if I were judging purely on accuracy of style, I would have to deduct a few points in even this area. The lighter, sweeter, taste reminds me of a porter as opposed to a stout. Still, the overall deliciousness makes up for what the drink lacks in aroma...and in the case of at least this bottle, that is saying a lot! I will happily continue my search for a fine-smelling bottle...and even if that effort turns out to be in vain, I will continue to drink this beer. Yes indeed, I will.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

bottle into pint glass

appearance: black with 1 finger off white head, very bubbly, some lacing

smell: not getting a whole lot on the nose, some subtle roasted grains, dark chocolate, espresso, toffee, very herbal earthiness to it

taste: sharp herbal bitterness mends with a roasted espresso flavor that is pretty short lasting, doesn't linger a whole lot. It seems the bitterness is a bit out of balance with the rest of the "stout" flavors, I feel like the dark chocolate and coffee notes could have been emphasized a bit more. Not all that bad, but just left me a little disappointed.

mouthfeel: medium to high carbonation for a stout, rather thin bodied

overall: A decent stout, but sort of down on my list of Stouts I normally buy. Widely available however, this is for sure a great beer that everyone should try, just

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

taster: easy to drink, tasty, smooth, sweetness not overpowering. Need more to work out rating.
1/2 pint: sweet beginning, bitter linger, no molasses taste, again rated it a 4.5. Too watery to make it a 4.75

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. Then ordered a half pint later. Yum! As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.07 out of 5 with 3,402 ratings