Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
4.15/5
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 11,027 |  Reviews: 2,945
4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

from the bottle. Pours well. Nice and spritzy with a lively carbonation and shows a slight haze. Orange-copper color with an eggnog colored head. Head dissipates relatively quickly into a film. Definite fresh citrus aroma from the hops. Lemons prevail, along with grapefruit and maybe a touch of sweet Kiwi fruit.

Body is perfect for an IPA - Not too malty and not thin either. very balanced.

There is an aftertaste that lingers in the throat for awhile. This is pleasant and leaves me wanting more. I'm glad I decided to try this one. It was a perfect pick for the Superbowl party I went to!

Overall, this is a highly drinkable and a very tasty beer overall.

Chance of a Revisit = 100%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A: Copper in color with slight haze. Huge frothy head, 3-4 fingers. Took a long while to dissipate. Lacing was great.

S: Fantastic smell. Huge amounts of citrus. In particular orange and pineapple. Not getting a lot of the pine. Malt is slight but sweet.

T: Just like it smells. Hops up front not much malt going on. Definitely leaning towards the hop side. Bitter? Yes but for a comparison it's not even close to Ruination which I just got done reviewing. I'm tasting a little of the alcohol too.

M: Light feel. Crisp, refreshing.

O: Solid beer. Didn't blow my socks off but I got this as a 6 for a decent price. I would definitely have this or the Pale Ale as a session beer. Where I am they are both readily available. I loved the citrus smell and flavors.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ticking through the "Beers of Fame" list. I used to drink a lot of this stuff, but have not had it recently.

Poured from a can into a DC Brau tulip.

A: Massive head on this gal... about 2-3 fingers at least. The brew was a toast brown-orange color, extremely murky, and kinda dangerous looking.

S: Sorta had the same fresh clean linen scent as the standard Pale Ale which suited me fine. Still, lots of zippy citrus (orange in particular) came through as well.

T: I tasted VERY similar to the Pale Ale on the front end, but teeth-stainingly bitter at the end, which is certainly a hophead's dream. I wouldn't categorize the hop profile as piny though. Yeast with liquified plant stems might be a better descriptor.

M: Like I stated, bitter, but the drinkability is fine if your used to a lot of the hop bombs out on the market. Ridiculous lacing left on the glass.

O: This one is quite good, but I don't like it nearly as much as a lot of peeps on here. Celebration Ale, which is a COMPLETELY different beer is much more satisfying to my mind.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is my go-to beer these days. The local grocery store has twelvers for $14.99 so I can't rationalize buying something else. Extra IPA really defines this beer. Lots of hops, a little bit sticky mouthfeel. Smells awesome, piney, hoppy, you get the idea. Not quite balanced enough to be world class, but really, for hopheads this is a sure bet.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 11,027 ratings