Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 2,907 | Ratings: 10,867
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours clear copper with a medium persistent head. Aroma is very nice hops- citrusy- grapefruit, and piney. Taste is dominated by delicious hops. Citrus, pine- resinous. A nice strong pleasant bitterness. A nice amount of malt sweetness to provide just a bit of balance. Full bodied. Easily drinkable and overall a very good IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I can't believe it took me so long to get around to trying this beer that is so highly touted and so readily available...and now that I have, I'm glad I bought six.

Delicious. It's hoppy, but not ridiculously so, has a nice high ABV content with different subtle flavours (rather than just being straight-up hoppy and bitter, which I also enjoy)...I can't believe a beer this delicious with 7.2% ABV has such a respectably low price point of barely over $1 a bottle. Definitely worth checking out, IPA lover or otherwise.

12oz bottle dated 8/11/15

Look: Clear amber, poured 1 inch white head that lasted. Significant lacing on the glass

Smell: Pine, but not overwhelmingly so. Citrus - smells more like orange than grapefruit to me. Very pleasant. Also getting something tropical, maybe mango or papaya.

Taste: Sweet off the top which gives way to pleasant bitterness. Grapefruit --> Pine. Hop character lasted notably between sips.

Feel: Moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is full initially but quickly dissipates. Would never clock this at 7.20% if I hadn't known beforehand. Lacks any heat whatsoever from the alcohol. Very drinkable.

Overall: Wonderfully balanced offering with some surprises. I'm still trying to pin down what I'm smelling and there's a high likelihood I'll be returning to this regularly.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Picked up a six at Total Wine in Greenville, SC for $7.99. By decoding the freshness date I determined that the beer was bottled on 01/06/09 so it was extremely fresh. Upon opening the stubby brown bottle a wonderful aroma of piney, citrusy hops immediately reached my nose. No other beer I have ever tried smelled so good right after opening the bottle. Poured a crystal clear amber orange color with large off white head with plenty of sticky lacing. Taste is WOW, all about hops, hops, and more hops. Citrus and pine flavors dominate with just enough sweet malt to help balance out the hops bitterness. Think of it as a SN Celebration Ale on steroids.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

A - The Sierra Nevada Torpedo pours into a chalice a foggy bronze color with an ample cream-colored head.

B - I always say it with brews like this ... I LOVE the "fresh" aroma that hoppy beers emit. The fresh hops aroma is accompanied by a grapefruity smell.

T - The nose is transferred to the palate. Nice balance of sweet and bitter hops here. The front is grapefruit hops, wonderful blends in the middle (some sweetish/honey malt-like flavors in the middle) ... the finish has a hint of a bitter hop flavor.

M - Medium/heavy body, nice effervescence, and a nice dry finish ... leading you, conveniently, to the next sip.

D - A delicious brew, expertly crafted. Hopilicious.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

This is my second review of a Sierra Nevada label, and only my second real review of an IPA, and I must say, I am becoming indoctrinated to the style! This IPA is rated at 7.2% alcohol by volume (abv).

12oz bottle poured into my favorite glass. Not real cold, call it 50F, I let it sit a couple minutes before I drank it after opening it.

Appearance: Beautiful golden orange haze. Nice moderate head, even poured kind of aggressive it was just right.

Nose: Wonderful warm and bright hops, pungent, and crisp. Piney, floral overtones. Pleasant, and smells of quality. Makes me WANT to drink it. It gets clearer after a couple minutes as some of the bubbles work themselves out.

Taste: Nice and crisp, definitely lots of hops but also smooth. A decent amount of carbonation but not too fizzy. Maybe the premium malts in there tone down the sharp bitterness of the hops. I expected more bite (but it DOES have a nice one), and it does leave a nice after-bitter on the back of the tongue. Very pleased with the flavor. Again, as it warms a bit while I type this review, the flavors become more pronounced and enjoyable. Honestly, the alcohol is well masked and does not detract from the flavors at all.

Mouthfeel: Perfect! Not thin at all, a bit of chewiness that I can feel on the teeth. It feels substantial but not thick or syrupy. Leaves a coating that stays a bit. Does not inhibit going back for another drink immediately, in fact, it's so easy to down that I could go overboard on this 7.2% abv and get quite buzzed haha.

Drinkability: Awesome. I want another! Nice lacing that stays as the beer goes down and a thin head that follows to the last drink. I WILL be buying this again, and again...

Overall: Being new to the IPA world, I don't want to over rate this one, but it's "damn good" and I look forward to more of this one. Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Orange Amber color with a thick white foamy head. Very nice Head retention.

S - Scents of pine and citrus.

T - Grapefruit and other citrus flavors with some pine and some spiciness. Fruity up front mellowing to a slightly spicy dry finish.

M - Medium to full bodied with a nice mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

D - Beautiful blend of malt and hops. Well done and enjoyable IPA from our friends at Sierra Nevada!

