Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 2,874 | Ratings: 10,738
3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance - Pours a perfect copper color, about an inch of head. Surprisingly not much lacing.

Smell - Smells are very powerful. I could smell this beer all day. Lots of pine with some citrus in the background.

Taste - I was disappointing with the taste after the nose. It was pretty hoppy, but nothing exceptional. I got a lot of "alchohol" taste that overpowered other flavors.

Mouthfeel - Very good body, the carbonation was just the right amount. Good IPA mouthfeel.

Overall - I was a little let down by the taste of the beer. I had high expectations. IPAs are one of my favorite beers so I was excited to try this one. Hoping it was just an off batch. Other than that, everything else about the beer lined up to be something exceptional.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I love SN, but I don't get this brew. Does it stand as is or against the marketed style? It's nowhere near an IPA let alone an Extra. Not bad in any way, but nowhere near the style you might think. Actually a decent session brew. The taste is very similar to their ESB, nice lasting head, slight hops on the nose. Going blind I'd guess this to be a slightly hoppy APA. let alone an IPA or DIPA. Again, very balanced and very drinkable, but please don't call this an IPA. The drink ability drives up the score on this one.

A second review supports the first one,. Surprising because tastes change with exposure to different brews. I don't consider this an IPA , but perhaps an extra APA. Very drinkable to the max, tastes great, but not enough hops to be an IPA. Maybe too controlled and balanced.

served from a 12oz. bottle into a 2009 Boulevard Smokestack Series goblet

Pours a see-through shade of iced tea with a one-finger sized head. The creamy, eggshell head takes forever to dissipate, and leaves some admirably sticky lacing.

Not much going on in the aroma department. Its more earthy than I expected, some piny astringent notes. Overall its kiind of like SNPA, surprisingly.

Whatever the torpedo device does, it sure can harness the power of hops. This is a damn bitter IPA. I love bitterness, but I think that the astringency is actually masking some of the hop flavors. I'm not getting nearly the amount of citrus flavor that I was expecting from this beer. The initial sips seem pretty balanced; there is a developed bready malt taste after the swallow. As it warms, I can make out the light touches of mango. The mango reminds me of Bell's Hopslam, only Torpedo is nowhere near the fruit-storm that Hopslam is. I can taste the alcohol. Malt flavors start to become less distinct as the bitterness builds up on the back of the tongue.

I'm a fan of the mouthfeel. Its easy to swish around and swallow, but retains some incremental degree of heft (not a thickness, but not what you'd call thin, either). If I could taste the alcohol a little bit less, then this would be a tremendously drinkable IPA. I do enjoy the drying aspect of the finish.

At the price point, this makes for a nice choice to spend an evening with. It isn't close to my favorite IPA, in fact I'd say that it didn't live up to my expectations. Its no Celebration Ale. What it is, however, is a darn drinkable beer for being a bitterness-bomb.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Fat, rich head disappears quite quickly over a tan body.

S: Surprisingly tame. Took a while to identify the orange and malt flavors.

T: Bitter beginnings are quickly overtaken by a strong fruity finish. Enjoyable and refreshing.

M: Thickness and carbonation, coupled with the fruity finish the beer provides, makes for a nice treat while consuming this beer.

D: The combination of the fantastic taste with the entertaining mouthfeel with the nice price of this brew makes for a very drinkable IPA.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%

Vigorous pour produces a decent white head on top of a golden, orange, hazy hued brew. Lots of stick and lacing. The oily and resiny bitterness of the hops hits you right away, but doesn't stick around. Not to much citrus, but pine and bitterness are prevalent. Mouthfeel is one to be expected, puckering and bitter. This is a solid American IPA.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

beer pours a deep honey/copper colour with slight tan head

aroma - pine, honey, grapefruit, hops

taste - hops upfront, pine, grapefruit, honey

Mouthfeel - bitter upfront, good carbonation, medium bodied, slightly sweet & syrupy middle, bitter again on the back end

drinkability - one or two of these on a hot night would suffice

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can dated 6/10/15 into a shaker pint.
A - Golden hue, great carbonation, fine froth and wonderful lacing.
S - Lite tropical notes, nice biscuit malt base.
T - Fine mix of lite tropical, pine , and solid malts.
F - Coats the mouth well, a linger that is not to sweet.
O - I am late to this offering and glad to have tried this beer.
Cheers

Opened: 03-12-2012
Bottled: Unknown (single bottle purchased)

S: smell bland light hops aroma

A: color goldenrod clear thick retaining head

T: a heavy hops flavor blankets the middle of the tongue as the lovely brew goes down smoothly. The clarity of the flavor is distinct indicating a near-perfect match of hops and malt.

