Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 2,880 | Ratings: 10,778

Appearance: a tad darker than the average american ipa, with a nice off-white head that stays.

Aroma: a piney, earthy, citrusy aroma that is really quote a unique blend. just a tad of malts in the aroma as well.

taste: Starts with a juicy candy-like sweetness that succumbs to the piney, grassy, herbal hop blend. the bitterness sticks on the tongue for a while.

mouthfeel: medium/high body with middle of the road carbonation. smooth and sticky.

drinkability: this is a unique and excellent offering, with good drinkability. not as high as some others, as the stickiness of the hops coats the mouth. but one or two of these are well worth the try. a good ipa.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Into a 12 oz. Rodenbach Grand Cru tulip, Torpedo swelled above the rim of the glass, and hovered there. It showed off a dimpled surface, creamy with a meringue sheen. Plenty of lacing, practically an unbroken sheet coating the whole glass. The orange color had a nice clarity to it, and little trails could be seen on the sides, just below the surface.

A fresh floral aroma, grassy hop notes. Earthy and herbal, but not overpowering. Firm dry bitterness in the back, pine and floral notes up front, grapefruit rind, plenty of caramel malt in the middle. Soft creamy feel, with lasting residual bitterness. A quenching IPA, it struck me as being nicely balanced with a moderate level of bitterness. Thanks to Chris for leaving this one at my house ;D

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

A heavy ipa by Sierra Nevada? Must try.

A- Nice dark orange color with plenty of off-white head that leaves decent lacing. Very bubbly begining.

S- Mostly floral hops and just a small note of piney evergreen hints.

T- Very smooth hoppy beer that dances on the buds. Has kind of a malty after taste. Very small bitterness at the end. (But i love the hellish bitterness of an ipa)

M-D- A very easy to drink ipa that is enjoyed as a flavor booster if you haven't had a good ipa in a while. Has just a tad of an oily feel on the palate. Good drinkablity.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Bought a sixer of this the other day. Poured into a tulip glass, which turned out to be sort of an unnecessary treatment for this particular beer since I was expecting something, I don't know, bolder.

It looks great. Pale ruby hues and a nice white head that is on the right side of frothy. It smelled nice too. Floral pine hits you right away and hints at citrus as you take it in. Couldn't wait to drink this.

The taste is... okay. I mean, I don't know what I was expecting - but I didn't get much of anything. For one, there wasn't any fruitiness to this. There was good hop balance... no aftertaste. This is a dry IPA. It is, I think, the most bland "Extra/Double/Imperial" IPA I have had to date. This may very well be the taste they were going for and I cannot say that I didn't enjoy it a little bit. But I wanted more flavor. Even the piney bitterness feels toned down. Also, this brew felt pretty carbonated, just a tad too much. It sort of reminded me of drinking tonic water, for this reason.

But I drank 3 of them without any sort of difficulty. Each one was the same as the next. I can say this for the Torpedo: I may not have loved it, but I didn't get sick of it either.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

This pours a very deep ruby color, especially for an IPA. The head is frothy an substantial.
Fresh flower garden smell is strong and hoppy.
This IPA has notes of bitter/hops up front hints of citrus and pine.
This wonder taste stays with me for several seconds after drinking.
Very smooth for it's strength and hop flavor.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

A little too bitter for my tastes in the realm of IPAs, but still above average. Didn't seem very complex at all, just straightforward, bitter style IPA. I don't think I would revisit this one, after being a little disappointed with all the hype surrounding this beer. Leans more to the pine side of hops and I really didn't detect too much sweetness as others have mentioned. I happen to like the more citrus-flavored IPAs, but I won't hold that against this beer. Whatever...a slightly above average beer and review.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Copper golden hue. Foam that sticks around for a bit and trails down the glass very nicely.

S: I Set this beer down for a sec before trying it to hold a brief conversation, caught herbal piney notes from about 3 feet out. Hophead stimuli on the increase.

T: Pine right up front. Hop oils demand the palate's attention as does a bready undertone. Piney hoppiness lingers. Absolutely delicious. I like to savor this one

M: Smooth. Medium. On the carbonated side and it works.

D: I could have 2-3 to start but would like to move into something lighter after that. Not a "session brew," to me anyhow.

A good beer from SN. For an Extra IPA it's decently balanced but it will definitely kick your tongue's ass. Be ready for the pine, and if you're a hophead...be ready for a buzz.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Orange amber with a little bit of haziness. Two fingers of foamy white head which, for the most part, stuck around for the entire glass.

S: Nice floral hop essence with faint notes of orange and yeast.

T: Medium amount of sweet malts followed by a dose of hop bitterness. Long finish develops into some interesting citrusy sweetness on the tongue and cheeks.

M: Light to medium bodied. Decent carbonation.

D: Very easy drinker. A strong IPA with pronounced flavors, but not over the top. Easily sessionable

3.79/5  rDev -7.8%

They supposedly developed a new process for hopping this beer.

