Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 10,939 |  Reviews: 2,928
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap at The Good Life, Massapequa NY

A - Amber color, and shiny. Tan foam is a good inch high and stays around. Lacing is a nice sticky ring pattern onthe glass.

S - Sweet smell of fresh fruit, and a fragrant scent of fresh hoppy goodness.

T - Subtle sweet flavor or tropical fruit gives to a blended flavor of fresh oily hops.

M - Medium bodied IPA that is rich in the finish, but still pretty easy to drink.

O - A solid representation from SN. I still like their pale ale the best, but this is a beer you won't regret getting your hands on.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Solid all around IPA. Not my go to IPA. But something I would go back to again. 7.0 percent abv cannot drink more then one or two at a sitting. Hint of sweetness in the mouth. Snffing leads to some spiceness. It is a slow build in the mouth. Kind of boring to start off with. Then bam.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

For National Ipa Day I grabbed a six pack of Mostly Imperials or double Ipas as some would call them. So of course I grabbed the always reliable torpedo. The hop to malt ratio blends together perfectly the moment it hits the back of your mouth the hops scream out and you cant bare but take another swig. All in all I have had better but for the price and taste this one is balanced and always worth picking up a sixer. Strong pine/resin after taste with perfect carbonation. An almost perfect example of the style. And for the price its even better. Happy IPA day enjoy.

2.86/5  rDev -30.4%

Today is national IPA day! Good thing… because I love a good IPA. We only had one in the fridge and it was the Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada. I have had this before, and what I remember is the big calorie count. I can’t recall the hops or the bitterness… but from what I am reading, it is loaded with both. I mean, the “extra” came from somewhere. Let’s celebrate national IPA day with… an IPA!

In the Glass: It looks like an IPA in the glass. It might even be darker than I expected, but still has that golden appeal that a nice IPA brings. It has a decent lace, too and produces a thick, white head.

Nose: Holy hops does that smell good. This beer is just loaded with hops. The tasting notes talked about a lemony overtone… and I am not getting that. The Citra hops is what would produce that, but all I am smelling right now is hops, hops, and more hops! Also, isn’t it cool that there is an IPA day? This beer is being served ice cold, and I can imagine that would help it create a more crisp, bitter flavor.

Flavor: The flavor is boring at first, and then the hops kick in. But they don’t really do much. They don’t kick in the way I expect them to. For this to be an “extra” IPA I was expecting a lot more. Sure, there are hops and there is some subtle bitterness, but man… what a let down. I expected more from such a good brewery. Maybe that’s why it’s so cheap.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is malty at first (boring, really) and then the hops kick in and almost numb the tongue as you swallow. The best part about this beer is the aftertaste. But we will get to that. The burp is nice, though.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is dry, and provides the most bitterness that you experience along the way. When a beer is an “extra” IPA, I immediately think double IPA or imperial IPA. Man, what a let down. Oh, speaking of IPAs… my buddy Mike Bravo ordered one of those last week. The server told him it was an Indiana Pale Ale. Yeah. Servers should know better. I hope he loses his job! Not Bravo, the server!

Well Sierra Nevada, I am upset with this one. You could have and should have done SO much more. I have had basic IPAs that have more hops and more bitterness than this. Try again!!!

Torpedo Extra IPA – The bottle says: “Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA, perfectly balanced yet full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus pine, and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.”

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Copper and almost completely translucent. Off-white head, leaving great lacing.

Aroma: The hop sweetness of tropical fruit. A little pine underneath all that.

Taste: Real nice flavorful bitterness throughout. Just a tiny hint of heat from the alcohol. Pine in there as well. A little pale malt in the background to balance it all out.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Smooth meets bitter. Not a thin beer by any means but also not too full bodied, which makes it very drinkable especially considering the style.

Final Thoughts: Yet another diamond in the rough. IPA's can be a gamble sometimes considering all the different styles (English, East Coast, West Coast, and everything in between) when they aren't specifically labeled. This American IPA will really hit the spot for any hop-head. It is a must-have for any beer enthusiast.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a finger and a half of creamy white head.

Great hoppy nose of grapefruit and pine. Caramel malt in the back ground. Very enticing aroma!

The taste follows the nose but is much more heavy on the pine. Still getting some grapefruit but a very clean tasting pine hoppiness steals the show. Caramel malt adds a touch of balance but this is reppin the west coast pretty well.

Full to medium in body as far as IPA's go. The carbonation is a little on the high side but it is still in the appropriate range. It makes me feel like the hops are stabbing my tongue with each sip so I'm definitely not complaining. Drying hop finish. Very nice!

This is the epitome of the beer that is always on the shelf but I always pass it by. Definitely going to have to start picking up a sixer of this on the reg. Fantastic IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.