Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 10,959 |  Reviews: 2,931
3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours clear and a beautiful brown. Milder aroma than I expected and just slightly sudsy but pleasantly so. Excellent carbonation out of the bottle - just right on the palate. Unlike some of the other reviews, I did not detect any lingering stickiness. But enough about that - drink this because of the explosive bold strong taste, complex hoppiness, lingering citrus bitterness and piney notes in the back. Just a great tasting beer.

4.71/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Procured two 12 oz. singles at the grocery store to try this beer out.
Side poured into a 12 oz Saint Arnold tester glass procured on a brewery tour.
Thin crisp head with an initial blast of carbonation to the surface which dissipated rapidly and was followed by an excellent sticky lacing that lasted until the end of the glass. The smell of this beer is very interesting, bright pine, hoppy. Forgive me that my smell description leaves things to be desired to be more accurate. Mouthfeel is excellent. It hits the tongue crisply and leaves a lingering feel that is nice.The taste of this beer is very nice. Its very smooth and well blended and leaves a nice aftertaste. You will not detect the ABV because its not real high and it is very well hidden. I really like this beer a lot and it will be one of my regulars. The bottle describes a revolutionary dry hopping process and perhaps this is the defining element of the distinctive qualities of this beer. I drank the first one about a week ago and loved it. Decided to wait a week and see if I liked it as much on the second bottle I had. I do. Its a great beer and to me so far, very unique!
I am now going to add a new parameter to my review. I am going to call it "Afterglass". This is when I leave just a little beer left in my glass and let it warm up all the way and then smell it and taste it. I had to smell it a few times to get a full nose of the beer. The "afterglass" had a very pleasant aroma that I am not sure how to describe. It reminds me of something but I am not sure what it is yet. That having been said, I now understand even more why I like this brew so much.
Thanks,
Pops4Hops

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.