First impression is good with a clear, amber orange body topped with about a finger of pale, off white head. Some fair lacing is left behind. Nose was weaker than I was expecting and bit grassier than I prefer. Their new process could benefit from a bit of tweaking in the nose department. Taste is good but nothing different, exceptional or noteworthy, but a good tasting IPA. I'm not sure about the "Extra" or what that implies, but it's not in the nose or taste departments. Body is spot on for and IPA and the carbonation is right there too. Overall this is a good IPA that I could probably drink most of the night.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours a burnt orange color with a nice full frost head- about a finger and a half. Some very very nice lacing- sticky walls on the glass.

S- Pine needles and sap dominate the nose. There's a touch of tropical fruit or melon also. As far as malt there's a hint of roastiness, and some subdued sweetness. Also a good bit of alcohol.

T- Hops forward, that's for sure. The hops are piney, pithy, and bitter- really bitter.

M- Creamy, and also some astringency- almost like an ashy feel to it. Good though. The creaminess is really good.

D- Definitely going to get some more of this. Though I don't care for the bitterness so much the hops flavor is delicious, especially as I'm missing the hop bombs of the coast.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Nice orange/copper color with a thin creamy foam that leaves nice lacing.

S- Hop and pine nose with some orange peel, grapefruit, caramel and floral scents.

T- Starts strong with bitter hops but evens out with a nice malt backbone for balance. Lots of piney hop flavor that lingers (in a good way).

M- Nice medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Highly drinkable and a nice IPA from SN.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Gold-amber, some particles, good head.

Smell: Nice hoppy mix, citrus, pine, some floral qualities.

Taste: Moderately bitter citrus that lasts and lasts. A little bit of sweetness gives some balance.

Drinkability: Somewhat hard to find, a little strong for more than a couple.

Finally got to try the SN Torpedo. I have a feeling this might be a little better on tap, but still was a quality IPA. I thought it might be a little more bitter than it was, but still pretty good.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Beautiful orange pour, clear, nice almost white head, reduces to disk then ring. Spotty, sudsy lacing.

S - Smell has some malt but it is mostly about the hops. Dank, yet hoppy stuff.

T - Nice sweet up front malt squashed sufficiently by the hops to balance the whole thing.

M - Medium body, good carb, coating and balance.

D - Oh, yeah, I would take another.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz Express mart Plattsburgh, Ny

A:Nice semi dark IPA

S: kinda sweet, pine, with a hint of citric

T: balanced with a nice bitter kick

M: Full, slightly thick

D: Average

Overall: very impressed and at 6.99 per 6 pack a bargain

A-orange/amber...decent clarity

S-Very perfumey....Also Sweet floral and fruity notes...caramel malt also evident

T-At first I thought this as jagged and abrasive with the hops...but I am now adjusting my scores and comments after purchasing a full sixer....I'd describe the hops as more floral/perfumy and almost English IPAish in nature....very tasty in its own way...

M-Medium bodied..

D-I just basically re-wrote this review...sometimes it takes more than one to make an impression...this is a top notch solid IPA with a different twist to the hop flavor and aroma than most...plenty of bitterness on the finish but not unbalanced at all....very nice beer....

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a rusty amber color with extra fine floating particles in the liquid. A very light beige 1/2" loose head with nice visible carbonation. Nice smattered sheets of lace all the way down.

I got a clean whiff of this baby from 2 feet away once the cap was popped. Upon being poured into my large mouthed stemmed chalice, the aroma of cascade hops was unavoidable. Grapefruit and pine, the angelic elements of a whole-cone highly hopped beer. A teasing amount of succulent sweet malt rides the edges while the hops caress and flirt for what is soon to come...

...Ahh. The hop bonanza that was just smelled translates two-fold into the realm of taste. A fantastic rendition of extra dry and juicy hops simultaneously greets the pallet with grace and poise. The hop flavors are compressed and do not blow-up your mouth. A restrained ushering of finely crafted bitter, fruity and tangy hops fill the mouth and do not dissipate until after a long while. The malt profile seems to be a bit elevated from what I perceived in the smell, but in a way that doesn't take away for the hops whatsoever.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an unbelievable extra-extra fine carbonation that just blows me away. Dry and flavorful (long) finish. No chalky leftovers from the hops too.

Drinkability is spectacular. I will be buying more of this in the fall when it comes out again!

I was utterly surprised by this beer. It almost reminds me of Ruination, but with more poise and polish. It's a perfect marriage of an English IPA and a high-octane West coast IPA. My hat is off to Sierra Nevada once again!

