Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout
4.07/5
Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Sierra Nevada Stout s a full-bodied American version of the traditional black ale. It is perfectly balanced with big roasted malt flavors and earthy, whole-cone hops.

In 1980, when we were building our fledging brewery, we needed a beer with bold flavors to test the new, hand-built brewhouse. That first brew was a stout rich with roasted malts and earthy, whole-cone American hops. We liked that original stout so much that we've kept it as we've grown. Decades later it still reminds us of that early pioneering spirit.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Ratings: 3,392 |  Reviews: 1,438

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

I'm a fan of the few beers I've had from Sierra Nevada, I'm a fan of the stout style, so a marriage between the two was something I wanted to taste one day. I'm glad I did.

Delicious with some subtle sweet hints, but it still has that full-bodied coffee-and-dark-chocolate taste that makes the stout one of my personal favourites. If you're a fan of the style, this is a must try. I'm surprised I can't find it as easily as Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale or IPA, because if I could, I know I would pick this one up more often, definitely.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle purchased locally, ($6.99/6). Bottle dated December 23, 2011, 48 days ago. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Very dark brown; 1-1/2" fluffy, tan head that rises above the top of the glass and settles slowly, leaving scattered chunks of lacing, a ring around the edge and a slick on the top; barely detectable bubbles rising just below the surface..

S: Very light roast coffee, chocolate; bread, malt.

T: Much fuller and diverse than the aroma suggested; chocolate, mild coffee, vanilla; w/ gradual, very slight bitterness.

M: Medium body, low/medium carbonation, extremely creamy and smooth; slightly dry finish; no noticeable heat.

O: Well balanced and easy to drink; readily available and a remarkable value.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a dark brown color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV on the label and a freshness code that is half covered by the main label. I guess you will have to remove the label if you are interested in decoding the freshness code. Some light penetrates along the edges, otherwise it's pitch black.

Two finger off-white colored head that dissipates very slowly and leaves behind some really nice lace.

Aroma has hints of coffee, some chocolate, lots of malt, with hints of grain, some hops and bready yeast.

Taste is slightly sweet upfront on the tongue. Towards the middle there is a slight bitterness that slowly takes over and finally ending in a nice lingering bitterness in the finish. Roasted malt bitterness on the palate is not overwhelming.
Medium-bodied and easy to drink stout. It has all the makings of a perfect sessions beer.

One of the better american stouts and a solid brew from Sierra Nevada. Definitely worth a try and comes recommended. Too bad it is the only regular SN beers that is not readily available in our area.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

I had the stout in a nonic pint.

Appearance- The beige foam stormed to almost three-fingers in width. The retention of the puffy, craggy fizz is quite nice, and the sheet lace it leaves behind is even nicer.

The opaque body is not quite black, but close enough.

Smell- Almost no roast and no coffee in the nose. This one is all sweet cocoa and some dark fruit. There is a milk chocolatiness to it The dark fruits have a dates and almost dark cherry thing going on.

Taste- The palate closely follows what was happening on the nose. More of the sweet milk chocolate and cocoa powder with a tangy bit of dark fruits for good measure.

The finish really stays the same with just a touch more bitterness that finally shows where the roasted malt wandered off to in this beer.

Mouth feel- This one has a decent medium body, but it is a little too slick over the tongue. Yeah, it drinks easy, but it would be much bettered served with a big boost of creaminess.

Overall- This stout is sweet with big notes of chocolate and some dark fruit to round things out. Some may not like this stout because of it, but I really enjoy this beer as is, and will gladly return to it in the future.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.07 out of 5 with 3,392 ratings