Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

good
Sierra Nevada Summerfest LagerSierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Availability: Summer

There's something about a warm summer day that calls out for a cold glass of great beer, and this classic Czech-style lager is sure to fit the bill. Crisp, golden and refreshing, Summerfest is the perfect choice for soaking up the sunshine. Summerfest is a Czech-style lager featuring a slight malt sweetness, a spicy hop flavor, and the crisp finish you want on a hot summer day.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-17-2001

Ratings: 4,158 |  Reviews: 1,588
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

much like a Carlton draft but smoother

Shared a taster on-tap as part of four flights at the brewery; Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, Chico, USA. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. I rate to taste, not to style. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

2.51/5  rDev -31.8%

I love Sierra nevada Beers but this one kind of disappoint me. A nice crisp clear lager. Nice session beer. Barely any head. Perfect on a hot summer day. I believe this beer would grow on me but I remember having this beer last year and loving it. I am thinking they change it every year. Is this true?

2.52/5  rDev -31.5%

12oz short bottle into standard pint. fridge temp.

A: pale apple juice colored VERY clear. Tiny thin white bubbles made a "head" that disappeared right away. The it was like watching lemon lime soda fizz up in a glass. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming to the top and disappearing into nothingness. No ring to speak of.

S: Bit of pale malt on the nose and faint hops. Smells a little astringent (but that seems to be common among cezch pils). Smells a little sweet. Pretty lackluster here too.

T: The malt backbone of this one is pretty noticeable, surprising since it the smell of it was only enough to say "this is beer, it is made with malted barley" which is something even poor quality macro's can say to an extent. After the bit of dank malt flavor passes it becomes a tad metallic before the hops really shines. No real bitterness but an alright hop presence. I expect some hops from something calling itself a pilsner. A little floral, like dandelions. The end of the drink is so far the best part but not redeeming.

M: As it should be; thin, light, and crisp. The carbonation is soda like, you can feel it give a little bite on the tongue. Refreshing to drink.

O: Not impressed with this, it is refreshing though. It delivers on the promise printed on the label "crisp summer lager." Good thing the label doesn't say "outstanding pilsner flavor, like you have never seen before!" because then it would be lying. It tastes fine but isn't anything special. Easily sessionable and if I went to a friends house and they offered me one I wouldn't turn it down.

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

There's very few lager beers that I like. While this isn't the worst by far, I wasn't all that impressed.

Pale gold body with a 1 finger white head. Smells like corn mostly. Not very pleasant. Corn, hops and grassiness is all I taste. But overall, the flavor is better than most standard lagers. Highly carbonated to the point where it interfered with my enjoyment. I don't like belching a lot. Slightly below average drinkability for me, again cuz I'm not a big fan of the style. But I can see other's digging this one, especially at a summer bbq with some chicken wings...mmm.

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear golden-yellow color, with a thin bubbly head. The smell is rather non-distinct like most pilsners, but there is hints of pale malts and a slight hoppiness to it. The taste is rather bitter, only a slight graininess otherwise, could be much better balanced and overall not that enjoyable. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a bubbly carbonation comprised of many fine bubbles. Drinkability suffers due to the fact that this beer just doesn't taste very good. All around "average" describes this beer at best.

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

I read a bunch of the reveiws here and I feel like the kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes" wondering why this is one of the worst tasting lagers I've had in a long time but everyone else is singing it's praises. I love good lagers and I drink a lot of them and I always like to try new ones. I picked a couple bottles up at Trader Joe's because you can purchase by the bottle there and I figured I'd give it a go. I had to literally choke the beer down. A good lager should not be bitter like an ale and give a bad after taste. It should go down smoothe and have a pleasant aftertaste to the pallette. This did neither, it was very hoppy and more characteristics of a Pale Ale.

I really like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and it is my go to beer when I want something with a little bite and bitterness. I think they should stick with what they know how to brew and stay away from doing a Lager in the future. I am still perplexed though at what so many people find appealing about this lager.

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

A: Poured into my pint glass from the bottle. A clear golden color with almost no head and plenty of carbonation bubbles.

S: Really no smell to be smelled has a very macro feel to it.

T: Very grainy and watery. The body is so light that it tastes so much like a macro that I kept looking at my bottle to make sure I was drinking a Sierra Nevada beer. Almost no flavor.

D: Overall this is the worst Sierra Nevada beer that I have had and was shocked, honestly at how low quality this is.

2.61/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from bottle to a pint glass after trying it out of the bottle (to see if it is a worthy picnic beer.)

Pale straw color little to no head, not impressed at all.

Smell, I felt it was a little skunky. Not what I was hoping for. I kind of had Sam Admas Summer Ale on my mind and I felt this was a disappointment.

Taste, not a whole lot there. A little skunk with almost a grassy finish. Not bad for what they were going for but not really the bite I was expecting. It was crisp and clean like a summer beer, it just didn't do anything for me. Did not jump off the page at me.

Mouthfeel was somewhat absent, a little watery but if I was drinking it on a hotter day I think I would have liked it more.

If you are looking for a summer refresher, plain and simple and the little bit of skunk does not get in your way this is probably a winner.

For me as a summer beer I don't think this quite cut the mustard. I think the SA mentioned and Anchor Steam summer or Bell's Oberon would do better. In fact I would pick a Corona and lime over this. To be fair though you should try it on a hot summer day. Might improve then.

