Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 2,907 | Ratings: 10,867
3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

A= Nice deep amber color. Very clear. Huge 3 finger white head produced. Decent lacing throughout. Poured this about 50 degrees.

S = Mostly citrus and floral hops.

T = Initial syrupy sweet but quickly the citrus hop bitterness dominates throughout and lingers in the aftertaste. Quite bitter overall.

M = Has a good thick, sticky, oily mouthfeel. I like thick and robust mouthfeel in a beer, so this is my style.

D = The bitterness keeps this down somewhat. But overall not bad.

one finger white head with substantial lacing over amber/orange body. Floral hop aroma balanced by a bit of biscuit malt. Grapefruit citrus predominates the taste, not a very piny hop flavor, this 'new' hop varietal hits you more on the back end where you can taste the whole cones. Pretty dry mouthfeel, with a bit of alcohol presence.I can see what the fuss is all about. A pretty unique offering in a widely populated category. Recommended.

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%

Fantastic. Grapefruit zest and pine resin aroma. It makes me nostalgic for my favorite gin. Thin head and lacing. Orange-whiskey colored. Most IPA's can only claim balance, but this lives up to the promise printed on the bottle. Dry, sour grape mouthfeel compliments the flavor. The flavor has less focus on floral aspects of the hops, but instead is sweet and piney. This is an IPA drinkers IPA. I could drink it all night and not get overwhelmed.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

12oz into Duvel tulip.

A- cloudy, bright orange, with a white head.

S- grapefruit and guava aromas from the hops. Fairly sweet, but no distinct malt aromas.

T- sweet guava followed quickly by very bitter, dry grapefruit. Swallow is more distinctly grapefruity and less bitter, while the aftertaste is the opposite.

M- juicy to dry in the mouth, juicy to dry after the swallow.

D- decent, I suppose. This isn't my favorite category, so I don't enjoy this as much as I'm sure some people do, but I will finish off my half of the 6 pack. Not my favorite hoppy beer that I've had, but not my least favorite, either. I see how this is well done, but it isn't really for me.

EDIT: today I made some nachos out of leftover chicken fajita stuff, along with green salsa, and shredded some cheddar over the top. The Torpedo was a phenomenal accompany to the nachos, each took the other to the next level. Infact, the Torpedo was a much better company to the nachos than the Hop Devil at the restaurant was to the original fajitas.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice dark amber color with a solid 2 fingers of off white foam.

Big hop aroma of grapefruit.

Nice balance of great hop balance for a big IPA, nice hop flavor and finishes with a great bitterness. A little alcohol comes through in the middle.

Dry all the way through.

Very easy to drink with all the parts that I want in an IPA.

3.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark golden amber, on the copper side with generous foam and lots of lacing.

Smell is strong - the hops jump out and smack you in the face. Earthy, piney with a malt back.

Taste is all hop - from dawn to dusk. They're powerful and dominate the taste. The residual bittering can be a bit much, but not enough to dampen the enthusiasm. The grassy pine comes through, almost bordering on being minty.

Flavorful enough to drink several, though the full on hop assault takes some getting used to. A quality brew, nevertheless.

3.54/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Translucent amber with a finger of off white head. Very nice lacing.

S: The hops are the main thing to come through here.

T: Bitter. Some background sweetness and hop flavor, but the bitterness wins out, and stays around for the aftertaste. The background flavors are nice, but I find I can't really appreciate them because the bitterness is overbearing.

M: The carbonation is really nice, mouthfeel is good overall.

D: The bitterness limits this for me.

I'm a fan of IPAs and DIPAs (Pliny, Ruination), but I'm not a fan of the bitterness of this beer. It just seems like bitterness for the sake of being bitter, instead of as the result of complex hop flavors.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Poured a bit warmish, received a good finger of milk-froth-like head. It might be the glass, but this is looking DAMN good. Deeper orange color with hints of honey.

S: Seemed fairly straightforward to me - those whole-cone Magnum hops.

T: Reminds me of Surly Furious in a way. Strong on the grapefruity hops, but a very nice peppery alcohol as well which reminds me, oddly enough, of a good Polish vodka. While complex and tasty on the hop front, the malt character is a bit subdued, only a twinge can be felt between bursts of hoptitude.

M: Mouthfeel certainly feels fuller than Furious, the finish is far more satisfying.

