Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Liked This Beer
4.16 w/ 11,012 ratings
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.34/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a really nice looking beer as it is poured into a tulip. Dark amber with a nice two inch or more head. Nice lacing as you drink it.

Nice hoppy aroma.

As for taste, I will qualify this by saying taste is, admittedly, subjective. This just doesn't work for me. I do prefer balance in my IPA but can still appreciate a really hoppy IPA. This one, while very popular, just doesn't work for me.

Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, I've picked it u before and realized it wasn't the IPA for me. I picked it up by mistake this time and decided to review it. I know there are many who love it but it just doesn't work for me.

4.16/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a white head that leaves a lot of lacing. Smell is mostly of pine and citrus, your usual West Coast IPA flavors. Taste is mostly of pine as well with a good amount of bitterness that lingers for a while. A bit underwhelming when it comes to flavor though. I wish there were more citrus and floral notes in there, but the flavor seems to pass pretty quickly. Mouth is smooth, maybe a bit too heavy, but with just the right amount of carbonation. Overall this is a pretty good IPA, but nowhere near the best I've had. I've always been slightly disappointed with Sierra Nevada's offerings, and this isn't an exception. I always find myself comparing different IPAs to Stone's and this is one that just doesn't come close. The balance seems slightly off compared to other IPAs I've tried, most notably Green Flash Imperial IPA, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, and of course Stone IPA.

Re-review 4/19/2015

Pours orange in color with a huge white head that leaves tons of lacing. Smell is grapefruit, orange, pine, and bready malts. I get a very "beery" smell from this. Maybe it's the yeast, but something about it reminds me of a macro. Taste follows the nose. Just a bit of mango in there as well. Really bitter. Maybe a little too malty for my IPA tastes. Mouthfeel is pretty good, if a little thick. The bitterness lingers a bit too long as well. Overall, this is a very good IPA. I was a bit too harsh on it last time. It's been a few years since I've had it last and my palate has really evolved. I'm able to appreciate this beer a lot more.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A little off-white head covers a visibly carbonated, rich, deep copper brew. Smells of pine and soapy hops, caramel malts, and some red fruity yeast scent. It tastes of ruby red puckering grapefruit. A few sips in, the circular lacing is spectacular. There's a bitter-sour hop aftertaste, but malts in the mid-mouth adequately balance out this extra IPA. Some earthy and roasty flavors ground soaring scents of an excellent hop mix. The carbonation is milder than I expected, just a little tingly and perfect for the beer and style. Medium, pleasant mouth feel.

This is a great IPA, with a fuller and stronger version of the Sierra Nevada signature, most brilliantly displayed by SNPA. Love it.

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On tap at some weird bar in Miami. This was surprisingly fresh though.

A: Nice amber color. A bit hazy but not much. Nice white head that lingered for a while.
S: Fresh pine, citrus, and spiciness dominates. A nice malty aroma to back it up as well.
T: Excellent tongue bashing hops. I get the first huge hope bite that later balances out with the sweet malts. A nice pine and citrusy taste followed by some grassiness and malty sweetness. A bit of an alcohol bite as well.
M: A bit heavy. Syrupy. Reminds me of fresh 120 minute. Sticky, resinous and a bit dry. Carbonation was great for the style.
O: A great beer that was only hindered by the syrupy mouthfeel.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%

Can purchased at Skylark in Rochester, NY.

Pours a slightly hazy pale orange, with a one inch head, and a lot of lacing down the glass.

Smells like pine resin, grapefruit, pineapple, and slight bready malt.

I don't get any malt in the taste here, just a big hop explosion. There's a good amount of spicy and peppery hops, a good amount of searing pine bitterness. This is balanced out by some juicy orange and grapefruit citrus flavors. This definitely has the classic Sierra Nevada hop flavor to it- rustic and earthy, and very full- due to the use of whole-cone hops, I'd guess.

This one is medium bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation, a crisp and juicy mouthfeel. This one is really, really drinkable for it's intensity.

A classic IPA, one that I can have again and again and not get sick of.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I cannot think of one IPA that can be purchased at a gas station or local convenient store that brings such quality, flavor, aroma. The torpedo is well balanced, brewed with delicious hops, and is available at an affordable price. Citra Hops are the best. The balance between the bittering hops and tasty subtle citra flavors make this IPA almost perfect. Against any other mass produced IPA the Torpedo towers over all. This beer gave me faith that a quality brew can be made affordable and readily available.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89.6% out of 100 with 11,012 ratings