Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sierra Nevada Summerfest | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada SummerfestSierra Nevada Summerfest
3.67/5
Good
Sierra Nevada SummerfestSierra Nevada Summerfest

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Availability: Summer

There's something about a warm summer day that calls out for a cold glass of great beer, and this classic Czech-style lager is sure to fit the bill. Crisp, golden and refreshing, Summerfest is the perfect choice for soaking up the sunshine. Summerfest is a Czech-style lager featuring a slight malt sweetness, a spicy hop flavor, and the crisp finish you want on a hot summer day.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

Ratings: 4,247 |  Reviews: 1,611

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass. A halfway aggressive pour produces one-quarter inch of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly but coats the top of the beer. The bubbling stays lively for awhile. The color is a moderately pale golden.

The beer has that lovely aroma and taste that I associate with a good `Pilsener, and is crisp and fairly clean on the palate. The bubbles help with lots of pungent burps, which waft through the nose. The hops are of just the right intensity for a beer of this style- a pleasant surprise since some of the beers from this brewery are just a tad too hoppy for my taste (but still quite good nonetheless).

I give this beer a good grade because I think they capture the style well, without going totally overboard with the hops.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer is a clear gold with about a finger's worth of head. The head holds for a while, then dissipates into a thin covering which leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. I am impressed.

S - The thing that I don't dig so much about lagers, and pilsners in particular, is that malty funkiness that I associate with European style beers. However, there is something about the blend here that is encouraging.

T - I still taste that funkiness that I'm not a huge fan of, but I also taste a sweeter malty note that really causes me to reflect. The finish is very clean and leaves me wanting more, not because I'm trying to cover up an unpleasant finish, but because I like the way the taste develops.

M - I like the bubbles. Very smooth and clean tasting.

O - I happened to have this beer on a relatively cool night while grilling up some BBQ chicken, but I've also had it playing lawn games on a hot afternoon. I find it to be a refreshing break from my IPAs and always look forward to this one, despite my hangups on the style.

3.49/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in an Imperial pint glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Light golden in color; perfect lager color. Lots of CO2 bubbles, but very little head and no lacing to speak of. Just looks like your typical lager.

-Smell 3.25: Nice bouquet. Typical notes of adjuncts (although I think that in lagers, these smells may be linked to the lagering process) and grains. However, the level of this bouquet is deeper than your average macro brew.

-Taste 3.75: Front is light and somewhat dry. Middle is smooth with slight alkaline hoppiness. Finish is where big waves of barley and deeper hop smoothness come in. Aftertaste is of medium length and is somewhat dry, but very refreshing.

-Mouthfeel 3.25: Hits the nail on the head for the style and gets extra points for the dry and smooth finish.

-Overall 3.50: One of the better lagers I have had in a long time. I like lagers but am certainly not enamored with the style. However, this beer is thirst-quenching and a delicious representation of what a lager can be.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Looks a pale gold with fine bristling carbonation suds supported by little bubble streams. Laces not so much. The head hangs a bit, then slowly leaves behind a thin cap.

Pale malts that are a touch on the sweet side. Pretty mild. Light spiciness, almost in a mustard-y. The aromatic hops are a little citrusy and a little grassy. Very light in the nose.

Nice affirmed bitterness that doesn't linger. Washes clean with good and clean pale malt grains. On the bright side. Maybe a tinge of toast. More citrus and grassy flavors from a happy hop. Overall, a clean and simply flavorful summer lager.

Smooth and a little spritzy. Carbonation is fine and right around medium. Simple and clean. Clean is the word. Clean and summery.

This is a go-to for the warmer months. A beer interesting enough to enjoy, yet simple enough to have more than one in a session.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.67 out of 5 with 4,247 ratings