Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPASierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Finishing hops: New Zealand Motueka and New Zealand Southern Cross

Added by Todd on 05-07-2008

Ratings: 3,092 |  Reviews: 1,344

2.12/5  rDev -47.7%

Let me qualify this review by saying I'm a big SN fan...that being said, this beer disappoints me.

Aroma: slightly catty and skunky. A "lager-like" yeasty aroma and a touch of spiciness. Also, a bit of DMS which is disturbing.

Appearance: Hazy brick red pour with a sticky off-white cap.

Flavor: Saltine crackers, biscuity, earthy hops, and some spicy floral flavors. A brush of alcohol but this flavor is really lacking. Just a little malt and hops and really nothing else.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with high carbonation. A bit of a carbonic bite with some lingering hop oiliness left on the palate.

Overall impression: This one is lost on me. If it's truly the S. Hemisphere hops then it looks like I'll be drinking/brewing less hoppy beers and using my good ol' N. Hemisphere hops. To me, all the "less than desirable" flavors seemed mostly malt driven (DMS, saltine crackers, etc). I'm giving SN the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they rushed this to market or I just got a bad bottle. Either way, I won't be hitting this again soon. I need to go brush my teeth with some Bigfoot.

2.29/5  rDev -43.5%

2010 model pours ruby with a clumpy head that leaves a consistent lacing

Very medicinal and earthy on the nose, with quite a malt presence and a whiff of menthol. Was anticipating something more..perhaps this is standard for hop profile used in this beer.

Tastes like she smells. Very medicinal and rough. Aftertaste a bit like the good old days of sneaking a Newport cigarette. Bitter lingering sensation is not altogether pleasant...a bit of candy cane mixes with the malt.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and medium bodied.

Drinkabilty depends on how my drain feels about the remainder of this bottle.

2.34/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a dark cloudy orange with a small white head leaving decent lacing down the glass.

Smells of a little grassiness with a slight citrus/tropical fruit aroma.

Taste is very one dimensional. Very astringent earthy bitterness overpowers everything else and no other flavors really stand out.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

A huge miss from a usually solid brewer. I'll try another next year a little fresher, but this was so bad, I don't think it'll help much.

2.38/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich amber color with a 1 inch head. Aroma is very hoppy. Taste is very bitter and overpowering with hops. Very bitter in the mouth. Drinkability is not good. I struggled to finish my 24 oz. bottle. As a lager lover this beer is just not for me.

2.44/5  rDev -39.8%

I don't know why I really couldn't get into this one! I'm a big SN fan and I had high expectations. This one was too bitter for me and trust me, I love bitterness. Something in the taste dept. wasn't doin it for me. All of the flavors seem diminished. Not juicy or anything. It's definitely a nice effort and I know there are plenty of people that appreciate this brew, just wasn't for me.

Freshness wasn't an issue, just couldn't get into it, and I really wanted to.

2.46/5  rDev -39.3%

Pours a two finger cream head that fades slowly and leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Flavor starts almost sweet but like any IPA the hops are here but not overpowering. Slight bitter, lingering finish. $2.99 for a 24oz bottle from Yankee Spirits South Attleboro, Ma also $4.25 for same bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

2.46/5  rDev -39.3%

Appearance: Glowing Copper. Like a shiny new penny. Light carbonation. It has a slight head that disseminated quickly.

Smell: Not a ton of character. Resiny aroma hops. Fresh tasting and snappy.

Taste: Strong bitterness. I taste plum and wild fruit. Juniper and berries. A bit grainy. The malts aren't very complex. I taste piney resiny hops. Delicate spiciness This ale goes down bitter with a slight sugary finish. It needs a better malt profile like that found in any of the other Sierra Nevada beers to balance the extreme bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium. Chewy. Not a lot of malt character.

Overall: Personally I would rather pick up a 7 pack of Torpedo. Good balance of aromatic and bittering hops. I would probably discourage drinkers from trying this unless they feel like drinking a hop bomb.

2.48/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Re-reviewed on 7/31/13:

Bought a bottle down in Total Wine, DE. 22-oz bomber with no bottled on date. There's a code, but I don't know what the heck all the jumbled numbers mean. It is a 2013 edition, so I figured it was fresh at the time. A little later after checking the internets, I realized this one was brewed sometime around April 2013. Sierra Nevada: PLEASE PUT A FRESHNESS STAMP ON YOUR BEERS, PLEASE!!!!

