Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 2,863 | Ratings: 10,684
4.61/5  rDev +12.2%

This is exactly what an IPA should be in my opinion. Bitter but not overpowering. Incredibly smooth. Can taste subtle floral and citrus notes. Not too heavy or too light.

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

Bitter, Bitter, bitter and MORE bitter!
I think this is the first IPA I have ever really DISliked! This really shocked me.
I love most IPAs ( and I really like all of the other Sierra Nevada ales and beers I have tried).
The bitterness totally covers up any other flavor that might be there.
This one is a one-trick pony, and the trick is not very good
I won't buy this one again.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured 38F into a tulip snifter from the 22 ounce bomber.

Average overall.

Not a bad ale, but I was expecting so much more from this.

Every flavor seems subdued. The grain load feels light, the IBU's feel very light and the hops don't have much bite, the yeast is clean but underpitched.

I taste cane or corn sugar the most in the flavor profile, and that makes sense, considering the $3.99 price point. Majority of fermentables are cheap adjunct ingredients. On level with those crappy Sam Adams attempts at IPA's.

You get what you pay for.

I would have purchased Hop Hunter instead but it was bottled 6 months prior. (Union Distributors) still not maintaining their planograms.

definitely a neo-classic....whereas the pale ale is a true 'classic'....solid on all counts

pricepoint is not an issue, but yet...it is! this is a STEAL!

key here is this is a BALANCED hop 'bomb'....a true masterpiece...not need for specific tasting notes

this is the sort of brew that will win many over, scare away the unworthy...

don't change a thing! but do offer seasonal variations of this....experimental Torpedo....yes, please

3.89/5  rDev -5.4%

Hilariously, this was my first ever IPA, and I learned a lot from it. You can find Torpedo in hella places, from a Bodega in Brooklyn to upscale supermarkets to (odds are) wherever you happen to live. And it isn't expensive. My first take on this was that the smell, look, and feel were interesting, but it tasted like drinking pine tree juice. However, now that I've become much more accustomed to drinking IPAs, I think it's balanced: it tastes citrusy and floral (like a pine tree), but in a tasty way. It ends a bit bitter, but not overly so. This beer is proof that good things don't necessarily have to come with a 20 dollar price tag or overly hopped. I think there are many brewing companies that could take a hint from this.

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From bottle poured to wine glass-
Appearance: Deep dark yellow, copper color, minimal head some lacing
Smell: Dominant smell is hops with hint of citrus
Taste: Good balance of bitter
Feel: very good,
Overall: very good beer

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Favorite go to for many reasons... Taste, availability and price keep this in my fridge on a regular basis. Sti ll one of the best after trying every ipa i can get my hands on!!!

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Incredibly smooth and balanced IPA. Pours a dark amber with a white head and lacing that each retained well. Taste is a sweet citrus with a nice hoppy, piney edge to it. Smell is sweet and fruity. Mouth-feel is super smooth. I highly recommend this. One of my favorite IPAs so far.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Dark amber color with quite subtle visible carbonation. Relatively large head. Retains well.

Has a distinct sweetness to its otherwise very hoppy smell. Notes of malt and pine.

Not at all as big of a hop-sensation as I thought, with the hops taking a split second before making an appearance. The distinct sweetness of the smell makes its appearance in the aftertaste which stays for a delightfully long amount of time.

Additionally, this is an incredibly smooth beer. So much so that the beer it reminds me the most of that I've had recently is Lagunitas Imperial Pils.

I can't think of a beer that is more price-worthy than this. This is not the best beer ever brewed, but for the price-point it does not have to be.

I recently switched from shitty beers like pabst (which is the best macro beer) to some craft beers. i've tried dogfish head 90 minute iPad and resin double iPa and heard Sierra Nevada made good beer. I loved the dfh and the resin was ok, but the torpedo blew my mind. The best beer I've ever had.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a great go to IPA. Pours a nice Amber with a nice citrus pine nose. The hops hit you up front but then balances out. Mouthful is smooth, almost perfect. Nice bitter finish. When in doubt check this out, well done.

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a light amber color. Has aroma of piny hops. Nice hoppy flavor with a balanced finish. Pretty smooth drink with a nice hoppy aftertaste. Overall really solid beer

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

this review is mostly on taste. i lke it, its decent for the price and availability. its strong but smooth although it does leave a long lasting bitter after taste which is fine i guess.would i buy this beer again? probably but with so many other ipas out there that are about the same its hard to yes for sure. overall a good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

My go-to beer. What an IPA should be: crisp, refreshing, flavor that lingers. The pine character of the beer does not overpower the citrus, leaving a complex yet smooth taste. One of the best around.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into english pint.
Pours slightly hazy light copper beer with good portion (2-finger) of bubbly golden head, good retention, rocky, some laces.
Smell - pine resin, nut cookies, citrus, delicious combination.
Taste - flowery at first, nice citrusy hops ensue. Medium-bodied and essential.
Not extreme at all, but very well-balanced and smooth, icon of the style.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A consistently good brew that is easy drinking and we'll worth the affordable price ($16.00/12 in CT). I would highly recommend this brew to any IPA lover!

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Total classic, and I kinda love that the taste is "classic IPA" in nature -- oodles of piney bitterness in this one. Some caramel sweetness as well that pokes through, but the story here is that piney bitterness that sits on the back of your tongue well through the last gulp. Nose is nice, pine, caramel, some faint citrus and a light herbal/earthy character. It's a funny thing -- I may not score something like this quite as high as some of my other favorite IPAs, but I also view it as a sort of beer equivalent of comfort food, the sort of thing I want to reach for more often than some of those higher scored brews. I suppose that might suggest a higher score here. I'll have to chew on that. In the meanwhile, this is one I continue to turn to when I need something that I know tastes like an IPA should.