M: This is an excellent beer in its pour, clarity, and flavor complexity. The carbonation is evenly matched.

Overall: this is an excellent beer. its a standard great of sierra nevada and is a must have.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%

$8.99 a sixer at Total Beverage in Fairfax, VA.

A - 1/2 in head, off-white head with good lacing. Deep copper color denoting a higher malt content of a double IPA.

S - Flat, a little malt, not what I'd expect. Will check other the other bottles from the sixer but this one was disappointing for lack of hoppiness.

T - Very good hoppy tang. Also, recognizably Sierra Nevada. Like the pale ale, but with increased hop and malt. Same blend of hops (just with a different process and increased amount)?

M - Smooth and hefty. Fine carbonation.

D - Good. What you'd expect from a heavier or double IPA.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured into my Spaten tumbler glass. I think this is fresh but not sure. There are some numbers that don't make sense to me, but no definite fresh until date.

A very clear, dark orange color. Medium carbonation bubbles that lead to a three finger head. Head is just a shade dark of bright white and soapy in appearance. Lace is looking pretty good for now.

Smell is mostly of bread. Soggy ass, old bread. Just a hint of bitter citrus. Not a sweet citrus though, kind of like the smell of a bag of old tangerines.

Taste is much better than the smell. Much sweeter on the lips. Hop flavors of mild, bitter citrus. Not quite as bright and bitter as I prefer. The sweetness comes from the malt bill of this pretty well balanced IPA. As this warms I get much more of the biscuity taste i smelled at first.

The mouth is pretty average to above average for the style. Silky and refreshing, not a bit watery or thin and a bit over carbonated to me. Just a hint of alcohol on the throat. Very refreshing and overdrinkable.

Overall I enjoyed this even though it's not the hop bomb I expect California IPA's to be. It was well balanced without being too wimpy. Definitely a must try, and that's probably the greatest thing about this. It was very affordable. Pick up a 24oz bottle, you wont be let down.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz stubby poured into a New Belgium tulip.

Clear bright caramel orange with a half inch head tightly drawn over the mouth of the glass. Leaves some very nice looking clusters of bleached white lacing.

Bitter pine sap and a crack or two of black pepper with a malt backbone that is somehow able to assert itself just enough into this rather tight frame of reference,

Bitterly piney, only the slightest bit of any aspect of malt sweetness. This beer is bitter all the way (the embodiment of evil in all those old keystone light commercials for sure) this may be one of the bitterest beers I've ever come across and that is saying something. Astringent lemony, borderline coppery, with a throat-constricting dry hoppines.

It's odd, this is the last beer in this six pack, I've really enjoyed the previous five but looking at this last one under the microscope it certainly makes things more apparent but I'm not sure what I've found is what I want to keep experiencing. Oh if I could go back to those wonderful bliss free pre-rating days of a week ago I might think this beer have been better than it really was, alas, alas, alas I cannot.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Not much to say about this beer other then its a great value. $7.99 for a 6 pack.

Pours a beautiful copper color and a 1 finger off white head, leaves a little lacing as its drank down.

great hop bitterness thats slowly calmed by the background of Malts.

not my favorite beer but its very drinkable and at this price ill be buying more of it

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice, semi hazy, light amber with rich cream head. Sweet caramelly malts get the nose with some fruity aromatics, a somewhat pear essence. Nice, rich, hoppy taste. Rich citrus notes. Definitely hop forward but a nice biscuity malt on the backend to balance it all out. Mouthfeel was slightly carbonated but at the same time was rich and coated the mouth with the beer's essence. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. Sierra Nevada was my first intro into IPA's way back when, and this beer is definitely one of their best.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A friend gave me a bottle of this... I'm always up for a Sierra Nevada, especially any IPA from them!

