2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
IPA - Imperial
ABV:
Score:
4.21 | pDev: 8.08%
From:
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants

Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 90 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by twage04:
twage04 from North Carolina

4.42/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright orange, normal carbonation. Lots of grapefruit and dank going on in the aroma. More of the same in the taste, very bitter, in a good way of course. Booze and malt are appropriate and support the pile of hops in this beer. Great double/triple IPA execution!

Aug 13, 2017
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

Once more, I am taking my chances in adding a/this beer to the database, but it is clearly a departure from previous years, especially given the verbiage as transcribed below. It seems to be a one-off, suggesting that like Anchor's Our Special (Christmas) Ale, the recipe is changeable, or at the very least, that it is different from previous years' offerings. I do not believe that it should be reviewed alongside of the previous years as it is labeled as being a departure from that norm in that it is a Triple IPA, if nothing else.

"Distinguished, Yet Devilishly Hoppy"; "Our brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hopitmum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character."

I must admit a modicum of Triple trepidation as I Pop!ped the cap on this one, but I felt justified in my add & will defend my position until they pry my bottles & CANs from my cold, dead fingers. I SO wanted to perform an aggro pour since it was so fresh that it almost hurt, but my New Year's Resolution in 2017 strictly forbid it from taking place. A vigorous in-glass swirl, however, was still on the menu & raised two fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head with such limited retention that I began to wonder if I needed a shower. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future, as I am called on the carpet to explain myself. Nose was ... well, I have not personally indulged as yet, but it is what I imagine a Colorado edible involving caramel to smell like. Dank, but with loads of caramel malt. The intensity of the pine scent was like the time that my Pops got waxed on his bike & as they gave him smelling salts, the crystals melted & he came to in one quick hurry! I personally got a blast in my left nostril that set off a bout of sneezing, caused my L eye to squint like Popeye's & a tear to form & run down my L cheek. Eeek. I took a large draught into my maw & let it just lounge on my tongue for a minute so as to really get the full effect. It was as heavy as the courtesan in Iraklion, Crete, but as bitter as I was upon hearing that Linda Lou was leaving me to marry (!) some other fella. All of a sudden, its Trojan Horse nature revealed itself & my already weakened, bruised tongue was assaulted by machine gun fire and jackhammers. The L side of my body began to experience a curious paralysis, as if from curare. I then made the penultimate mistake of a quick swallow to get it out of my mouth. My ultimate mistake was in taking a quick, deep breath right afterwards. I got a brief cool, minty sensation before a fiery wave of flames, ala a backdraft, went rushing down my gullet & into my belly. OMFG! It was like swallowing barium in that I could trace every inch of my gullet from trachea to intestine. I doubled over, not in agony, but in the purest ecstasy that a self-described, self-avowed hophead could know. It was as though I were a born-again virgin! It was like my first time, all over again. I had not seen this coming, nor had I anticipated that I could ever exbeerience that sort of rush ever again. I rocked back in my chair in an upright position, jaw slack, tongue lolling, the L side of my body useless. Gar! My eyes would no longer focus & it was all I could do to summon hope. "Help!" I cried out in a most curious admixture of agony & ecstasy. I had achieved an orgasm not of my own doing, but the ejaculate burned, oh, how it burned! I heard a voice - "9-1-1. What is your emergency?" "I have OD'd on hops! I think that I need help." "I see that you are calling from Chez Woody, is that correct?" "I am Woody & I am all hopped up!" "Yes, sir, would you like the ambulance staff to come to your kitchen, as usual?" 8=( "Please! Hurry. I cannot feel the L side of my body." "Yessir. They are being dispatched with a Helles Lager I.V. drip which should bring you back around." Phew. Finish was cool. minty & extremely dry, but the best part was that it was the beer that was finished & not me. I urge you to use caution when imbibing this liquid hotshot. That said, YMMV. Until next time ...

Jun 20, 2017
arizcards from Arizona

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a sixer 7-1-17 from TW Arrowhead for $11.99. Bottled on 6-7-17. Stored in the beer fridge since purchase.

Beer poured orange with a very nice white head.

Nose is citrusy with some hint of the tropics.

Taste is nicely balanced between the huge pale and caramel malt base and the citrus and pine. Can detect some hints of mango ever so faintly in the background.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall an improvement over the previous version. Like that it is lighter, more flavorful, and less boozy!

