Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Reviews: 1,422 | Ratings: 3,356
3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black dark stout with medium dark head with pretty good retention. Aroma is a mix between some bitterness and roasted malt. Taste is dominated by the bitterness from the hops and lacks some roastiness. Overall, this is not a bad stout just not too well balanced IMHO.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

First time I've seen Sierra Nevada Stout so I had to pick one up. I've always enjoyed Sierra Nevada beers, so I know I wouldn't be let down this time. Pours a dark coffee color with a thin head that recedes nicely. The aroma is quite pleasant. It has a chocolate and roasted malt smell. It goes down rather smoothely and has a perfect aftertaste that stays on the palate forever. You can definately taste the roasted malts here and has a hint of coffeee flavor with moderate sweetness. I'm not a big fan of stout but this one is up there on my list.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz., bottle conditioned, with no freshness date. Pours into the Chimay chalice as black as can be with a 1 inch creamy tan head that leaves lots of lacing and rings on the glass. Smells sweet with coffee and bittersweet chocolate in the background. The beer leaves a warming sensation and has a slight alcohol taste. Has a roasted chocolate/coffee flavor with hops that contribute citric/floral flavors and a lasting bitterness (60 IBUs). Tastes well balanced and feels very nice. My favorite offering from Sierra Nevada so far, but I just bought a bottle of 2005 Bigfoot so we'll see.

2.49/5  rDev -38.8%

12 oz twist off bottle obtained from a local grocery store in Feb 2005. Pours a tan-brown thin layer of head over a very dark liquid that is dark red-mohoganey when held to the light (and is crystal clear). Smells of chocolate with a gentle coffee and that's about it. Tastes gently of roasted grains first, coming stronger in the middle and as the beer passes down the throat. Then, an earthy and unpleasant straw taste arises...perhaps from the hops? This unpleasant taste does have some floral character to it. Whatever it is, I'm not fond of it. A bit of a sour from the roasted grains, but not an overbearing sour like I find in so many other stouts. It's a dry beer, which serves to amplify the characteristics that I haven't enjoyed. Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation that forms fine bubbles on my tongue. Little lacing inside my glass and the head is just a tiny ring for the last swallow. If I recall, this was just $5 per 6-pack and was not worth it. If you must chose a Sierra Nevade product, I recommend the porter instead.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

This ale pours a completely opaque black in to my tulip glass, with a deep ruby tint when the light reflects from it. The inch-thick tan head dissipates slowly, leaving lace on the sides of the glass and floating on top until the end. The smell is not as strong as some stouts that I am fond of, but smells of cocoa and coffee, with a bit of maple syrup. The yeast is slightly noticable as the ale warms. The taste is of chocolate and coffee, but slightly sweet, and light tasting for a stout, in my opinion. This ale is not very "stout" for a stout. Mouthfeel is a bit bland, although it is smooth. It's almost watery, like they added coloring to make it look dark, but underneath it is an average ale. I am not terribly impressed by this offering, but Sierra Nevada rarely impresses me. Drinkable, though, mostly because of the watery lightness.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The head on this ale is both bubbly and fluffy. A sparse, but intricate lacing clings to the pint glass. The nose is rosty with hints of chocolate and a good waff of American hops. The taste includes chocolate, roasted malts, some nutty characteristics, and a bit grape or raisin. Mouthfeel is quite great. There is a good deal of carbonation but not too much. As you move towards the middle of the beer the hops make themselves known. There is a grape flavor throughout the beer that is probably due to a good dose of caramel malt. All in all, this American Stout is well crafted and very consistent. 2 Thumbs up!

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle.

Creamy, dense coffee-colored head with solid retention. Spotted and condensed lacing with good strength. Murky dark brown with a dullish-red hue.

Moderate roasted maltiness; more of a bitter aroma than sweet. Mild dark chocolate aroma as well. Very subtle aromatics.

Moderate dark chocolate and espresso flavors at first with a pretty hefty roasted malt punch. Moderate hop presence contributes to a fairly dry and bitter finish. Finishes with a dark chocolate-filled aftertaste. Nothing that exciting in terms of flavor, but pretty true to the style.

Full bodied; a bit chewy and dry on the palate.

