Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
4.15/5
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

Added by GClarkage on 05-12-2006

Ratings: 11,029 |  Reviews: 2,946
1.77/5  rDev -57.3%

Honestly, I enjoy IPAs every once in a while, but this one was just way too strong for me. Average white head, smelled strongly of hops, just like the taste.

I can see how those who love IPAs will enjoy this, but for the occasional IPA drinker like me, its a bit overpowering and dry with a very, very strong hop flavor, with an aftertaste that just doesn't go away.

It definitely deserves the "extra IPA" label that appears on the bottom. Gave me a headache after drinking. Will not buy again.

1.81/5  rDev -56.4%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass...
A: cloudy/hazy amber, a finger of head that lasted a couple of drinks, some lacing.
S: citrus, pine forest
T: Wow. Overwhelming bitterness. Just way too much. It's like they're in some sort of arms race on how much hops they can stuff into a beer. And, they've failed. All I can really taste is bitter and it's unpleasant.
M/D: Why bother? Mostly undrinkable.

This was my 2nd bottle out of the 6-pack; I was drinking a 2nd beer to see if it was as bad as my 1st and it was. I have dumped the rest down the sink.

1.88/5  rDev -54.7%

Appearance: This beer pours a pale golden orange with a slightly off white one finger head. It is crystal clear and the head dissipates to a thick and sticky lacing.

Smell: The aroma on this beer is mild for an "Extra" IPA. There are hints of fresh flower stems but also this funny musty wet leaf component. The citrus character is mild with only the slightest hint of spicy orange zest. There is a definite yeasty bread component to round out the aromas.

Taste: The flavors on this beer are shocking. The flavor is dominated by a hot alcoholic apple / warm white wine flavor. This is followed by a stingy hop bitterness but and a lemon rind bitterness like no other (not in a good way either).

Mouthfeel: This beer is too highly carbed and has a weak and thin light body.

Drinkability: No thanks. One is enough and I wouldn't buy this beer again.

Overall Impression: I hope, hope, that this was a poor six pack of beer. I respect Sierra Pale, but this beer is absolutely horrible. The aroma is tolerable, but the flavor is biting and harsh making it unpleasant to drink. I'm not one to pour out a beer, but this one might just be destined for the kitchen sink. It's getting slightly better as it warms, but still nowhere near the quality of beer I could have gotten for nine bucks a six pack. Very disappointed to say the least.

Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

A - Nice and clear amber coloring.

S - Pleasant traditional flowery aroma.

T - Very hoppy. Good taste, but very strong.

M - The feel is smooth. The aftertaste is extremely bitter. Almost soapy. Not a fan.

Summary - I've been trying to expand my beer experiences. One area in particular I've been wanting to explore is IPAs. So far, I've enjoyed Dogfish Head, but not Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. It's simply way too strong with hops and an awfully bitter aftertaste.

2.01/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I fall into the minority of, "Why all the glowing reviews, folks???" for this particular brew. I've been right up there in agreement with the previous BA reviews I've based beer purchases on until this one. This one puzzles me greatly, as it is my first "double-u tee eff" experience with this site. IPA's are my go-to. From regular to hop-tacular, to double, triple, 90, 120-minute, evil, sinister, unforgiven IPA's. Bring on the attacky, hoppy, citrusy aromas. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, SN Torpedo Extra IPA has none of that. I struggle to understand how the term IPA is even associated with this beer. I wanted to love this beer... especially since SN's Pale Ale is so above-average as a mass-produced beer.

The look of this beer is fine. A promising, rich, dark amber, with a respectable head. But anything beyond what my eyes can observe turns negative.

My first reaction to the smell was, "Really?" It immediately brought me back to the overpowering, sickly, yeasty smell of going past the Sleeman brewery as a child. It smells skunky, like a Labatt 50 that's been soaking in the sun too long. Definitely lager-esque. But surely, this is a well-respected IPA, so it must not taste like that.

It tastes like that. Maybe the only positive thing I can say is that it tastes like beer, but not any beer I've tasted. Did I get a bad batch? Maybe it sat for a couple weeks in a hot truck during transit?

The nose has a fun bite and attacks my taste buds alright. However, it is not nearly worth the 5 milliseconds of fun my mouth enjoys until my brain deciphers the flavor and has to endure it for another 10 seconds. Overly yeasty. I keep looking for those bright, piney hops and subtle grapefruit. Nowhere to be found. I hate wasting craft beer, so I finished it. Even gave it another shot today before writing the review.

After drinking my first SN Torpedo, I immediately emailed a fellow IPAer to warn him to steer clear. Unfortunately he'd already experienced this beer, but didn't have the decency to warn me. Oh well -- maybe I can save others the trouble. I know how harsh it sounds, but this is easily the most disappointing beer I've ever bought. Sierra Nevada, I know you can do better.

2.04/5  rDev -50.8%

2.04/5  rDev -50.8%

2.09/5  rDev -49.6%

2.2/5  rDev -47%

2.23/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

REALLY soapy mouthfeel. too much pine flavor. not a fan.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 11,029 ratings