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Picked this up on sale at Jenny Street Market in Madison.

Poured a darker copper/amber color with an average head and pretty good lacing.

Smell is nice citrus hops. Very nice. Some pine notes as well.

Taste is very good. Great bitter flavor throughout with some malt some malt coming through.

Mouthfeel was light to medium. Went down smooth and easy.

Great beer. I really enjoyed. Would love to get some more of these.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Warning: This beer is not for the weak!

The first time I drank it, I found it to be very strong both in flavor and in strength. It was very different to the lagers I'm used to drinking. After a while, it grew on me and was able to drink it with ease.

The main thing I like about this beer is that it actually tastes like beer, not a watered down carbonated drink such as Bud Light. Even thought it's alcohol content is higher than usual, I can't taste the alcohol in this one as much as in other beers. What I do taste is the strong aroma and rich complex flavors.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my go to IPA for both me and my husband. My local grocery store always has it cold and ready to go. It's a solid IPA - enough bitter hops and all of the IPA flavors I love - grass, citrus, pine, etc.

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look - Hazy copper golden orange with a good slight tan head
Smell - definitely smell the hops with a good amount of pine and citrus. Smells bitter at the end
Taste - greatehoppy taste with some citrus tang and a good piny after taste and of course bitter
Feel - thick, crispy bit carbonated but still really good.
Overall - for the price, this is one of my go to beers. You really can never go wrong with it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright, clear copper with a slightly off white creamy head with excellent retention as well as sticky side glass lacing.
A: Hops, and more hops. Grapefruit rind and tart but also gets some balance from some bready malts, but the hops still dominate.
Taste: Get the citrus of grapefruit rinds and pineapple, spice and also creamy malts. Is dry with a bitter finish.
Excellent!

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint

A – Pours a hazy deep bright gold with a one-finger head of eggshell colored suds. Good retention and lacing, lasting until the glass was done. (Although that’s admittedly not that long, haha)

S – Resinous hops and citrus. Overall aroma fairly pungent.

T – Grapefruit bomb alert!! Seriously though, this beer does have a rich malt profile balanced with bitter, piney, west coast hops. In addition to the aforementioned grapefruit, also has esters of orange and tropical fruits (papaya). The hop choice is excellent, as it manages to be suitably grassy and some herbal character comes out in the finish. Very flavorful, and everything blends together wonderfully here. 7.2% abv not detectable but adds body and depth.

M – Medium bodied with prickly carbonation, and a perfect accent to the flavors. Finishes dry, letting the hops linger and dance on the back of the tongue. Absolutely nailed it here.

O – Outstanding. Just a really solid, balanced, flavorful, and complex IPA. Enough going on to keep your taste buds from getting bored. I immediately wanted to down the whole glass. Now is my staple beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding I PA. Citrus and pine with strong floral notes in the aroma. Combined with a multi-backbone the hop bitterness is just right and not overbearing. The aftertaste does linger a bit longer than normal. That being said, this is an outstanding I PA.

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Pours in a great pristine copper color that turns your vessel into a great beer goggle. Looking through "rose-colored glasses?" How about looking through this amazing colored malted hop glass? The world will look a lot better I promise!!!! Average white head on the Torpedo.

Great floral and star-fruit smell a hint of currant and oak.

Enters the palate full, creamy and dreamy. Great hop characters. Piney, raisiny and a hint of citrus and maybe apples come to mind.

Warning this beer will lend to contagious de-capping. Heavy enough to enjoy one or two but leaves you wanting to come back for more and more.

Thank you Sierra Nevada for making this IPA. It's something I've been waiting for!

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Serving: Bottle into an ale glass.

A: Poured a clear copper color with half an inch of fully developed head. Fairly carbonated. The head has died down after a couple of minutes to about an eight of an inch with a gob of lace left on the side of the glass. Awesome.

S: The smell is pretty upfront with floral, piney hops, but there is some malt in there too.

T: Malty with almost perfectly matched bitter hops. Somewhat more bitter than the regular pale ale but it balances with the added malt. Very good. I've had this beer many times and it's always very good.

M: Has a full bodied, carbonated feel in the mouth. Leaves a little bitter on the finish.

D: I love this IPA and try to keep it in my fridge. Definitely something I would want to have "on a desert island".

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Although I tend to get draft beers 98% of the time when I’m out I couldn’t pass this up for the price.

This poured a caramel-tan color with a thick foam topping, like a cottony cloud. There’s a big hop aroma. It’s crisp, with hints of squeezed grapefruit, grassy hops and some piney notes. The flavor follows suit, with notes of grapefruit and piney hops that emerge as it warms. Dry finish with a touch of chewy malt.

So common as to be overlooked and unappreciated, as if I needed another reminder.

