Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
4.15/5
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 11,027 |  Reviews: 2,945
3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

3rd IPA of an IPA tasting evening on 8th Oct 2012: 350ml bottle, best before 23 Jan 2013. Poured slowly into a 'Forbidden Fruit' chalice at home.

Orange hue to the amber body: on top an impressive show of white foaming bubbles, the body has a slight haze, the head as white as the driven snow.

Hop nose (surprise, surprise): struggled to find the citrus notes others have mentioned, even as the beer warmed in its chalice. Pine, nuts and floral hop esters for me with a semi-hint of pink grapefruit as it changed temp.

There is a malty undertone but the hops rule the roost here in all aspects, the taste is supposed to be 'Extra IPA' and that is what the brewery has provided. The after-taste is dry and fairly bitter, had a whole lot hoppier stuff when over in the US though.

My taste buds are subtle and European (OK English): so this is too heavy on the hop front for me. I knew what I was buying and I've enjoyed this brew. I couldn't however see me buying a case of this and passing it around my mates (if I had any).

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A – Has a nice yellow/caramel look to it, off white head, a good amount of carbonation coming up, about a finger of head with really nice retention, and great lacing.

S – A nice hoppy aroma, not exactly blown away by the smell, but it has a bit of pine resin in it as well. Also definitely some very slight fruity aspects like orange/tangerine… as it warms up there is a little bit of a biscuity/malty scent to it as well that is entirely pleasant.

T – Quite nice, tons of hops right off the bat that are bitter on the palate. It is sweet also, and very refreshing with a slight stickiness and pine element that I like in my IPAs. This really is just a hop attack with an obvious diversity and blend of different hops. I actually really like that.

M – The mouthfeel is medium to full. And if I’m being honest it’s really just closer to medium. There is a great carbonation that lasts throughout that provides for a lighter feel than you would think even though this has a slight sticky quality to it. Great mouthfeel.

O – This is a really solid IPA, or rather, “Extra IPA.” It is unique and has a nice refreshing quality to it that I did not see coming. I don’t love this IPA but I do really like it. The taste is just more of a hop exploration than it is flavorful and delicious. But it’s still rather good.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle, poured into glass. Bought at Henrietta Wegman's.

A: Nice golden-bronze color, translucent. Small amount of head that doesn't stick around, no real lacing on the sides.

S: Smells sweet and hoppy, with definite notes of citrus. A clean, clear smell that's almost as bright as the actual taste.

T: Exceptional. Lots of citrus, bold hop character but without any lingering bitterness. Up-front and with serious bite, it could be described as "an experience." This isn't one that you could knock back a few of to relax - this one demands attention. Bright, clear flavors that are downright exciting, even as someone who's not a real fan of IPAs. For something with over 7% ABV, it goes down very smooth in spite of the bold flavor.

M: Crisp and not syrupy. Excellent amount of carbonation. Full taste and body.

O: An incredible IPA and my new standard for the style. It may be a bit too bold for some occasions or tasters, but that's not really a strike against it. Must-try.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

I love this IPA. It is reliably consistent, and the hop aroma and taste are almost unique. the citrus aroma and flavor keep it fresh tasting, and it is so smooth and balanced that I can drink it all night. While it doesn't have unique flavors, it does have a reliable and refreshing flavor that makes it a safe selection for almost any situation. I love it.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

I am normally not open to IPAs but I heard a lot about Sierra Nevada that i had to try it. I started with a strong IPA as this beer to me has a strong malty and hop flavor. My personal favorites are regular ales or dark porters so i just simply am not used to the strong flavor of IPAs. This beer has a very piney/citrus flavor and i think is comes from the hops used in this brew because i know most IPAs have extra hops or malts but i did try another IPA before and it simply did not compare the the flavor of Torpedo. This is just a flavorful beer and the mouth feel and taste lingers for a while but in a good way. Just a reminder, it is a strong beer with 7.2% abv so it creeps up on you but goes down smooth.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 11,027 ratings