Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout
Liked This Beer
4.07 w/ 3,389 ratings
Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Sierra Nevada Stout s a full-bodied American version of the traditional black ale. It is perfectly balanced with big roasted malt flavors and earthy, whole-cone hops.

In 1980, when we were building our fledging brewery, we needed a beer with bold flavors to test the new, hand-built brewhouse. That first brew was a stout rich with roasted malts and earthy, whole-cone American hops. We liked that original stout so much that we've kept it as we've grown. Decades later it still reminds us of that early pioneering spirit.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Liked:
4.07/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,389 |  Reviews: 1,437

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A – Dark black with trace brown highlights. Pillowy, light tan head is creamy with nice lace and great retention.

S - Light malty booze with a distinct cola note and soft roast.

T – Light roast starts sharp and mellows out throughout the profile. Light smokiness. The profile gives out on the backend and finishes thin.

M – Medium body.

O – Not a bad stout, but could definitely use more depth.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Sierra Nevada Stout: Continuing my tour of the stout world, last night I tried a Sierra Nevada Stout. The Sierra Nevada comes with the standard black body and brown head. The head was ample and lasted until near the end, with a sheet of lacing on one side of the glass. The aroma was mild compared to other stouts, but foretold of what was to come. This stout has a bid flavor, mostly malt and molasses. There is a bit of bitter toward the end, but not overly so. Some stouts have a harsh finish, and that is not the case for the Sierra Nevada. I do not think I could drink two of these, but for one stout this is a robust, flavorful and manageable choice.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Not happy with my first review (and the grounds of reviewing was unfair), so I'll redo this one. Poured into a beer mug.

A: Not quite as dark as I expect from a stout, but it still features a nearly black body with a foamy, off-white 3-finger head with nice retention and lacing.

S: Nice roastiness, along with a strong scent of hops.

T: Honestly, it's more of a black ale than a stout to me. It opens with some roasted malts and a little bit of chocolate, leads into a citrus-y middle, and finishes with bitter pine notes. It's not oppressive or remotely unpleasant by any stretch, and the roasted character melds well with the hop profile, but it's rather unfitting for a stout. Very drinkable and refreshing, though.

M: Rather thin for a stout, but nicely creamy. The somewhat thin body actually works in its favor; if it were any thicker, it would exasperate the bitter finish even more. Leaves a resiny stickiness on the tongue.

O: I don't quite see the hype here. While it's decent, to be sure, I like my stouts a little less hoppy than this. On the positive side, it's suited pretty well to both winter and summer drinking duty. If you don't like your stouts hoppy, look elsewhere. Otherwise, give it a shot.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 85.1% out of 100 with 3,389 ratings