2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA
4.21/5
Exceptional
2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Distinguished, Yet Devilishly Hoppy

Added by woodychandler on 06-19-2017

Reviews by Retroman40:
4.25/5  rDev +1%

Once more, I am taking my chances in adding a/this beer to the database, but it is clearly a departure from previous years, especially given the verbiage as transcribed below. It seems to be a one-off, suggesting that like Anchor's Our Special (Christmas) Ale, the recipe is changeable, or at the very least, that it is different from previous years' offerings. I do not believe that it should be reviewed alongside of the previous years as it is labeled as being a departure from that norm in that it is a Triple IPA, if nothing else.

"Distinguished, Yet Devilishly Hoppy"; "Our brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hopitmum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character."

I must admit a modicum of Triple trepidation as I Pop!ped the cap on this one, but I felt justified in my add & will defend my position until they pry my bottles & CANs from my cold, dead fingers. I SO wanted to perform an aggro pour since it was so fresh that it almost hurt, but my New Year's Resolution in 2017 strictly forbid it from taking place. A vigorous in-glass swirl, however, was still on the menu & raised two fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head with such limited retention that I began to wonder if I needed a shower. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future, as I am called on the carpet to explain myself. Nose was ... well, I have not personally indulged as yet, but it is what I imagine a Colorado edible involving caramel to smell like. Dank, but with loads of caramel malt. The intensity of the pine scent was like the time that my Pops got waxed on his bike & as they gave him smelling salts, the crystals melted & he came to in one quick hurry! I personally got a blast in my left nostril that set off a bout of sneezing, caused my L eye to squint like Popeye's & a tear to form & run down my L cheek. Eeek. I took a large draught into my maw & let it just lounge on my tongue for a minute so as to really get the full effect. It was as heavy as the courtesan in Iraklion, Crete, but as bitter as I was upon hearing that Linda Lou was leaving me to marry (!) some other fella. All of a sudden, its Trojan Horse nature revealed itself & my already weakened, bruised tongue was assaulted by machine gun fire and jackhammers. The L side of my body began to experience a curious paralysis, as if from curare. I then made the penultimate mistake of a quick swallow to get it out of my mouth. My ultimate mistake was in taking a quick, deep breath right afterwards. I got a brief cool, minty sensation before a fiery wave of flames, ala a backdraft, went rushing down my gullet & into my belly. OMFG! It was like swallowing barium in that I could trace every inch of my gullet from trachea to intestine. I doubled over, not in agony, but in the purest ecstasy that a self-described, self-avowed hophead could know. It was as though I were a born-again virgin! It was like my first time, all over again. I had not seen this coming, nor had I anticipated that I could ever exbeerience that sort of rush ever again. I rocked back in my chair in an upright position, jaw slack, tongue lolling, the L side of my body useless. Gar! My eyes would no longer focus & it was all I could do to summon hope. "Help!" I cried out in a most curious admixture of agony & ecstasy. I had achieved an orgasm not of my own doing, but the ejaculate burned, oh, how it burned! I heard a voice - "9-1-1. What is your emergency?" "I have OD'd on hops! I think that I need help." "I see that you are calling from Chez Woody, is that correct?" "I am Woody & I am all hopped up!" "Yes, sir, would you like the ambulance staff to come to your kitchen, as usual?" 8=( "Please! Hurry. I cannot feel the L side of my body." "Yessir. They are being dispatched with a Helles Lager I.V. drip which should bring you back around." Phew. Finish was cool. minty & extremely dry, but the best part was that it was the beer that was finished & not me. I urge you to use caution when imbibing this liquid hotshot. That said, YMMV. Until next time ...

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle served in a lager glass.
The flavor seems more refined and less aggressive than in the past, with more emphasis on tropical fruit notes. Not sure which, if either, I'd prefer (without having them both at the same time). Moderate bitterness is low for style. Well hidden alcohol (but not in the nose) is less obvious than last year's edition.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Semi-clear amber, with a huge head and little lace.

Aroma: Crisp hops. Optimum hops. Citrus and fruit. Yes.

Taste: Big! Tons of chewy fruit hops and caramel malts. Very little bitterness here. Finishes strong and dry. The ABV is evident here, but this is simply a delicious brew.

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA brewed by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., with an ABV of 9.60% This American Double/ Imperial IPA pours out a deep golden amber color with a nice white head. The head of this brew sticks around. There is also a nice amount of lacing to this brew, it sticks to the side of the glass well. The smell is rich with hop bitterness, however there is a smooth side to this brew. You also pick up on some rich earthly grains and malts in the smell. There is also a mild sweetness in the smell as well. Now for the taste it is bold with flavors. You pick up a real nice amount of hops, then the earthy tones. The hops are what makes this brew stand out. There is a real nice hoppy smoothness about this brew. This is a well put together brew, for being an IPA , I'm really digging this one. The body of 2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA is a medium to heavy , but not to heavy. I really like how smooth this brew goes down, it is really hard to pick up on the 9.60% ABV in this IPA. This IPA has a nice super clean finish to it. The mouth feel is Hoppy, Bold, Rich, Clean and Refreshing. Overall I'm giving 2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA a 4.50 out of 5. I would definitely look this brew up again givin the chance to. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Did a super nice job with this brew. If you a not a fan of hops this is not for you, however if you are I highly recommend this IPA.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

A near perfect brew for hop heads, this is citrus hops up the a** with a great taste and look. For beer in general it's fantastic, for being 9.6% it's ungodly how good it is

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a speiglau IPA glass.