3.49/5  rDev -15.1%

My expectation was high. Not disappointed. This is pure goodness, I as I believe most IPAs are.
Nice amber color with decent head/carbonation.
Decided to go with the 6-pack bottles instead of the 12 pack.
Seems overly acidic.
It is not in my top 5 of IPAs, but was more than enjoyable!

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

Can you drink a meadow? Can you drink a pine tree? Maybe not, but you can drink Torpedo. The aroma is matched by a fresh flavor. None of the fruity esters run wild here. It's pure mountain ale, if such a thing could exist. This ale is like what Coors claimed to be.

The color is a medium-amber. The head suds up well and retains, lacing to the bottom of the glass.

The smell is a strong point. A strong execution of dry-hopping makes itself known in an aroma that contains a hint of mountain pine forest. It's an aroma that is fully consistent with the Sierra Nevada theme of mountain beer. If you could brew in a piney forest, from a piney forest, it seems like this aroma is what you would get. It doesn't fade out or dissipate while you're enjoying it (I'm looking at you admittedly subtle Total Domination). It doesn't make your eyes water with excess and require decanting like a fine wine (I'm looking at you Rebel). Open, pour and drink.

The taste is totally consistent with the aroma. It's not harsh at all. It's a refreshing ale that seems to revel in its aesthetic. There's no bland toast feeling here, as with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's loaded with citric flavor. While the IBU is elevated, it's fully supported by the experience and seems appropriate. As with several powerhouse IPAs, eating cheese or another such dish with the ale can amp the experience up to 11 and avoid experiencing too much bitterness.

The feel is solid. It's appropriate. It doesn't feel watery at all. Nor is it heavy. Really, I was too busy enjoying my metaphorical hike through the mountains to notice the feel at all, even while trying. That tells me it is consistent and right for the ale.

Sierra Nevada has an aim - an ultimate aesthetic. They never have stopped trying in all these years to capture it more fully. It's right there in the graphics on the bottle. It's what all that Coors advertising was going on about (shamelessly, since Coors is swill). Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is just a rough draft, although it does have a remarkable note of mountain freshness in the finish. In Torpedo, that single remarkable note in Pale Ale is more fully realized.

3.59/5  rDev -12.7%

An exceptionally strong-flavored IPA that bears a striking resemblance to Stone's Arrogant Bastard in terms of its bitter, roasted malt backbone. I do like this IPA, but it is not a sessionable beer in the slightest.

A: Great dark amber color with a medium sized head with small bubbles. Hazy.

S: Medium hop presence with a sweet malt aroma.

T: The bitterness is refreshing at first when many brewers these days are malting the heck out of their IPA's to make them tolerable for people who don't like bitterness, but it will wear you down by the end. Aroma hops are a little lacking but flavor hops are reasonably present. Bittering hops are almost spot-on - just a little less would be about right. I like the roasted malts - they add a lot of complexity.

M: Highly carbonated and on the bitter side, this beer does not go down especially smoothly.

Overall I just don't think this is a beer I'll pick up again. It's really kickass for the first 100 mL or so, but the bitterness just wears you down after a while and gets in the way of tasting everything else in this beer. Against my benchmark Two Hearted Ale, this beer really does put on a better show with more and more complex flavor, but the balance Two Hearted brings to the table is something to aspire to.

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I love this beer. IMHO it is one of the best mass produced American IPAs available. It pours darker than you'd expect and has a piney, citrus aroma. Mouth feel is denser than you'd expect and the finish is a serious but not obnoxious sour hops bite that leaves a nice aftertaste. I buy this one in 12 pks whenever it breaks the $18 price point.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Bitter..big hop notes. Lemon peel. .
Dark caramel color. Full body. Almost heavy.

Good ipa if you want a tart one. .
Pretty good
Not my first choice but many people love it.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm no hop head, but love this beer. Plenty smooth and malty to balance the ample hop load. Balance and ingredient compatibility are key in brewing outstanding beer, Torpedo is spot on.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it in a pint glass from a 350ml bottle.
A: Golden amber color, with not so many bubbles. At the beginning, around 3 fingers of thick head that melted to 1.
S: This is, IMO, where this beer is incredible. The smell is so delicious I could spend the days just smelling it. The first impression is just freshness. Piney hops, and citrus (grapefruit or lemon). After some sniffs, I could detect some rose or caramel.
T: Even though the taste is a bomb of bitterness, this beer tricks you at the beginning. First, I started tasting the grapefruit and pine I smelled, along with some grass, and very subtle malty/bready notes. Then the bitterness kicks in. And it does it so it takes over anything else. This feeling keeps going on even in the aftertaste. To me, this amount of bitterness blew my mind. However, after few sips, I got used to the bitterness and could appreciate more notes I could detect with the smell before.
F: The feeling is, of course, bitter. Except for the first milliseconds, the bitterness is there. Medium carbonation, but a nice feeling. The taste evolves as you drink more and more. The beer is quite heavy, and I could feel the alcohol when I was finishing it.
O: Very nice experience. Even though I prefer the normal IPA from Sierra Nevada, this was a very pleasant experience.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy orange with a one-finger white head. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - Aromas of grapefruit, orange peel, and big piney hops.

T - There is a citrus peel and piney hops right upfront. Once the citrus fades the bitterness kicks in. The bitterness is aggressive and lasts through the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very dry mouthfeel.

O - This is one big bad DIPA. Lots of piney hops and aggressive bitterness.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.