A bit of a bland tasting stout. Nothing bad, but nothing that'll have me going back for more. A slightly above average offering from the fellas in Chico.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

This one pours a dark brown color with a small head that doesn't have much retention and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma has a very light coffee and malt character and is dominated by a hoppiness that is mostly citrus. The flavor is much the same. Some coffee tones, but there is an overbearing hop presence that I think is way out of place for the style. Easy to drink and it has a nice mouthfeel, but I like more malts in my stouts.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

from the bottle. poured dark brown with a fuffly tan head, with alot of lacing. aroma roasted malts, bakers chocolate, hops, coffee, dark fruits. flavor, malts, coffee, bitter sweet chocolate, yeast, drark fruits, has a dry chalky mouth feel. a good beer for 6.99 for a 6 er

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Quite simply, this one is another stellar brew in the Sierra Nevada lineup. It, like their other brews, is simple at to the point, but is damn tasty at the same time.

It pours a dark, dark, brown to black colour with a big fluffy (but chunky) tan head that is quite sticky overall.

The smell is a nice mix of malt, earth, chocolate and barley. Burnt aromas are noticeable throughout as well. Again, simple but good.

The flavour builds on the smell in that it is a bit bolder all around. This one actually reminds me a bit of an oatmeal stout at times. It starts with a burnt malt flavour and moves into a bit of chocolate that is minimally sweet and has moreso of a burnt quality to it as well. the finish is a bit creamy and has the sweetest taste of each sip, but also has the most bitter flavour as well.

As mentioned above, the mouthfeel is nice and creamy and very smooth overall. If i had any complaint whatsoever about this brew it might be that the body is a tiny, tiny, tiny bit too thin, but its such that I don't even notice it half the time. An excellent, easy drinking stout overall that I unfortunately tend to overlook more often than I should.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

This rounds out the Sierra Nevada lateral tasting. This beer pours a brown color that is very close to black. The small head falls to coat the beer lightly. The nose has some citrus hop with some coffee tones as well. The flavor is nice and roasted, with full on coffee flavor. I like it. The feel is nice and thick. Not syrupy but very coating. I do enjoy this beer. Its easy drinking and something I would probably keep around.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours nearly black with an impressive head and good retention. There is an abundance of caramel and chocolate on the nose, and a well rounded creamy/bitter finish. Taste is just great and bears the mark of a Sierra Nevada brew. Hops battle abundant, rich malts for dominance the whole way through. Mouthfeel...a little thin but nice and persistent...coating action. Drinkability is just fine.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

This beero poured a very dark black - so dark that when held up to my light, I still can't see through it. There is a very luscious firm long lasting head.

The hops jump out at you from the first sniff. Just when I was about to write off any malt aroma, subtle sweetness started creeping in. As the beer warmed in my hand the malt opened up more. Still more balanced to hops than malt.

Int the taste the malts and hops are fighting again. It started sweet and just as I was thinking where is the hops -POW - they blew the sweetness clean off my tongue. There is sweet chocolate to start but the hop bitterness rules. Long after the finish I am still tasting those citrully hops.

I guess there is some mouthfeel or is it just those hops taking charge of my tongue. There is a creaminess and fullness but I must think about it so that I get past the hops.

This is a fine beer and a standard of its style. I think it is just a little too far over the top for me. I recommend it to folks trying to get the feel of the style or trying to figure out the hops/malt mix.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a stubby brown bottle with no freshness date.

Pours ink black with a quickly dissipating cream colored head.

Smells of dark chocolate roasted malts with winey notes.

Roasted malts and dark fruits permiate the tastebuds. That signature juicy hop backbone of all the sierra ales is still apparent, though very dialed-down (as it should be) in this traditional no-frills stout.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Airy and moderately carbonated, which makes it a joy to drink. Medium bodied with a woody, slightly dry finish.

Drinkability is high...Not over-the-top in ABV, along with high credentials coming from one of America's best craft brewerys.

Overall a solid, no-nonsense honest to goodness stout. Just drink and enjoy - everything else will fall into place. Truly a great stout.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle at slightly-cooler-than room temperature, this beer is a fantastic specimen: Jet black and solid, with a thick, dense tan head. The head is quite long-lived, producing a healthy lace until the end of the glass. Aroma is intense roasted barley malt, with a backdrop of bitter chocolate and dark roast coffee. It’s simply a great smell. Taste is rather dry, with the roasted, almost burnt sensation. It’s mouthcoating, creamy, and quite heavy. This is exactly what I expect when I see the word “Stout”. Finishes with a resonating bitterness, and a satisfying dryness. It just sort of makes you want more.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

A highly contagious beer!
The appearance is what you'd expect - dark brown/black with a cap of head on top.

The smell is very mild - subtle...all malts. But there is something that is really inviting in the smell that is difficult to place.

The taste is very smooth - both in flavor and texture. There are many dark malts at work in here. The body is great for having a drinking session - it is heavy but not creamy, so it won't make you feel bloated (as quickly).