D: Whew, it's nice to see this being added to SN's full-availability schedule. I'll certainly be picking it up in the future. Could be a bit intense for daily drinking, however, which makes it a much more welcome permanent addition to the rotation! Man, even my burps are tasty.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a stubby 12-ounce bottle into a Willibrew pint glass.

A: Pours a light, golden copper color with a big, fluffy two-finger head of off-white foam which holds like whipped cream. A chilled haze and light sediment are seen among the steady carbonation bubbles. Great clarity and fine lacing.

S: Smells like a light, spicy caramel wort with fresh, green hop leaves added to it. A light floral, grassy pine smell is very clean and clear.

T: A very nice, fresh hop oil flavor and bitterness attacks the palate at first. A very clean, toasted biscuit flavor rolls about mid-palate. A little spicy citrus fruitiness is detected before washing away ultra-clean with a satisfying herbal hop bitterness. Slight alcohol flavor, but otherwise nicely balanced with moderate hopping.

M: Mouthfeel is a little sticky and bitter, but there is an overall creaminess and smoothness to this brew that makes it very easy to drink.

D: A nice spiciness and definitive hop profile make this a very tasty, clean and fairly well-balanced IPA. The 7.2% ABV is appropriate in the taste, though the flavor is undisturbed. I could probably have a few of these before I found myself not-so-mysteriously intoxicated.

Another successful IPA from the hitmakers at Sierra Nevada. I'd like to see more of a sweet malty flavor to balance some of the hops, but that's not what Torpedo is about, I don't think. Enjoy the constant hop flavor and aroma of a Torpedo today!

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Beer is fairly clear, woody amber in color. The orange-white head yields very nice sheety lace once it fades. Smell contains grapefruit, orange, leaves, wood, melon, musky floral scents, and lightly caramelized toasty grain. Taste is prickly with brisk bitter hops + fine carbonation. Flavors of buttered bread, caramel, pine, grapefruit, and lemon rind. Texture is resiny, slick, and fluid. Quite easy to drink even with the hoppy bitter punch.

I would like more juicy mouth-watering aroma + flavor hops, but that aside, this is a solid IPA.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.29. No obvious freshness date, though there's an odd sequence of numbers and characters above the upc label. The label seems almost generic, with virtually the same colors as their regular IPA that was released a couple of years ago. Why not have a destroyer circa 1942 launching a bottle-shaped torpedo at a Japanese battlewagon? Or perhaps Admiral Farragut or Tom Petty paraphrasing themselves by shoouting "Drink the torpedoes,"? Instead there's a picture of a hop field. That's okay, the beer does indeed have hops in it, but it could conceivably work on virtually EVERY beer that's being brewed. Just looking for something to set this one apart visually. Tried this on-tap in the past, but never before from the bottle.

Poured a slightly hazy, burnt orange kind of color. Big, off-white, creamy-looking head. Lots of lace.

Right off the bat there's a big, piney and citrusy hop presence in the nose. As it warms up a caramel maltiness becomes evident as well, though it's well dominated by the hops.

Tastes similar to the smell, though the hops seem to increase in complexity, giving off an herbal flavor in addition to the citrus and pine tastes already encountered through the nose. Malts are present to provide balance and lend a subtle sweetness to the proceedings, but they are emphatically not the stars of this show. Ends with a crisp zap to the palate.

Sticky mouthfeel that's oily with hop resin. Medium bodied.

Very drinkable on what feels like the first true day of spring, with sunny skies and the temperature above 70 degrees. This was an excellent post-work, pre-cooking dinner beer. Not a session beer, but I'd be happy to quaff this one again.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Grabbed a sixer at State Line the other day. Figured it's time to review it, as it's my last bottle.

A: In my Russian River tulip, Torpedo sits in all it's amber glory, proudly displaying a chapeau, off-white in color with tremendous lacing. Excellent.

S: Plenty of juicy pine and bitter orange peel right off the bat. Mild malt sweetness behind it all. Juicy orange hides in the back. Solid stuff

T: Opens up rather massively bitter, with a complex pine and citrus assault, with the pine surprisingly intense! Grapefruit and orange zest are prominent as well. The malt is over-ridden by the hops, just the way I like it. There's still some mild caramel and fruit sweetness, though. Finishes dry and resiny

M: What a mouthfeel! Intensely resiny in hop character with an excellent bitterness and carbonation, this beer's a winner.