Sep 28, 2017
EMV from Pennsylvania

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Cloudy copper pour. 2 fingers of foamy head leaves a nice rim of lacing.

S: Malty... rich. Tropical fruits... resinous and dank.

T/F: Caramel malts and sweetness. Big hop bitterness is super well balanced by the malts. Tropical and fruity... citrus, resin, and light florals. Rich in body... almost chewy. Finish is bittersweet with overripe fruit and pine needles.

O: A huge IIIPA... great flavor... super well balanced... warming and dangerously drinkable. One of these = a full session.

Aug 30, 2017
jaxon53 from Connecticut

Aug 05, 2017
zahara15 from Vermont

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oct 01, 2017
DefenCorps from Oregon

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

2017 edition, bottle from New Seasons, picked up based on Woody's glowing review.

A clear orange with a dense, off-white head that falls off rapidly leaving little lacing, this looks solid. The nose is bright, pungent, bitter and resiny, a blend of pine, grapefruit, some stone fruit as well. Mildly sweet. The palate opens moderately sweet, mildly boozy and plenty bitter. Resin, pine, grapefruit, peach, nectarine, grapes, floral honey are all present. The malt sweetness is moderate, pairing quite nicely with the hop flavor. Mildly sweet and quite bitter on the finish, this beer is a resiny beast. Carbonation is soft, amplifying the hop flavor and resin character. Quite excellent

4/3.75/4/4.25/4

Jul 30, 2017
tykechandler from Kentucky

Jul 02, 2017
Spikester from Oregon

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear gold with three fingers of ten minute bone color head. Nice lace rings.
Smell is floral citrus with some light pine.
Taste is floral citrus hop oil resin. There is a light sweetness from the malts.
Mouthfeel is medium with somewhat lazy carbonation. The finish is balanced and ultimately bitter and dry.
Overall a tasty and well crafted beer. The date code says 062217.

Sep 18, 2017
secondtooth from Indiana

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Semi-clear amber, with a huge head and little lace.

Aroma: Crisp hops. Optimum hops. Citrus and fruit. Yes.

Taste: Big! Tons of chewy fruit hops and caramel malts. Very little bitterness here. Finishes strong and dry. The ABV is evident here, but this is simply a delicious brew.

Jul 16, 2017
chinchill from South Carolina

12 oz bottle served in a lager glass.
The flavor seems more refined and less aggressive than in the past, with more emphasis on tropical fruit notes. Not sure which, if either, I'd prefer (without having them both at the same time). Moderate bitterness is low for style. Well hidden alcohol (but not in the nose) is less obvious than last year's edition.

Aug 17, 2017
Smakawhat from Maryland

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Packaged May 25th 2017.

Great looking orange amber body color. Quite clear, with an actually bronze shimmering quality. Head is a classic fluffy and thick topped three to four fingers of foam. Capped strong with a creamy top and lots of retention. Classic real nice looking IPA.

Very nice impressive mix of hop aromas. Subtle hints of citrus and tropics, mixing with some earthy tones. A nice matching caramel sweetness to balance out, and almost gives a hop juicy quality but not quite.

Palate starts off pretty good, but gets a bit rich. Thick bodied and a little syrupy malt tones on first sip. Hits maple sugar on first sip with a good hop bitterness. Touches of heat and alcohol, but some thick sensing hop quality. Candy like hop tones of perfume, jujubee candy, and amplified with a caramel malt flavors it seems. Dank and earthy tones manage a good aftertaste even smokey.

A decent Sierra IPA, very interesting hop mix, but is far too sugary sweet and syrupy for my palate to really enjoy intensely.

Jul 04, 2017
nicholas2121 from Ohio

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA brewed by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., with an ABV of 9.60% This American Double/ Imperial IPA pours out a deep golden amber color with a nice white head. The head of this brew sticks around. There is also a nice amount of lacing to this brew, it sticks to the side of the glass well. The smell is rich with hop bitterness, however there is a smooth side to this brew. You also pick up on some rich earthly grains and malts in the smell. There is also a mild sweetness in the smell as well. Now for the taste it is bold with flavors. You pick up a real nice amount of hops, then the earthy tones. The hops are what makes this brew stand out. There is a real nice hoppy smoothness about this brew. This is a well put together brew, for being an IPA , I'm really digging this one. The body of 2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA is a medium to heavy , but not to heavy. I really like how smooth this brew goes down, it is really hard to pick up on the 9.60% ABV in this IPA. This IPA has a nice super clean finish to it. The mouth feel is Hoppy, Bold, Rich, Clean and Refreshing. Overall I'm giving 2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA a 4.50 out of 5. I would definitely look this brew up again givin the chance to. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Did a super nice job with this brew. If you a not a fan of hops this is not for you, however if you are I highly recommend this IPA.