Look is a golden amber with a thick bubbly head.

Aroma is a lot of pine with a little bubble gum.

Taste is much more of the bubble gum in a good way.

Not my favorite triple (let's be honest double) IPA, but alright.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip. This is a review of the 2017 edition.

A: Pours a golden amber color with a white head, lots of lacing, beer is clear.

A: Lots of aroma, pine, resin, needles, grapefruit peel along with a hint of guava and mango, not getting any malt on this one but lots of hops, very nice.

T: Like the nose, big hits of freshly cut pine needles, resin, there's also some grapefruit peel, hit of moderate bitterness that lingers in the middle, finish has more pine and grapefruit with a touch of guava adding a slight tropical note, finish is dry, alcohol is well hidden, very nice.

M: Medium bodied with a big dry finish, leaves a citrus dryness in the mouth.

O: This is a major improvement over previous editions, Sierra Nevada really brought the hops on this, it's also amazingly smooth for such a big beer, good amount of bitterness that doesn't overwhelm the beer's other notes, definitely going to be drinking this while it's available.

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear gold with three fingers of ten minute bone color head. Nice lace rings.
Smell is floral citrus with some light pine.
Taste is floral citrus hop oil resin. There is a light sweetness from the malts.
Mouthfeel is medium with somewhat lazy carbonation. The finish is balanced and ultimately bitter and dry.
Overall a tasty and well crafted beer. The date code says 062217.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a two finger thick head, solid lacing, and a deep golden amber body.

I smell quite the pungent array of hoppy goodness, but this also doesn't take away from the bread dough malt.

First, the tropical hops invite you with a topless aloha, which then traverses into a wooded pine forest; all leading to the citrus fruit grove.

Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation.

I'l rate 2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. with an overall 4.5

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Packaged May 25th 2017.

Great looking orange amber body color. Quite clear, with an actually bronze shimmering quality. Head is a classic fluffy and thick topped three to four fingers of foam. Capped strong with a creamy top and lots of retention. Classic real nice looking IPA.

Very nice impressive mix of hop aromas. Subtle hints of citrus and tropics, mixing with some earthy tones. A nice matching caramel sweetness to balance out, and almost gives a hop juicy quality but not quite.

Palate starts off pretty good, but gets a bit rich. Thick bodied and a little syrupy malt tones on first sip. Hits maple sugar on first sip with a good hop bitterness. Touches of heat and alcohol, but some thick sensing hop quality. Candy like hop tones of perfume, jujubee candy, and amplified with a caramel malt flavors it seems. Dank and earthy tones manage a good aftertaste even smokey.

A decent Sierra IPA, very interesting hop mix, but is far too sugary sweet and syrupy for my palate to really enjoy intensely.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a fine one finger white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, citrus and tropical fruit hops, guava, orange and mango; definitely more tropical than the old Hoptimum. Flavor follows, with good caramel malt, citrus hops, mixed tropical fruit, orange and grapefruit juice and rind; finishes with lightly resinous citrus hops with light piney notes and lingering light caramel. Medium bodied with light creaminess. I bought this with trepidation because Hoptimum was my favorite IPA for a long time, even though I trust Sierra Nevada to do the right thing. I'm a little let down, which is the best scenario. I really do like the old Hoptimum better with the in-your-face piney and citrus hops supported by robust caramel malt. However, this is pleasant and delivers what it promises: an updated flavor profile (read: tropical fruit, all the rage now). I dispute that this is "the hoppiest beer yet", the original Hoptimum had a noticeably more robust hopping. But whinging aside, this is very enjoyable and still a stellar IPA. Drinking a bottle of this will ultimately let me forget my lost loveā€¦..

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a white head. Smells of hops, citrus,pine, hops, some sweet malt, and a little alcohol. Tastes of very strong and bitter hops, some booze, malt, pine, and grapefruit. Heavy body with medium carbonation. Overall a very stellar triple IPA

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Immediately you can tell this is a good beer. It's nice and juicy, tropical, and floral. As it warmed I detected a licorice or fennel flavor which was not my favorite. Also a bit too malty sweet for my tastes. When cold it comes off pretty well balanced but when it warms the malt takes over.

I don't like it as much as the original, this is very different. I would rather they have just introduced this as a whole new beer. Maybe the recipe isn't that different but the result seems pretty different to me. But it's a good beer I'm happy to have purchased it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

9/15/17 bottle

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.