D: I would drink a lot more of this, at the price, it'll be a staple in my rotation.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours of the bottle as a deep, clear amber with a thick off-white head that sticks to the side of the glass as stays on as a big cap as the carbonation streams up from the bottom.

The aroma is mainly light citrus with lemons and oranges but with plenty of grassy whiffs as well.

The taste follows the aroma but probably has a bit deeper citrus bitterness than the aroma with more grapefruit than anything else. There is plenty of malt to balance things out.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit dry with lots of bitterness in the finish. As mentioned before, lots of carbonation and the bubbles are active throughout.

This is a really nice balanced IPA that's certainly not a hop bomb but brings it's share of citrus bitterness to the table with lots of malts as well. Overall, very tasty.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass produced a finder worth of white head that stuck around. The body of the brew was a clear amber color with tons of little bubble rising from the bottom of the glass.

Aromas of fresh hops are dominate on this one and quite pleasant the flavor is hop forward as well but with some malt sweetness to keep the bitters in check.
The brew is crisp and light in my mouth with ample carbonation.

This is a solid IPA nothing outstanding but a good one I tend to like my local ones a tad better due to the freshness factor. I still would not turn this down if it was on sale, or handed to me

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving from the bottle at fridge temps, into a standard pint glass.

On the pour you get a nice dark orange colored brew, almost the color of pumpkin; maybe a bit darker. The head is about a finger (probably bigger at lower temps), and is creamy in nature, and off white in color, perhaps tawny. Good lacing shows all around the glass. Pretty!

Nose is hoppy, but not 'in your face' hoppy. You can definitely tell you've got an IPA in your glass, with little of malt coming through.

The taste is solidly IPA. Hops are lightly citrus, with a hint of grapefruit, some pine and floral notes as well. It's not quite as "hop forward" as Celebration Ale (another SN fave), but it is very solid. Mouthfeel is medium and well rounded. Carbonation is spot-on for the style and very refreshing. Of course, that makes this nicely drinkable, but at 7.2%, you probably wouldn't want to be pounding these down one after another. Still, very enjoyable and drinkable.

As an unabashed 'hop head', I can always appreciate a good IPA. Sierra Nevada has a very good year round offering with Torpedo. Get you a six, and "fire away"!

Na Zdravje!

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a dark orange-brown with a frothy head that quickly dissipates, but leaves amazing sticky lacing all over the glass.

Smells of the usual for an IPA - pine, plenty of hops, citrus zest, some grass, but this one goes to the next level by providing a fantastic backdrop of caramel malts.

Extremely refreshing taste - hoppy, but not bitter, like I remember SN beers being. Lemony, great malts, faint traces of honey, and some banana. Very delicious.

Mouthfeel is very mild. No carbonation attack or bitterness battle. Exceptionally smooth. mmmm.

I have five more of these to go, and I'm sure there will only be a few left before I'm satisfied. Well done. I will no longer avoid SN as I did in my youth. All those wasted years.

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%

Reviewed 4/14/2009 (Bottle):

Pours an amber brownish colored body, fizzy and clear. Huge head, thick and creamy looking, foamy. Very lasting too. Sweet bitter hop aroma. Some pine but not off-putting. Softish mouthfeel. Good piney dry taste. Some grapefruit. Makes me want another, drying. Somewhat sweet, bitter aftertaste. Very tasty. Very balanced taste, just enough hoppiness.

Nice, thick head. White in color, very pillowy. The head takes minutes to fall, clinging strongly against the side of the glass. The body is a dark amber color, fairly translucent, with bubbles racing toward the surface.

There is a very faint but rich floral scent to this with hints of something sweeter to come. Up front, the flavor is that of floral hops. The taste shifts into a rich, malty flavor with some peppery bite to it; then back into hops to wipe the palette for the next sip.

It's not really all that thick. Seemed thick to me at first, but I don't really know why. This beer actually feels fairly thin and carbonated. Maybe my brain was making me expect something different, but this is nice. It's a great outdoor beer. I wish I were at a bonfire right now, rather than at my computer... This beer screams for summer nights. The high alcohol content really makes this a hard one to classify. As great as the flavor is for massive drinking, I'd steer clear of having multiples in a session.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a standard pale ale copper, has a frothy head with good retention

S - Piney hops with a touch of citrus

T - The piney hops definitely make this a bitter beer. However, I personally enjoyed the spicy hops in Torpedo much more than other IPAs that ooze citrus. It seems to be countered with malts fairly well, leaving it maybe just a touch unbalanced. Extremely tasty IPA!