4.56/5  rDev +12%

This beer starts off well with it's apperance. Body of the beer is pretty much black, with a large, rich caramel colored head. Tons of lacing and very nice head retention. Can smell lots of chocolate and roasted malt, very sweet. Can taste the caramel malt and chocolate, with a pleasent bitter finish. There's a dry, smoky aftertaste that completes the taste nicely. Drinkability is wonderful; it's complex yet not overpowering. I love this beer.

This beer is not available in my area for some reason and it makes me very sore. I’ve had it on tap before, and thought it was great. In fact I’m hoping to achieve this particular balance in my home-brewed stout. I dumped this one out into the appropriate Sierra Nevada pint glass. The body is black, with an off-white head that springs up rapidly and hangs around stoically. Although black, ruby-garnet hues can be seen when the beer is compared to light. Lacing leaves thick sheets down the pint glass. The nose is roasty and sweet with malts and esters, leafy pine aromas are sprinkled around the perimeter. The flavor is nice and roasty to the point of being biting, this is a good thing. Mild berry esters up front, blending in with burnt toffee and dark roasted coffee flavors, nice bitterness throughout and a mild piny hop flavors pop up here and there in the finish. Mouthfeel is good, I'd like it a teeny-tiny bit more robust though. A good stout, although my memories of this on tap are a lot better than this one tastes from the bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - This beer is darn near black, with a thick tan head. I can see a ruby tint through the beer when I hold it up to the light. Good head retention.

Smell - Roasty/coffee smells dominate the aroma profile. I know hops are in there, but I cannot smell them. Since this is a stout, I am not too concerned.

Taste - The beer has a strong roasty flavor. It borders on being astringent, but pulls back and lets the hops take over. Hop flavor is subdued and just offsets the strong roasty/toasty flavors. All in all, the flavor is pretty outstanding.

Mouthfeel - This is a nice thick beer, and appropriately so. This ain't yer father's lite beer, son.

Drinkability - This is a good and gritty ale, but it invites you to keep sipping. The flavor and alcoholic strength are not overpowering in the least.

Comments - I'm sorry that I waited so long to try this beer. In the mood for a stout? Grab yourself a sixer (or more) of this beer. Sierra Nevada delivers again!

3.46/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I sampled one of these this evening, and was pleasantly surprised. Appearance: Very very dark brown, as close to black as can be without actually being black. Off-white head was long-lasting and thick. Smell worried me a bit - quite metallic. Taste however, was excellent. Nothing particularly unusual or outstanding about it -- just seems like the way a good stout should taste, with plenty of coffee and nutty undertones. Mouthfeel: a bit on the thin side, but overall quite good. Drinkability - Excellent, for a stout. I could easily make this a session beer.

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a rich brown and tan frothy head.
Smell is chocolate with some burnt coffee tones and burnt bread crust smell as well.
Taste was rather basic and watery. Has a Light sweetness to it that fades quickly to a bitter aftertaste and slight dryness.
Compared to the smell the taste didnt stand up to what I thought it should. Nor did that mouthfeel.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

12 ounce bottle. Pours out nearly black with a one inch tan head. The aroma is chocolate and cream with some roastiness. Rich, roasted malt flavor. More chocolate flavor than I remember from previous tastings. The mouthfeel could be a little thicker. High level of carbonation. Good session stout from Sierra Nevada.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Dark but not perfect. Nice head, but not perfect. Good lacing.

Smells like toasted malt sweetness. It smells like most other American stouts, only more crisp. I wish I could do the odor most justice in my description... It's a *sharp* scent. Different.

Tastes like toasted malt and not much else. Nice but uncomplicated. There's a bit of malt bitterness in the back which nicely balances out the burn-sugar sweetness up front, but this is hardly complex.

A bit thin for a stout, and it goes down smooth.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

SN Stout pours almost pitch black, head is off-white and creamy. Aroma is of roasted malts and some dark chocolate. The smell isn't quite strong enough. Taste is a nicely balanced mixture of roasted flavor, hops bite, and dark chocolate. More creamy on the palate than I expected and definitely not as filling as I thought it'd be. This is one of the few stouts I've had so far and all I can think is how closely it resembles a porter. I really enjoyed this and now find myself motivated to seek out more stouts.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

A very doable stout. Appearance is typical of the style, very dark brown, but not quote opaque black. Nice light brown head. Smell doesn't really jump out at you, but a hearty malt base makes itself known as does a musty hop smell. Tastes is nice and malty, with hints of chocolate and a dry hoppy backbone with a touch of bitterness. Smooth mouthfeel and certainly very drinkable for the style.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.