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A :: Nice golden brown with a rocky off-white head.
S :: Hoppy, floral and citrus. Noticeable malts (not overdone) and a little spice that I can't place. Definitely hits you with hops but not too much.
T :: First I got the biscuit malty sweetness that closed out with a nice hop bitterness and a hint of citrus (mostly grapefruit).
M :: Clean, crisp, moderate carbonation. I didn't have that hop oil slickness left in my mouth.
D :: This is one I could enjoy outside on a nice warm day though after a few the ABV, while disquised, might smack you for it.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a Harpoon Winter Warmer snifter

A: Orange amber color, one finger of foam after a moderate pour

S: Piney, grapefruit, strong hop nose

T: Delicious piney hop flavor, balanced by a malt backbone, truly wonderful.

M: Smooth, slightly fizzy

D: I love this beer. Strong hop bitterness is refreshing to my palate.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a standard pint.

A: Deep amber color. Low carbonation pours into to finger and a half, frothy, off-white head. Settles slowly, foam clings to the sides of the glass as it does. Eventually dissipates to the point of leaving a nice blanket layer of carbonation on the surface of your brew. Thick, sticky, substantial lacing stays behind, and becomes a permanent beer artifact.

S: Sweet syrupy malt, strong hoppy goodness, honey and a bit of pine.

T: Well, hops are the story here. Mean, angry hops and pine nuts. A bit of lemon citrus sneaks in as well.

M: Sharp but light bodied. Hops assault the palette, and linger throughout the quaff. Dry finish.

D: This is a sipper. Solid flavor, but hops are the order of the day.

Very good atmosphere. Appearance is impressive, and although basic, the nose is full. Same with the flavor. Not much to say, simple but fulfills it's purpose. Feel is harsh and dry, but what do you expect from a 7.2% alcohol IPA. Does have good drinkability for a beer of this type. Definitely a sipping beer. Good quaff.

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%

Opened the bottle and the smell of hops hit me. Always a great sign of a great IPA. Taste like what a good IPA would on steroids. Torpedo would best describe how the smell and taste come at you. Poured to a golden color that was clear to see through. Goes down very easy. Glad it was on sale at Wegmans as I picked up 3 six packs of it.

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a clear, medium range, copper color. Three-finger head head of fluffy off-white foam. Retention is very good. Lacing is spotty, but very sticky.

Big nose of citrus fruits. Large grapefruit presence. Very light touch of caramel malts. Slight grass notes.

Citrus hops explosion. Not nearly the amount of hops bitterness that was expected. There is some bitterness here, it just more mellow than anticipated. Notes of yellow grapefruit. Slight presence of malty sweetness, but it's way down deep.

Good medium body. It's smooth and a slight touch to the creamy side. I was expecting it to be more crisp and sharp. The carbonation is very well blended, in this one. You almost don't notice it.

This is a very solidly drinkable brew. It's too hoppy for me, personally, but I see why people like it. If nothing else were available, I could down a couple of these, without complaint.

On the pour, this beer had a one finger, foamy head atop a clear, deep yellow body. The head lasted a while, and left a good amount of lacing.

Aroma was of citrus hops, a little grassy, with hints of cinnamon (which surprised me). Nice pale malts were in the background, and played a supporting role, but the hops were the star.

Taste was initially quite bitter, with more pine than citrus flavors. Hop resins came out next, and it became slightly astringent. This beer was not sweet, and the malts were masked by the hops. Being a hophead, I did not mind.

Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy, but with a little bit of a pucker.

Good marks for drinkability. Although it was not quite what I expected, I liked it quite a bit. I don't think it would make a good session beer, with the higher ABV, but I would be able to have two or three at a party and have a wonderful time.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Picked up a couple bottles at Sango Liquors in Clarksville, TN on my way home from work (kinda out of my way, but it was a nice day for a drive) and put in my mini fridge for three hours so it's chilled just enough. Poured into a Pint Glass. A nice three inch head forms on top of the beer. Awesome looking brew. I love IPAs but I find this one a bit different in the taste. I guess this is what's called a West Coast IPA. I've had IPAs from Bells (Two-Hearted) and Short's (Huma Lupa Licious) and would prefer them to this one. I can't put my finger on the taste, but it is different but in a good way. Maybe a bit over hyped, but it's still a very good beer. I might chill the other one a bit longer before enjoying it. I am glad I tried this IPA but I don't think it will be my go-to IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a light brownish amber with a slight tannish head. It's got a solid smell of floral hops. It's got a solid medium-high body. It's hoppy-bitter-hoppy-great. Super citrussy hop flavor but not over assaultingly so. It leaves a delightful flavor behind. This one is quite a drinkable IPA. Sierra Nevada rarely disappoints, and this is no different.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A very fine beer from a very fine brewery. This bottle poured beautifully - dark amber color with a near-perfect thick, sticky head. Fresh, hoppy smell to accompany a similar taste. This beer definitely has a little extra kick compared to your average American IPA, but in a world of increasingly hoppy, increasingly alcoholic beers of this style, Sierra Nevada does a nice job of finding some balance in this quality brew. I was even more impressed since my six-pack cost the same as the "regular" SN IPA. I'm looking forward to enjoying the other five...

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.