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled 19Dec14) into a Mikasa ale glass. Pours with a finger worth of off-white foam that dissipates to half a fingers worth within 30 seconds. Amber in color. Mild bubbles. Has an amazing balance of citrus, floral, pine, and malt aromas with none of them overtaking the other in strength. Initial taste is strong with floral flavors that combine with mild malt flavors. Strong pine flavors and mild citrus flavors enter shortly after as the intial floral and malt flavors persist to create an explosive symphony of deliciousness. Medium-bodied with a crisp finish that leaves the mouth dry. Sierra Nevada has once again created a work of art.

A: deep amber body, nice 1 finger head, good lacing

S: big lemon grass, nice malt,

T: grapefruit/orange, big pine malt, slow long bitter finish

M: med body, good oily mouth

O: Finally had a SN offering that I love. AP Level-IPA and the ABV is well hidden. Interesting and slightly different American IPA.

VERY GOOD, WORTH TRYING!

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Favorite go to for many reasons... Taste, availability and price keep this in my fridge on a regular basis. Sti ll one of the best after trying every ipa i can get my hands on!!!

4.48/5  rDev +9%

I recieved a six pack of Torpedo from Pudge43 in a trade - thank you much my friend!

I have enjoyed Sierra Nevada beers for years now and I was so excited to hear about a new IPA. Due to our current beer laws I wasn't able to get ahold of a six pack through the normal channels so I traded for it.

Poured into a Duvel tulip this IPA has a russet amber color with amazing clarity, a white head, and a fine lacing throughout the session. Amazing look!

The aroma is of fresh malt, juicy hop oils, orange rind, pineapple, and pears. The aroma is light in the nose compared to some IPA's.

The taste is explosive. Up front is a huge malt backbone with an amazing bouquet of floral hop resins. A huge burst of apple, pine, pepper, tannins, wheat-like flavors, and a tart medicinal sharpness capture my Torpedo experience - amazing flavor!

The mouthfeel is not unlike many great IPA's. This has a definate west coast lightness in the mouth - nothing surupy going on here. The massive malt backbone makes this a well balanced beer.

This might be the most drinkable IPA ever created - with PTE being the only exception I've encountered. I would love to do a side-by-side comparison of the two. I think Torpedo would match up nicely.

This is now my favorite Sierra Nevada brew - I think they're doing great things there in Chico and I always look forward to trying more of their great beers. Great Job the Torpedo Extra IPA!

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this stuff,
Always pick it up If I can not choose what to get, and I always go home take that first sip and am extremely happy I made the decision. Cannot go wrong with this beer, If you love IPA or even if you don't. An easy drink and a low price craft A+

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%

Golden-amber in colour with a creamy 1.5 finger head that shows decent retention and lacing.
Lots going on in the aroma-- sweet fruitiness and honey, citrus, and pine.
Wonderfully balanced-- solid caramel toasty malt backbone that supports the piney, floral hop bitterness. Finishes with a bit of lingering pine but not overly bitter.
Medium body and modest carbonation create a rich and creamy mouthfeel.
I'm thoroughly enjoying this beer. It provides a ton of hop flavour without being one-dimensional/overly bitter. I'd gladly/easily knock back a few of these in a row.

For 7.99 a sixer, this puts any Ontario craft beer (which start at around $11-12), let alone IPA to shame. I'll definitely be picking more up on future trips to that country to the south.

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful golden red copper color with bright clarity, a fluffy thick head that dissapates into a web of lacing, and an aroma of citrus fruit, herbal hop, buttered toast, cereal, cooked sugar. Taste was wonderful citrus flavors, not overly pungent, herbal and slightly minty undertones, biscuity malts, dark sweet sugars. Nice mouthfeel and carbonation that doesn't bite and coats the mouth nicely. Overall a tasty IPA that leans toward the citrusy and sweet side of the spectrum. Not quite heavy enough to be a double IPA, hence the "extra" moniker.

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Deep Amber/Gold with a touch of haze and very good lacing. Nice frothy white head as well, two and a half fingers with a semi-aggressive pour.

Smell: Pungent, spicy, fruity citrus, herbal notes, with a crackery, sweet malt back. Very clean and sharp.

Taste: Very similar to aroma, a big bite of bitterness hits first and then come in pungent notes of herbal spice and fruity citrus, as well as some pine on the finish. The malt makes a nice appearance as well, giving a nice toastiness to the beer that balances out the abrasiveness of the hops.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated and a slightly oily, medium bodied mouthfeel. Very smooth.

Overall, a great hoppy ale! Not the typical pine/grapefruit character you get from the swarms of other west-coast ipas on the shelf. This boasts a pungent fruity citrus character with big amounts of hop spiciness, as well as some very nice toasty malt notes without getting to sweet. Take into account the ease at which one can find this beer, and that it now comes in 16oz cans, you have a real winner.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.