Pours an attractive copper and gold into my pint glass, decent beige head leaves a bit of lace.

Pine resin, earth, and floral nectar are the hop aromas, which dominate the faint, but discernible caramel malt sweetness. The label reads "Extra IPA," but it seems kind of underpowered for the moniker, especially an IPA which is toeing the line double IPA line.

Those aromatic hops are also dominant in the flavor, with the malts opening up as I let the brew warm some. Still, This beer lacks balance that I was hoping for. If anything, I think the "extra" in this IPA is the bitterness, which is quite ample and understandable. Good, medium to full mouthfeel, with a long finish is one of the best things about this beer, definitely giving it a quality feel that I've come to expect from SN.

Hmm, I wanted to love this beer, but this hophead has come away kind of disappointed. Too much bitterness, too high ABV for session, but not in the tasty league that their seasonal IPAs occupy. Also, not in the league of heavy hitting double IPAs. I'm going to give it another try for sure, but I just don't think it has the return factor for me that their Pale, Celebration or Anniversary ales have, despite the good value. Stay tuned for a second taste...

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A--Wonderful glowing amber color with a few carbonation bubbles being the only thing to break up the clarity. Head was about a finger tall and an off-white color. Recedes down to a quarter inch tall quickly but then sticks there for a while. Decent lacing.

S--Pretty much all hops..mostly citrus on the nose with a grassy backbone. Would be near-perfect if it was a little stronger

T--Much like the smell, this one is all hops. Very grassy taste that is bitter on the tip of the tongue and roof of the mouth.

M--Medium bodied and very oily. Glides down the throat like silk.

D--I still have yet to really embrace IPA's like many beer advocate members so for me this is a one and done beer, but it is easy drinking and once my palate is more accepting I would definitely want to session this

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Pours an orange gold, with a decent off white head.

S - Centennial hops with a bit of malt smell. That is to say, grapefruit and some extra sweetness.

T - More malt taste than I expected, but definitely hops take the centerpiece. Mild grapefruit, with other unplaceable citrus relevant

M - Good carbonation, and not watery or syrupy.

O - A good showing, but more balanced than I like when I look for IPA's. Worth a try if you like balanced IPA's

Bottled on 02.13.14.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a beer can glass on 06.05.14.

A: See through red/amber body. 1 finger head.

S: Flower, citrus. Sweet smelling.

T: Flower, citrus, and malt dominate. Pine is subtle.

O: This is a balanced IPA. I don't care for IPAs with a large malt presence, though. Maybe the hops died a little because of the age, but this one was only ok for me.

Rating: C

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my patriots freezable beer mug, so the appearance will be somewhat hard to see and describe.

A-appears to be a dark orange. small head that retains very well. poured a couple minutes ago and hasn't moved.

S- slightly fruity and hoppy. I would maybe say a grapefruit. and again hops. smells malty. makes me want to drink it.

T- hits hard with a prickly hop feeling on my tongue almost immediately. then becomes like a malty/fruity taste before finishing with a very strong hop bite. the fruit would be described as slight grapefruit mixed with some hops. and then builds into the hop bite.

MF- basically just leaves me with a very potent hop aftertaste. maybe a slight malt type coating in my mouth but basically just a hop aftertaste.

O- Not bad. Could definitely drink again. As I always like to mention I am not the biggest IPA fan but never mind having one. Just not my favorite type. For an IPA though I really don't mind this one. Not my Favorite but pretty good. I feel like there is a lack of some flavor. I don't mind the hops but for amount I would like a bit more flavor to compliment it. But again overall a pretty good IPA.

I am almost done with the beer now and the head still has yet to move. Which does say something about the good quality of this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

This does have a nice flowery aromatic that comes through when you pour a splash in the glass. A nice amber-tinged golden color, less orange than a lot of IPAs.

Some rich malt at first. Hot and spicy. An overabundance of hops, but that's why you bought this stuff. I don't taste much else, but it is a sophisticated and mellow flavor in a world of over-excitable hop bombs.

