Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout
4.07/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Sierra Nevada Stout s a full-bodied American version of the traditional black ale. It is perfectly balanced with big roasted malt flavors and earthy, whole-cone hops.

In 1980, when we were building our fledging brewery, we needed a beer with bold flavors to test the new, hand-built brewhouse. That first brew was a stout rich with roasted malts and earthy, whole-cone American hops. We liked that original stout so much that we've kept it as we've grown. Decades later it still reminds us of that early pioneering spirit.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Ratings: 3,397 |  Reviews: 1,442

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Not happy with my first review (and the grounds of reviewing was unfair), so I'll redo this one. Poured into a beer mug.

A: Not quite as dark as I expect from a stout, but it still features a nearly black body with a foamy, off-white 3-finger head with nice retention and lacing.

S: Nice roastiness, along with a strong scent of hops.

T: Honestly, it's more of a black ale than a stout to me. It opens with some roasted malts and a little bit of chocolate, leads into a citrus-y middle, and finishes with bitter pine notes. It's not oppressive or remotely unpleasant by any stretch, and the roasted character melds well with the hop profile, but it's rather unfitting for a stout. Very drinkable and refreshing, though.

M: Rather thin for a stout, but nicely creamy. The somewhat thin body actually works in its favor; if it were any thicker, it would exasperate the bitter finish even more. Leaves a resiny stickiness on the tongue.

O: I don't quite see the hype here. While it's decent, to be sure, I like my stouts a little less hoppy than this. On the positive side, it's suited pretty well to both winter and summer drinking duty. If you don't like your stouts hoppy, look elsewhere. Otherwise, give it a shot.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A) Pretty much black. Not much head, but what was there stuck around for the duration. There was decent lacing.

S) Coffee, light chocolate aroma, and some piney hops.

T) Nice... Deep roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and some citrus/pine to close.

M) Medium body, perhaps a little heavier, with a good amount of carbonation. Fairly smooth with a piney tingle in the finish. Good aftertaste.

O) This is a very good stout. I enjoyed the hop presence. I've been drinking a lot of Founders Breakfast Stout lately, and it is my favorite, but this was a nice change up. I would highly recommend this brew.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Really nice black color with hints of dark amber in the mix. Good tan head with plenty of lacing.

S - Nice amount of caramel milk chocolate, good splash of hops. Maybe the tiniest bit of roasting coffee. Some clean woody lemon scent in there. Interesting.

T - Damn that's good! Hops and carbonation hit my tongue first followed by smooth chocolate (not dark, but not milk... and not overly sweet). Nice caramel aftertaste with some hops. Really smooth and quite drinkable--each sips invites you to take another.

M - Really full with a lot of complexity. Great amount of carbonation. Aftertaste lingers for the perfect amount of time. Amazingly well balanced.

O - This was an excellent excellent beer. I have been wanting to try it since I got into stouts (and beer) a few months ago (based on BA reviews). A lot of times I've been disappointed with highly rated beers, but not this time!

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours just about black but it is slightly translucent when held to the light. Spongy, bubbly beige head retains like a mutha and leaves good lacing.

Roasted malt, light coffee, some chocolate sweetness in the nose.

Taste is also definitely roast forward, big chocolate, coffee with cream and some caramel, big piny hops and light fruity hops later on.

Mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it, but the hops and carbonation are a bit much.

A good stout, I don't mind big hops in a stout but I think it brought down the overall flavor and drinkability here.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.07 out of 5 with 3,397 ratings