Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Ratings: 3,376 |  Reviews: 1,432

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Sierra Nevada pint glass.

Appearance - very dark, almost black with slight hints of dark brown. Opaque. Tannish head about a finger and a half. Looks like a stout should.

Smell - I don't have the keenest sense of smell, but I detect coffee, maybe dark chocolate.

Taste - Rich, creamy. Chocolate, malty. But also a nice amount of hops. Not too hoppy. Pretty good balance.

Mouthfeel - Excellent. The thing I love about stouts is the dark creaminess. Sierra Nevada's stout doesn't disappoint. I wouldn't call it thick, but there is good body.

Overall - Pretty great overall beer. I've had it several times in the past but only yesterday did I sit down and really pay attention to the details. A top notch representation of an American Stout.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

A&S: mildy hoppy scent and a bit smokey. light brown head that pours less then a finger dissipates to a thin layer but is then retained. The beer appear to be pretty thin when poured. A nice medium black tone to the beer.

T&M: Pretty hoppy upfront. This fades to more smokey malts and floral hoppy tones midway and a bitter finish. You kinda have to look hard for the dark chocolate and coffee tones. I found it complex but not pleasing. Medium to thin bodied and higher amounts of carbonation. Easy to drink due to thin body.

O: not a big fan. I've really liked most of Sierra Nevada's stuff, but I have to say this didn't hit home for me. I liked innovated brewing, but I felt this beer was too hoppy and not nearly as smooth and thick as it should be.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.