Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Torpedo Extra IPATorpedo Extra IPA
4.15/5
Exceptional
Torpedo Extra IPATorpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 11,206 |  Reviews: 2,989

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say? If I am going to go buy a case of IPA its going to be Torpedo! $33 dollars a case in my high priced state, this is a regular beer for me. Not to easy drinking but not hard either. I can drink quite a few of these things in a setting. lol

Very great IPA that will always be a regular for me. Plus, they just started making cans!

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

over the past few months I've been drifting from one ipa to another. There was a time when I wasn't much of a fan. I had a weak sissy lady palate. Now that I have worked on it I quite enjoy the bitter piney flavor. The sierra navada torpedo is one of the best I've come across. The color is fantastic. A rich electric copper with a white gold head. The smell is a complex bitter like the rind of a piney orange. The flavor is a rush of citrus and bitter swirled into an explosion.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color is amber-orange, clear
Aroma piney, citrus,herbal
Taste is hop-forward, grapefruit, orange, well-rounded with malt, sweet bread, finishes citrus- bitter
Mouthfeel is medium, hop-oil with clean finsh

Overall very enjoyable, refreshing. Much more impressed after trying it again, flavor is more balanced after letting the chill come off a bit.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Powerful, strong looking brew. Dark amber w/ an orange-ish tint in the light. Smallish head, but stayed for a while. Sediemtn from the head sticks to the glass.

S - WOW. Grew a little extra nose hair. Lot's going on. Typical IPA hoppiness, but stronger. Pine, mint, dankness.

T - Very strong IPA taste, and all of it quality. VERY strong. Not much of the subtly sweetness I notice in many IPAs here. Not a bad thing, I suppose. Very little malt noticeable. Mostly hops and a touch of mint.

O - An excellent powerful IPA. I highly recommend.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

A-Pours a beautiful clear deep golden color with a hint of amber. The head pours huge at first then settles to a nice 1/4 inch film on the beer, (great retention) and leaves very thick sticky lace. A sight for sore eyes indeed.

S-Very floral and citrus up front, a little piney, and as it warms, the hops really do become tropical fruitish. Like mango and orange. Not overrated in the least. Some malt in the back. Mainly pale malts, not so much caramel.

T-The flavor has a solid bitterness with tropical fruity hoppy goodness. Cirtus hops bursts on my tongue with each sip. Lots of pale malts in the back. Hops are the star in this show though.

M-Very crisp yet creamy,and almost full bodied. Slightly dry in the end, which is a good thing).

D-Very drinkable, I could almost session these, (almost).

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Clear golden body with a slight amber tint. Big pillowy, white head that really sticks to the sides.

S- Big citrusy hop aroma. Can pick up a very slight bready malt note hidden in there too.

T- Semi-sweet bread malts just touches the tongue and then is blasted away by the huge hop flavor. Nice citrus and pine hop taste. Leave a slight lingering bitterness.

M- Medium body that is very smooth with a easy carbonation throughout.

D- Great example of a big-hop IPA using those distinctive west coast hops.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Big grapefruit and pine, lightly toasted malt, caramel and some yeast in the aroma. The appearance is deep golden with a copper hue. The head is rather small but OK for the style. The flavor is like the aroma with lots of hops and some yeastiness. It also has a nice bread like aftertaste with a bit of soapiness. The palate is smooth. Outstanding.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

I thoroughly enjoyed this brew. Great color, smell, and taste. I'd recommend it to anyone who can handle a bitter beer. I bought a 12 pack of bottles my first time having it, and honestly I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but once I opened the bottle and caught a whiff i knew I was going to love it. One of my favorites in recent memories. Also, in my opinion, it's great cold, however, I think it tastes a little better after letting it get just a tad warm. Enjoy.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 11,206 ratings