Anyway, I poured the beer into a tulip for re-review.

A: Might have some chill haze. Appears a ruby orange with nice off-white head with lacing that sticks to glass sides quite nice.

S: Hops have faded. Some faint orange zest. Lots of malt sweetness and maybe a little tiny citrus hop note. A shame. The hops are why I bought this beer. I messed up. Should've passed on this one. Only wish I knew it had been sitting on the shelf for way too long.

T: Bitter with very little hop flavor and sweet malts.

M: Ample bitterness with a medium full feel due to sweetness of malts. SN seems to have kicked up the specialty malts to balance with the abundance of hops. With the hops now faded, I'm left with too sweet a malt beer for a fresh hop ale.

O: Again, I'm disappointed. This is strike two for me with this beer. As my previous review was killed due to dirty tap lines, this one suffers from a beer that cleary stayed on the shelf too long. These two things are stuff that really frustrates me in the craft beer craze. Bars who want to beer craft beer bars need to clean their lines regularly and retail shops need to move merchandise quicker or remove dated releases once old. And breweries really should stamp bottled on or freshness dates on their beers!

Review from 6/24/10:

Had a pint at Mad Mex. Pours an amber, copper color. Smells kind of off. Not sure if the tap lines were clean. Smells like vanilla; not getting any hop aroma for a wet hop beer. Ok: after checking other reviews it turns out what I might be getting is simply what was put into the beer. Strong grapefruit aroma present. The taste is just like the aroma. Strong grapefruit-like. More malty than hoppy or bitter. Mouthfeel not good. Tastes a little sour. I'm not really digging this one at all. I think either I had a bad batch or I just don't like this one. A rarity of a Sierra brew if what I had was the real deal. Would much rather prefer their fall wet harvest ale. Note: once I try this one again I'll re-review.

2.53/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

2015 version. A 22oz bomber with a packaged date of 27th April 2015 i.e. day 99 for this 100-day IPA and poured into an IPA glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a clear amber ice tea colour with a big three finger off white cream head that lasts a long long time and leaves lots of lacing.

Aroma: Its all quite light as nothing stands out. Just some light caramel malts and maybe just a bit of apple, pear and pine.

Taste: For an IPA, this is rather malt driven. Initially sweet caramel and candied sugar followed by slightly bready, buscuity malt. It finishes with some floral hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I prefer SN’s other IPA offerings over this one as the malt is overpowering here. The aromas were also a little light for me.

2.7/5  rDev -33.3%

2.72/5  rDev -32.8%

Bomber into 20oz glass
A- Amber with generous white head.
S- A bit lacking to be honest, not much here
T- Hint of citrus, a bit onion/garlic, very sweet, a bit of bitterness, nothing spectacular.
M- A bit thick given the ABV, decent carbonation.
O- Really lacking in the nose, weird hop flavors, not very good.

2.72/5  rDev -32.8%

Priced at 12 bucks for 72 oz, cheap for a great IPA, but Sierra has set the bar pretty high on value to dollar (ignoring their 10+ doubles which haven’t been great).

Copper rust colored, with rather nice clarity. A good bit of bubbles in the bottle, some lacing, and some head. Nothing special here, darker than the average IPA.

A funky English like hop profile here. There’s almost an element of rust and metallic notes here. Light thin malt profile is apparent and balances things.

Earthy and somewhat funky hops up front giving way to a light caramel malt, and finally finishes bitter. There’s a certain spice and zest to these hops that I can’t really describe. This is no American ipa in flavor, but you can tell Americans dreamed it up.

Bitter, spicy, and truthfully a touch hard to drink.

I think their normal wet hop beer is amazing, but these hops aren’t my thing. Still worth picking up a bottle every few years or having on top when offered.

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%

A: Pours a clear copper with two fingers of off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer and leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S: Orange citrus with touches of pineapple and grapefruit on the nose. There are also some resiny pine aromas in there. They're all fairly subdued, though--I really had to swirl and stick my face in the tulip to smell them.

T: Lots of bitter, grassy, resiny pine flavors dominate the flavor profile. The finish is also quite bitter and almost has a bile-like quality to it. The bitterness lingers around well after the sip.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer is pretty dry and crisp, but the lingering bitterness doesn't help.

O: Unfortunately this one's a bit of a miss for Sierra Nevada. I loved their Estate fresh hop ale in the fall, but this one is just too one-dimensional and bitter.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.