Aug 23, 2017
sunsjammer from Arizona

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

gift bottle from my bro arizcards ...thx bro!

Sep 02, 2017
CHickman from New York

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gotta admit I didn't read the back of the bottle until I was on my third beer of the 6 pack, but I did notice the new bottle size/shape which seemed less stubby. "Distinguished, Yet Devilishly Hoppy" sums it up as this brought the hops. This 6 pack was PKGD 04/28/17, so it was a slow trip to NY from the brewery but the hops held up. I drank straight from the bottle so I'll fill in the looks and smell comments later (although the smell coming from the bottle was really nice).

Hoppy with all kinds of hops and an aggressive sweetness: fresh hops, wet hops, dry hops, juicy hops, hop oil. The mix was fresh smelling hops mixed with citrus fruit, tropical fruit, caramel and sweet bread like French toast. The alcohol was more pronounced than years past, but I still managed to drink 4 of these bottles over the course of the night (at a party).

Will crack open the last one and give a full review, but so far I'm impressed with this beer again.

7/18/2017: Had the last bottle and it pours hazy/cloudy amber color with a 2 finger foamy beige colored head that was full of tiny bubbles and dissipated very slowly. For a beer with almost 10% ABV, this crept down slower than expected and was nice to watch as it dropped. Raised the "Look" score up from 3.75 to 4.25. Man does it smell good, even with a high level of sweetness it smells like pure hop oil with a lot of citrus and piney hops mixing with caramel, toffee and graham crackers. A nose I expected from the snifter, it was spot on for a triple IPA.

Hoppy as hell again with a blend of all kinds of hops and floral notes. It's like weed, Starburst candy and tropical fruits were thrown in a blender. The sweetness is bold, the hops seem like wet hops, and it again had nice caramel, bready and malty notes to balance it out and flow down easily. The alcohol is in your face, but it worked well with the bitterness. Overall it went up from 4.36 to 4.39.

Jul 09, 2017
leefx from Arkansas

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Mar 02, 2018
LiquidAmber from Washington

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a fine one finger white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, citrus and tropical fruit hops, guava, orange and mango; definitely more tropical than the old Hoptimum. Flavor follows, with good caramel malt, citrus hops, mixed tropical fruit, orange and grapefruit juice and rind; finishes with lightly resinous citrus hops with light piney notes and lingering light caramel. Medium bodied with light creaminess. I bought this with trepidation because Hoptimum was my favorite IPA for a long time, even though I trust Sierra Nevada to do the right thing. I'm a little let down, which is the best scenario. I really do like the old Hoptimum better with the in-your-face piney and citrus hops supported by robust caramel malt. However, this is pleasant and delivers what it promises: an updated flavor profile (read: tropical fruit, all the rage now). I dispute that this is "the hoppiest beer yet", the original Hoptimum had a noticeably more robust hopping. But whinging aside, this is very enjoyable and still a stellar IPA. Drinking a bottle of this will ultimately let me forget my lost loveā€¦..

Jul 20, 2017
fx20736 from New York

Aug 24, 2017
claminat420 from Michigan

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

*taken from notes
12oz bottled marked pkgd 04/28/17 14:26. heavily poured into my hotel's clear plastic cup.

Appearance- slightly transparent golden/ straw color with a super frothy off white head. leaves some heavy lacing.

Aroma- super piney with some slight grapefruit. perfect.

Flavor- orange and grapefruit are the upfront hop flavor. abv is well hidden and bitterness isn't too crazy. as it warms caramel malt notes come through also with some pine. not as good as the smell but still really good.

Mouthfeel- medium/ heavy bodied. good carbonation.

Drinkability- I will gladly purchase more of this to enjoy.

Overall- really solid imperial ipa. much better than the old recipe. drink it really cold if you want a citrus hop domination or let it warm up for the malt and pine notes.

Sep 02, 2017
dbell23 from Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Jun 29, 2017

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Jul 08, 2017
Dougwillhike from New Jersey

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oct 10, 2017
Nrod from Argentina

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dec 23, 2017
2017 Edition Hoptimum Triple IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 90 ratings