Sierra Nevada Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Ratings: 3,366 |  Reviews: 1,426
4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

Sierra Nevada Stout - finally getting around to reviewing this classic! It's appearance is archetypal, with a dark shade of brown not unlike oil. Light barely passes through the glass, and over top is a 1/2 inch layer of puffy, tan froth. The aromas coming from the beer are great as well - milk chocolate, sweet bread, and molasses. One sip and the drinker will be in love - the velvety smooth liquid coats the palate nicely and tastes milky, toasty, nutty and decadent for such a low ABV beverage. The brewer's best achievement here is the balance of all the aforementioned elements, though. It finishes with a slightly bitter end, which leaves one to only want more. Buy with confidence - this is no 'run of the mill' stout.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours a very dark brown, appearing black in the glass, with a fine light brown head with great retention and lacing. Promising aroma of dark, toasted malt, coffee and chocolate. Flavor of toasted, lightly charred malt, light coffee, chocolate and hints of nuts, finishes moderately bitter with charred coffee notes. Medium bodied with hints of creaminess. A well balanced light stout that hits all the flavor notes I want from a stout. Perhaps a bit thinner on flavor than I expected, perhaps because I've been drinking a lot of imperial stouts. A well made traditional stout as expected from Sierra Nevada.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Nearly opaque, and very dark brown. Creamy, beige head with medium retention. True to style.

Smell: Here's where I became worried (thankfully, my concerns did not extend past this stage). The beer smelled stale and slightly sour at first sniff, and later began to remind me of a cheap, corn-fed American light. I could sense the roasted malt in there...somewhere...but it was definitely buried by some less appealing aromas.

Taste: Surprisingly delicious, considering the smell. I wonder what a fresher bottle would have been like! Refreshing, round, and complex, this beer tasted of medium-dark malt, sugared and toasted bread crusts, and roasted nuts. Light bitterness gave way to a slightly dry finish. I've had this beer only once before. It was years ago, and I knew much less about beer back then...but I knew enough to think this was delectable. Now I remember why. My increased knowledge however, also tells me this beer tastes sweeter and lighter than most other stouts. That said, I'm not complaining!

Mouthfeel: Light and silky, but not too slick. Balanced by medium carbonation. Not as filing as other stouts, and I happen to prefer it that way.

Overall: While the flavor is QUITE nice, if I were judging purely on accuracy of style, I would have to deduct a few points in even this area. The lighter, sweeter, taste reminds me of a porter as opposed to a stout. Still, the overall deliciousness makes up for what the drink lacks in aroma...and in the case of at least this bottle, that is saying a lot! I will happily continue my search for a fine-smelling bottle...and even if that effort turns out to be in vain, I will continue to drink this beer. Yes indeed, I will.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.