Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Sierra Nevada Stout s a full-bodied American version of the traditional black ale. It is perfectly balanced with big roasted malt flavors and earthy, whole-cone hops.

In 1980, when we were building our fledging brewery, we needed a beer with bold flavors to test the new, hand-built brewhouse. That first brew was a stout rich with roasted malts and earthy, whole-cone American hops. We liked that original stout so much that we've kept it as we've grown. Decades later it still reminds us of that early pioneering spirit.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Ratings: 3,384 |  Reviews: 1,436
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

I've had most everything that Sierra Nevada has to offer but I fairly recently realized that I had not reviewed their stout. I'd say that was the case because I mostly drank Sierra Nevada beers when I first began experimenting with craft beer. There's a good reason why. As I said in my Ruthless Rye review, "Sierra Nevada is one of the largest and most popular microbreweries in the United States and there is a good reason why. They consistently produce excellent beers. While they may not brew the more experimental and full-flavored beers, I've not had one of theirs that was disappointing." I do remember liking this stout when I first tried it so it's time to give the beer a proper review.

This is a beer you know will be good once you pour it out. The head formed a bit slowly but grew to a nice two finger height with a light brown color. Its retention was good because of a nice creamy body. It did go away fairly quickly. Lacing is minimal. The stout is mostly opaque and dark brown in color but a lovely ruby color when seen up to a light.

The smell is good too. When I first poured it out I smelled sugary sweetness and roasted coffee and cocoa notes. In some ways it reminds me of Anchor's Celebration Ale with the dark fruit aromas of figs and raisins. Lesser notes of bread and hops are in there too.

There is a lot of flavor in this beer. Many layers. This makes it pretty complex though none of the flavors are very strong or exceptional. Once this warms up the hoppiness dies down and becomes a very welcoming beginning to the beer. After that comes the roasted coffee and cocoa. Most of the sweetness I attribute to the fig and raisin flavors. Sugary sweetness and an aftertaste of roastiness linger on the tongue. I don't think any of the flavors are amazing here but it's exceptionally well-balanced.

The medium body and drinkability make this a stout that you'll find easy to drink. It's lower ABV helps out with that too. Up front the beer has a good bite to it from moderate carbonation but then it stays smooth and creamy, though I'd say there's a bit of dryness at the end. Sweetness makes things just a bit slick but the fruitiness gives the beer more acidity that breaks that up.

Overall, this is a very well-balanced, complex, and flavorful beer that's oh so easy to drink. Nothing really makes me think "Wow!" but it does everything very well. I simply prefer more robust and full-bodied stouts to ones that are the more drinkable type. Still, this is a solid and very enjoyable offering from Sierra Nevada. I didn't expect anything less.

3.69/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark brown with a tan head, good retention

S: Smells of roasted barley, a little hop smell in there too almost like an ale hop smell

T: Has a little bit more bitterness than expected and never got the sweetness as described on the bottle

M: has overall good mouthfeel with not too much lingoring after taste

O: Overall was a good stout with a little more hop bitterness than i anticipated.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. Best by 12/28/2012.

Pours a completely opaque black with a finger of white head. Fades to a beautiful creamy layer that sticks around.

Roasted barley, molasses, and bitterness.

Straight out of the fridge, this is way too bitter. As it warms, the bitterness smooths out and it becomes a different beer. Quite tasty. The substantial bitterness that remains sticks around for a while.

Medium mouthfeel. Slippery and smooth. Surprisingly doesn't finish dry.

Maybe slightly on the hoppy side for me, but hey, it's Sierra Nevada. This is a quality stout.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.