M - moderate carbonation, smoother and more pleasant to drink than many IPAs

D - A hoppy IPA that's still extremely drinkable? You bet.

The best beer I've ever had from Sierra Nevada. It definitely gives my previous favorite IPA, Smuttynose, a run for its money due to better drinkability.

4.48/5  rDev +9%

I recieved a six pack of Torpedo from Pudge43 in a trade - thank you much my friend!

I have enjoyed Sierra Nevada beers for years now and I was so excited to hear about a new IPA. Due to our current beer laws I wasn't able to get ahold of a six pack through the normal channels so I traded for it.

Poured into a Duvel tulip this IPA has a russet amber color with amazing clarity, a white head, and a fine lacing throughout the session. Amazing look!

The aroma is of fresh malt, juicy hop oils, orange rind, pineapple, and pears. The aroma is light in the nose compared to some IPA's.

The taste is explosive. Up front is a huge malt backbone with an amazing bouquet of floral hop resins. A huge burst of apple, pine, pepper, tannins, wheat-like flavors, and a tart medicinal sharpness capture my Torpedo experience - amazing flavor!

The mouthfeel is not unlike many great IPA's. This has a definate west coast lightness in the mouth - nothing surupy going on here. The massive malt backbone makes this a well balanced beer.

This might be the most drinkable IPA ever created - with PTE being the only exception I've encountered. I would love to do a side-by-side comparison of the two. I think Torpedo would match up nicely.

This is now my favorite Sierra Nevada brew - I think they're doing great things there in Chico and I always look forward to trying more of their great beers. Great Job the Torpedo Extra IPA!

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours to a beautiful clear amber/orange color. Nice lacing

S - Has a wonderful pine aroma with some floral overtones.

T- Nicely hopped. Some bitterness but not too bitter. This is exactly what you would expect from an nicely brewed IPA. Hop lovers should like this one.

M- Lively fizziness and tingly on the tongue. Lasting flavor.

D- Definitely a beer to try again and again. Another good one from Sierra Nevada. Can't tell it has a high ABV as the alcohol is nicely masked with it's wonderful bold hoppy flavor.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle

A: Clear copper body under a small white head. Nice lace and retention.

S: Citrus fruit, no one particular variety standing out, very thick smelling, sweet, some caramel maltiness in the background. Very balanced.

T: Nice malt backbone up first, with tangy hops popping up right after. Finish is pretty dang bitter with a bold hit of piney hops.

M/D: A bit too prickly on the tongue, medium bodied, hop oils play a major part in the mouthfeel. Good drinkability. A big IPA, but very balanced and refreshing.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Plenty of creamy white head adorns this one, excellent lacing also. A dark amber color with exceptional clarity. Smells are of piney hops, a bit floral along with a hint of sweetness. Taste is similar to the smell, plenty of hops that dominate, not overly bitter though, the sweetness also keeps coming back, honey possibly? Alcohol is well hidden also. Very smooth and very drinkable, a great beer paired with the hockey game I was watching at the time.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours clear copper with a medium persistent head. Aroma is very nice hops- citrusy- grapefruit, and piney. Taste is dominated by delicious hops. Citrus, pine- resinous. A nice strong pleasant bitterness. A nice amount of malt sweetness to provide just a bit of balance. Full bodied. Easily drinkable and overall a very good IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow, every ski resort in North America needs to offer Torpedo from about late March to the end of the season. Nothing would beat sitting on the deck after a "hard" day of riding and having one of these well-balanced, gorgeous and delicious beers in your hand. The alcohol (7% +) is just enough to relax the muscles and erase any self-consciousness about your wack hair and that frozen booger on your upper lip.

Aroma:
Huge citrus notes, a more subdued pine aroma, hints of lemon? That first whiff really is amazing with all the complex citrus notes dancing around.

Appearance:
Large off-white creamy head. Good lacing but not great. Beautiful orange color with red notes. Slight haze.

Taste:
The bottle claims the perfect balance between malt and hops. Maybe. If not, it's close. Delicious maltiness collides with a strong hop presence in seamless harmony. Hops don't overwhelm and the bitterness at the end definitely knows when it has overstayed its welcome. The alcohol is hidden really well.

Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied, carbonation is mild to medium and doesn't get in the way of the flavors. You almost forget it is carbonated in fact...maybe they should have put "perfectly carbonated" on the bottle.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.