Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPASierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Finishing hops: New Zealand Motueka and New Zealand Southern Cross

Added by Todd on 05-07-2008

Ratings: 3,090 |  Reviews: 1,344

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 2012 into a tulip and this beer looks phenomenal! A great medium amber color with a billowing tan-tinged head. Leaves great sticky lacing.

The aroma is a mix of hops and spices. The hops seem sweeter than say, Torpedo. More pineapple, some citrus, but also a ton of spice and caramel-ly malt.

The first sip follows the nose, but there is nothing that pops. I didn't feel that this beer really proved to be all that exciting or complex. I got an incredible amount of undesirable bitterness. Almost like aspirin, it wasn't very good. You can definitely taste hops and the sweetness is right up there with a malty backbone. I was simply expecting this one to pop, and nothing ever stood out.

The bitterness cuts the drinkability some, but its really not a bad beer, just something I would hesitate to pick up again.

3.31/5  rDev -18.3%

2012 bottle as fresh as fresh can be.

A: Copper/amber and slightly see-through. A finger of head with very little lacing.

S: Sweet floral hops with a slight malty tone. Very clean smell. Nothing too special.

T: Flowery and herbal, bitter green tea, slight citrus fruits, caramel malt sweetness.

M: Low carbonation and very bitter.

O: Man...I'd like to rate this one higher, but this one is a miss for me. Trust me, I'm a huge SN fan and I love everything they've done, but this one isn't doing it for me. The bitterness isn't balanced with much else. Maybe my allergies are getting in the way of tasting this, because I'd really like to like it at only $5 a bomber from one of my favorite breweries, so I'll have to try it again in the future. As of right now, I'm not really enjoying it.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked up a 24 ounce bottle. (I love the label)

A: This pours an amber color leaning on the redder tint side. Slight haziness, the head and retention were stunning ( a solid two-finger height with the head never dissapperaing on me)

S: The smell is an aromatic mixture of malt, hops with floral/hint of citrus notes. My craft beer journey is just somewhat starting, but so far the aroma from this beer surpasses all others.

T: My favorite part! Where to start? This has a bold taste starts off with a perfect balance of malt and hops and finishes nearly the same. The caramel notes shine in this beer with a slight sweetness but not overpowering.

M: Very smooth, the carbonation is balanced and very refreshing.

O: IMO this beer gets a rating of 5, everything about this beer is great, its easy to drink, balanced and the taste is amazing. I cant wait to try Northern Hemisphere in the fall.

3.94/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 24oz bottle into a pint glass
Brewed in late april, a little over a month old

A- Pours a hazy cloudy amber with a finger and a half of off white foam. Great retention and lacing

S- Malt is what stands out the most. Strong hops from the behind. Citrus and other floral notes are there. However due to the logistics of the hops used it’s the first time I’ve smelled it and am at a loss to describe it

T- Very strong and smooth. I’ve heard the hops have a spice to them, which I find to be more of a nice tang. Mild caramel malts are very well represented and the foundation of the beer.

M- Little carbonation with strong bitterness that lands on the back of the tongue. Very nice dry finish

O- As always, a quality brew from Sierra Nevada. Made even better by the appreciation of the lengths they go through to get fresh hops all the way from new Zealand back to America, dried, and brewed in ‘a little over a week.’ Very impressive and very easy to drink. Looking forward to this years Northern harvest

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

24 oz bottle poured into a Nonic pint glass.
An aggressive pour.

A- Pours a hazy deep burnt orange color, with 4 fingers of THICK and creamy off white head that is lingering a while leaving a large foamy cap on top of the beer you could float a bottle cap on. Looks great.

S- Spicy hops. Pine resin. Some caramel malts give a slight bready smell.

T- Surprisingly pretty balanced. The hops add a pleasant earthy bitterness to a solid malt backbone. A nice complex flavor that one would expect from Sierra Nevada. The hops add a sticky pine resin flavor that coats the mouth.

M- An easy drinker with it's medium body and refreshing carbonation.

O- Glad I picked one up. A very well brewed balanced beer, I've never seen head retention that is so thick and creamy. This is winner in my book.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

I wasn’t able to get Northern Hemisphere this last year, but Southern Hemisphere was no problem. Summer sounds great for a harvest ale – and it’s even relatively fresh. Cheers!

Brewed a little over a month before the date of this tasting (2116 of the bottle code translates to a bottling date of April 25, 2012).

A: A beautiful orange body, with touches of amber as I pour. The head is rocky, tan foam that sinks slowly from its two-finger perch, leaving stretches of bubbly lacing all around the glass.

S: Ladies and gentlemen, we have hops. It’s not as strong as I imagine it would have been the week after bottling, but the aroma is quite appetizing: mild resins over a bed of that New Zealand floweriness, with a pinch of cinnamon spice, even. A touch of malts come through lightly, adding warm sweet bread, fresh butter, and honey flavoring (not thick enough to be the pure, syrupy stuff).

T: Very smooth flavor, and in a memorably earthy way. Malts are sweet and dark, providing a base of honey, toast, under-ripe banana, cinnamon roll, and maple, upon which the hops can dance. And these bitter little flowers take center stage for the remainder of the brew, too, hitting with a bit of tart blueberry, grapefruit, and orange juice before the main tastes of floral pine set in. It’s a full (yet not too thick) IPA taste that leaves the palate dark and spicy. Aftertaste is mellow, with dry salts and sweet bread in a nice, drinkable balance.

M: Very foamy – not prickly at all, really. I have a feeling that’s why the darkness of the malt can come out, and I like it.

O: At times, this beer tastes like a cream ale; so smooth and creamy that it almost downplays the hops. And aren’t those supposed to be the showcase of this beer? Oh well, you won’t hear me complain that much – this stuff is good.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

24 oz bottle, 2012, poured into a pint glass.

A: A very nice copper-amber-orange, that produces a wonderful white thick foamy head that lasts.

S: A nice hoppy aroma that is subtle, but still gives you nice whiffs of citrus and pine, with a slight hint of toffee.

T: A very fresh mix of citrus and pine hop flavors that don't overpower the malty goodness.

M: Chewy and creamy, and very easy to drink. The carbonation is just right for me. Went down too smooth, and was sad when the bottle was empty.

O: Excellent IPA that is well balanced. You get to experience all of the ingredients, with no one ingredient overpowering another.

I am a huge Sierra Nevada fan, and truly believe the brewery does things right. I have not been disappointed in any of the styles that I love from this brewery. So yes, I gave it 5's across the board as I love this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.