Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 10,941 |  Reviews: 2,928

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

overall, I'm a big fan of the products Sierra Nevada makes: consistent flavor, quality ingredients, reasonable price for a craft beer... but this is only an average IPA. It's not what I would consider an "Extra IPA" as listed on the label. Sierra Nevada's website goes into detail describing the "hop torpedo" they developed to infuse hop flavor into this beer. Back to the drawing board SN, the hop flavor and aroma in this beer are pretty subdued. It doesn't have any of the bite, or the citrus/pine elements that are found in other IPA's. That said, it's very drinkable and for $13 per 12 pack at TWM, it's a good deal for a craft beer, but if you are looking for an IPA to knock your socks off, you are going to have to spend a bit more.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottom Line: Great example of a typical IPA that emphasizes Hops more than flavor, but still has a nice subtle flavor profile.

Food Pairing Recommendations: Pair with something creamy and rich. Things that have cheese, like pizza or hot sandwiches, go well with this. The beer does not have too much flavor of its own, but the flavors it has are subtle and incorporate well with food without being overpowering.

My Story:
I bought my first 12-pk of SN Torpedo, because I was looking to buy SN Big Foot Ale and the liquor store was all out. Needless to say, drinking my first Torpedo while being in the mood for a Big Foot Ale left me sorely disappointed.

Fast forward one week - I was eating cream of chicken and broccoli soup, with a turkey sandwich with mayo and mustard, and I needed a beer to wash it down with. My girlfriend cracked open a cold Big Foot Ale to enjoy, so I decided to crack open one of these. Lo and behold, my second bottle of Torpedo REALLY HIT THE SPOT! Compared side by side, the Big Foot Ale's flavors were too overpowering to pair well with what I was eating and made the experience less enjoyable. On the other hand, the Torpedo was a perfect pairing IPA. Cold, refreshing, and great for using to wash down a big bite of grub.

I'm sold on Torpedo now, and at the $14-15 price for a 12-pk, I'm happy to say that it deserves a place as a household staple.

2.01/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I fall into the minority of, "Why all the glowing reviews, folks???" for this particular brew. I've been right up there in agreement with the previous BA reviews I've based beer purchases on until this one. This one puzzles me greatly, as it is my first "double-u tee eff" experience with this site. IPA's are my go-to. From regular to hop-tacular, to double, triple, 90, 120-minute, evil, sinister, unforgiven IPA's. Bring on the attacky, hoppy, citrusy aromas. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, SN Torpedo Extra IPA has none of that. I struggle to understand how the term IPA is even associated with this beer. I wanted to love this beer... especially since SN's Pale Ale is so above-average as a mass-produced beer.

The look of this beer is fine. A promising, rich, dark amber, with a respectable head. But anything beyond what my eyes can observe turns negative.

My first reaction to the smell was, "Really?" It immediately brought me back to the overpowering, sickly, yeasty smell of going past the Sleeman brewery as a child. It smells skunky, like a Labatt 50 that's been soaking in the sun too long. Definitely lager-esque. But surely, this is a well-respected IPA, so it must not taste like that.

It tastes like that. Maybe the only positive thing I can say is that it tastes like beer, but not any beer I've tasted. Did I get a bad batch? Maybe it sat for a couple weeks in a hot truck during transit?

The nose has a fun bite and attacks my taste buds alright. However, it is not nearly worth the 5 milliseconds of fun my mouth enjoys until my brain deciphers the flavor and has to endure it for another 10 seconds. Overly yeasty. I keep looking for those bright, piney hops and subtle grapefruit. Nowhere to be found. I hate wasting craft beer, so I finished it. Even gave it another shot today before writing the review.

After drinking my first SN Torpedo, I immediately emailed a fellow IPAer to warn him to steer clear. Unfortunately he'd already experienced this beer, but didn't have the decency to warn me. Oh well -- maybe I can save others the trouble. I know how harsh it sounds, but this is easily the most disappointing beer I've ever bought. Sierra Nevada, I know you can do better.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.84/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A light amber, with excellent clarity. The hefty ivory head is determined not to go anywhere, a trend I see with all Sierra Nevada beers.

Smell: The hop smells are of fresh earth, herbs, and spearmint. Not as hefty as other American IPAs, but still fitting for the style. The pale malt provides a solid base for the welcoming bouquet.

Taste: Nothing about the taste reminds me of an "extra" powerful "torpedo," but it's definitely a good, albeit surprisingly mild IPA. The hop flavor is more substantial than the bitterness, but it does not disappoint with its complex fresh and earthy profile. The pale malt produces a bit of vanilla sweetness as the beer warms, but this does not detract from the IPA character. Bitterness is mild, and does not linger long in the finish. Would have liked to have tasted more of a bitter "bite."

Mouthfeel: Medium fullness, with medium carbonation. Only slightly dry. A good mouthfeel for the flavor.

Overall: A tasty, notable IPA, that I would certainly have again. I would have liked more bitterness...the "torpedo" descriptor is definitely misleading! Good for folks just getting into IPAs.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.