2.62/5  rDev -28.8%

2008 Vintage
12 oz bottle

Pours a bright yellow color with a surprisingly frothy head of white foam.
Very faint grainy corn-husk aroma..other than that, nothing in the nose at all.
Light bodied with a pale malt flavor up-front and a dash of grassy, floral hops..some light lemon zest as well.
Overall, this is a very light, clean, drinkable beer that is a bit rough-around-the-edges. The flavor is lackluster and honestly rather bland with no standout qualities. It would be alright on a hot summer day to quench your thirst, but probably not one I'd choose to re-visit.

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Clear, golden yellow, fluffy white head, some retention & lace.

S: Acidic, soapy/floral hops.

T: Slightly sweet, slight soapy/floral hop flavour. Needs some more bready maltyness and bitterness. It's just too light for a Pils.

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation.

D: Approachable & quite quaffable, but it doesn't bring me back for more.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Heavy lager. Can not believe this is a summer beer. Too much for me!

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%

This one was likely a little old when I got it (I have my comments in a notebook). Pours a yellowish color. Aroma was rather skunky, so I am guessing light got to it. The flavor was much like the smell. Caramel malts within the brew are a little heavy, but I have come to expect that of many micros.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not my type of beer, my brother gave it to me. I'll drink it, have had much better lagers. I'm all about hops, but I think it's the hop flavor that ruins this beer for me

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Picked up a sixer of this (2006 edition) for the Kentucky Derby last Saturday in anticipation of clinking a few bottles in victory (and financial gain). Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my horse to finish and the beer didn't impress too much either but let's give it the official taste test.
Color is golden and features a snowy cap of head that is ably supported by an armada of carbonation bubbles. Hops are evident in the nose but are overshadowed by a grainy quality in the nose that doesn't do it for me. Not real stellar so far.
Initial taste is fairly decent but astringencies and a negative bitterness take it downhill from there. The mouthfeel is watery and thin, even for a Euro lager. Decent hop tones in the aftertaste but that's about all to recommend it.
I know everyone loves Sierra Nevada but I think this is sub par at best. I won't look for this one again, especially not for nine bones plus tax and deposit for a sixer. There are many better summer beers for my cash.

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2005 vintage

Appearance: Crystal clear golden body, nice crisp white head that stuck around. Lots of bubbles up to the top. Good lacing too.

Smell: Very earthy and herbal hops, crisp and refreshing aroma. A little one dimensional, though.

Taste: One of the only lagers I've had that's a real hop assult. In my opinion, it doesn't work. It reminds me a lot of tonic water unfortunately. Very dry too, not refreshing.

It was off to a good start with it's appearance and aroma, but didn't quite hold up. Oh well.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

Decent beer for me, but nothing special

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

12 oz twist off. $1.71/bottle (about .50 more than average local beers) 2005 on the neck band.

Pours a clear, light straw color. Thin white head of small bubbles. Smell is grassy and herbal. Light fruity notes… strange for a lager.

First taste comes with an astringent grassy flavor. Uhg. Lawn clipping aftertaste. The aftertaste is killing me. Long, lingering grass bitterness.

Hold on a minute… As the beer warms, the malt actually makes a bit of an appearance. Very odd. I still hate the aftertaste, but this has become palatable now that it has warmed up. Lager eh? If I were to drink this again, and that is a big if, I would start it chilled, but not cold. Drinking cold was a disaster, drinking cool made this an average beer.

Not sure how to score this one. For cold, go half a point lower, for cool, half a point higher.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

A poorly done SN job. I expected so much. it wasn;t awful but not up to their standards.

appearance: golden

smell: not much there. had a pilsner distinct aroma

taste: Like a classic pilsner but with a dirty macro aftertaste

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: there's better pilsners out there. worst SN beer in the lineup

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

I was really not too impressed with this one. Pours a rich golden color with a medium and fizzy off-white head. Very bubbly with thin lacing. Aroma is mild hops with a pinch of citrus. Light and crisp but ultimately uninspiring in the flavor department. It tasted about a 1/2 step better than the rest of the bland Lagers out there. The finish is decent but I honestly found my interest waning way before the end of the glass.

2.71/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale transparent yellow with a decent 1 1/2 finger white head.

Smell seems a bit "off". Mine may be skunked.Some light grassiness and a popcorn aroma.

Taste doesn't suit me either. I like a bitter beer, but this is bad bitter. Harsh, overpowering, out of balance.

Decent mouthfeel. Rather light and a bit drying.

The drinkability suffers here. It reminds me of a bad macro.,

Judging from the good reviews, I'm pretty certain my Summerfest must have been skunked. The beer I taste here can't hold a candle to Pilsner Urquell.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not up to Sierra Nevada's standard.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle for $1.79. 2007 Edition.

A: Pours a pale straw yellow with about an inch of white head.

S: I usually don't like the smell of pilsners. I tend to think they smell skunked or like Eurocrap, in a corny/grassy way. This is no exception.

T: Disappointing. Overhopped that leaves an unpleasant bitterness. Finishes a little sour as well. Does have a nice little touch of sweetness to it.

M: A nice crispness, but also a little weak.

D: Would be okay on a hot day, but nothing special.

On the bottle it just says its a 'traditional lager'. Here its categorized as a pils. I think its a combo of the two, and not necessarily in a good way. I expect better from SN.

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%

It is a lot more consistent in taste than that of the bottle. You can definitely experience more of a full flavor, whereas the bottled version is a lot more mellow. I've had this beer on draft as well, and being that I am not a fan of lagers, I was also not a fan of this beer in any of its forms. I find that the taste is too bitter, as if licking a mahogany wood post. I just can't grasp the bitterness and wish that there was more to offer in terms of its flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.