Well made as with all of the Sierra Nevada products. It fills the niche for extra-hoppy in their beer range. Actually more drinkable than I remember from previous attempts. Bitter aftertaste mellows out eventually, but it is quite hot tasting. From the 12 oz bottle

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Overall, a nice (oddly) balanced American IPA.
Looks good.
Smells good.. a tad sweet, but a nice floral, fruity hoppy nose.
In terms of taste, the finish is really nice.. notes of ambrosia, pineapple and mouth tingling herbs as it fades into a lingering bitterness. Upfront, however, there is a cotton candy sweetness that really bugs me. The flavors manage to balance eachother out, but I prefer less of those banana sweet spikes in my 7% range IPAs.
Mouthfeel is messed up a little, consequently.
Still drinks just fine.. the fresher the better.
Considering it's price and availability, depending on where you are it may be a good choice. But IMO it is not even in the same league as the likes of Green Flash West Coast, Ska Modus Hoperandi, Surly Furious, or even New Belgium Ranger. Then again, I like a more earthy, consumingly abrassive IPA. I do think it is well worth seeking Torpedo out if the likes of Bell's Two Hearted is in your faves.. reminds me of it quite a bit.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Dark amber, slightly hazy, thick sticky head that leaves an equally sticky lace down the glass.

S: Very hoppy. Can't distinguish the varieties, but there are some amazing smells coming out of this beer.

T: This is a very good IPA, and I prefer it to their other IPA. Very hoppy, but with a great malty sweet backbone to back it up and balance it out. The bitterness is pretty high, but not overpowering.

M: Medium body, fairly low carbonation, slightly syrupy. Very appropriate for the style.

D: One of these is great at the end of a long session, but I wouldn't want more than a few.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

12 oz bottle to pint glass. Golden amber with a beige head. Aroma is dripping with C hops, mostly grapefruit notes. Smells like they used pale malt and no caramel malt. Flavor confirms this, as it's basically a hop showcase. Tons of zesty pine needles and a semisweet citrus note. Good bitterness but some astringency too. Welcomed dryness helps the drinkability. This is pretty much a bigger, more complex, much more enjoyable SNPA.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a crystal clear deep orange with very few bubbles rising through. Huge rocky off-white head on top that stayed throughout the drink like the top of a milkshake. Decent lacing globs on edge.

Smelled of citrus and some pine. Floral tones as well. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. I did not like that at all. Very weak. Carbonation level was low. Nice crisp hop bitterness right off the bat and throughout the entire drink. Not harsh at all though. Definitve citrus play.

I liked this beer, but the mouthfeel could be better.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a clear copper color with a beautiful inch and a half off white head. The head lingers with good retention and leaves some spotty lace as it subsides.

The aroma is great, and pretty typical Sierra Nevada/West Coast. Big hop notes smacking you with some sappy pine and some sweet citrus. Delicious.

The taste is decent. A good hop presence giving a big sappy pine note, with a touch of citrus. It's slightly sweet up front, but gives way to a moderately bitter finish. A little rough around the edges with some boozy qualities, and a flavor profile that seems to be missing in mid pallate.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a soft and subdued carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. It's a tasty IPA, though lacking slightly. It's certainly easy to drink, and pleasureable as well. Another solid hop forward offering from our friends at Sierra Nevada.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

two finger size big bubble rocky pearl colored head that has moderate retention and leaves a nice lacing. the beer is a true amber color, and not like an amber beer, but like amber itself. everything from its color to its transparency makes me feel like i should find a mosquito trapped in it or something.

a rich spiced hoppy smell. with a hint of floral and herbal.

a consistant hoppiness with an array of characters as it flows down the palate. it starts off slightly sweet with a hint of bitterness. becomes slightly citrusy, particularly grapefruit, and spiced as it moves towards the back. and finishes florally on the back of the tongue.

properly carbonated light to medium body.

the taste of this beer, though good at first really wears on me. after awhile i feel like im drinking spiced liquid flowers. and its the trademark use of the cascade hops by sierra nevada. this beer is without a doubt a sierra nevada selection, however i think some beer styles require flexibility in the brewery style to make it work, and thats what i would have appreciated from sierra nevada on this extra ipa.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.