Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Liked This Beer
4.16 w/ 11,012 ratings
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Liked:
4.16/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 11,012 |  Reviews: 2,940

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA is often referred to as the best fair priced IPA. It is consistently stated as a go to beer for many hop-heads out there such as myself. I cannot wait to review this ever so respectable brew. Enjoy!

Appearance- Beautiful golden amber hue to this beer. With the initial pour, there is about a one finger head that seems to be lasting quite a while. Definitely a creamy head but there are some large bubbles. It has low transparency and has medium to high carbonation. Great appearance to this beer.

Smell- With the first sniff of this IPA, I get a reasonable hit of floral and piney hops. With the second waft, I get some tropical hints of orange with a crisp finish to the nose. Final smell with a swirl of the glass there is definitely more presence of bitter hops there is a strong bit of hops in this beer without a doubt.

Taste- Right on the back of the tongue you get a beautiful dry pine and floralness to this brew. Followed directly by that sense of orange that I pick up before with even a little grapefruit possibly. Second sip I get wow way more of the tropical tastes with just a bite of hops to finish it off. Very impressed with the taste especially the dryness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Very very smooth to drink for 7.2% it’s totally hidden and well balanced. It is a medium bodied beer that is just light enough to enjoy multiple in an evening. This mouthfeel is how I expect an American IPA to be.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoy this beer and would definitely keep a six pack of this at all times in the fridge. I would recommend it to every craft beer drinker and even to those who are just now exploring the realms of IPA's. There is a bitterness to it but not too overwhelming for anyone. This beer is a two thumbs up. CHEERS!

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

This is one of the best readily-available IPAs I've ever had.

The fact that you can wander into an average NYC deli and walk out with this beer is astounding to me. I got one of those awesome "bomber" bottles, they're just so darn good to look at.

Very hoppy, almost aggressively so, with a nice bite. Aggressive in a good way.

Fruity, citrusy, refreshing.

Sierra Nevada in my opinion walks a fine line, and to be as popular and widespread as they are, I think this beer is a reminder that they can make some pretty amazing stuff on that large of a scale. I really like this beer and if I'm going somewhere (party/bbq/etc.) and need to grab something to take with me, it's great to know that I can get this in almost any deli or supermarket in my neighborhood.

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89.6% out of 100 with 11,012 ratings