Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPASierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Style: American IPA

Finishing hops: New Zealand Motueka and New Zealand Southern Cross

Added by Todd on 05-07-2008

Reviews: 1,336 | Ratings: 2,983
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

a: This was a clear golden color with some strong amber/copper highlights. It poured with a massive, sticky, and craggy head.

s: Pungent earthy hops with some pronounced grapefruit and lemon. A decent amount of caramel malt lingers in the backround.

t: Even better than the smell would suggest. Fresh, prickly grape fruit hoppy goodness that also taste somewhat piny and earthy. Moderate sweetness in the form brown sugar and caramel. At the very end there is a hint of astringency, my only minor complaint.

m: Crisp, slick, and sticky. The carbonation is gently fizzy and perfectly long lasting.

d: Five bucks for 24ozs? Fantastic beer that I think I may have tried late in the season. I'll look for it sooner next year.

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big head, excellent lacing, big hop aroma, flowers, pine and citrus. The color is an orange/copper and cloudy. The initial flavor is creamy, back of the tongue bitter the hops just roll in your mouth, very nice. The body is medium, the texture creamy and the carbonation lively.

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%

A> Dark orange honey. lively. big head which dissipates steadily. lacing.

S>Last month a local hop farmer gave me a handful of 'just harvested hops' to smell. Oh, my goodness! This was EXACTLY it. but with some honey notes.

T>Super complex. Sweet start. ginormous hop punch which softens smoothly before becoming a beautiful, satisfyling resiny hang.

M>nothing to write home about, but fine by me

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a beautiful light copper. Nice big head settles to a generous film. Lacings are thick and sticky. Looks pretty much perfect.

I can't nail down the fruits here. Tropical certainly. I could take the lacy way out and rhyme off the usual suspects, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, etc. But the aroma is a touch too complex for my nose.

Where the nose is almost delicate, the taste is for the hopheads. Blast of bitterness up front, lovely fruit mid palate, sticky resinous finish. Sweet caramel malt, almost like a barley wine without the heat.

A brilliant beer. I'm no hopheads, but I can certainly appreciate this for what it is.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I flat out enjoyed this beer.... alot. Sierra Nevada may not be as trendy to say you like because they are readily available beers, but this is an example of an IPA done right.

A - As the beer poured into my glass I could see the creamy orange liquid swirling around. Slight lacing, and a nice lively foam.

S - An appetizing bouquet of flowery hops hits your nose. There is also a smell of citrus, kinda like tangerines.

T - And here's the payoff. This was a smooth IPA with a crisp taste. The hops are clearly at work, and in a good way. I get a little bit of fresh bread too.

M - Not too heavy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

D - I was hoping nobody else would notice that I was polishing off this bottle. This one was addictingly good.

Maybe it was the hot day, or just a craving for a good IPA. But SV hit the mark on this. By far a tasty brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly orange with a nice white head. Pours smooth, ok head retention.
S - Hops definitely present, but not overdone. Smells very 'fresh', as if just past the green stage, but certainly ready to drink.
T - Pleasant, with a nice mixture of hops and spice.
M - Hops not overdone here as well, but definitely present. Good, almost delightful.
D - Great drinkability. Could do this as a session beer. Everything works together well to create a great beer to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

amber color with off-white head that clings to the glass like a needy girlfriend.

sweet, with pine, floral and citrus notes.

Finishes with a lingering floral hops.

an amped-up SN APA. Delish...

Served in a 24 oz. bottle, who needs more than one??

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Finally cracked my Southern Hemisphere open to experience the glory of a fresh hop beer. Appearance was a lovely tawny orange color with a tan head that retained very well and laced.

Smell was of fresh floral citrusy hops. Some malt notes in the background.

Taste was excellent, hops were complex and perfectly balanced, not overly bitter. Malt came through nicely as well. All in all, remarkably excellent and the only deduction was that for some reason with this complexity it still tasted a bit bland somehow.

Mouthfeel was nice with creaminess, smoothness, crispness, and finished clean. No aftertaste at all.

Drinkability was outstanding. I'm considering going out to buy a few more of these and making it a permanent part of my annual rotation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured redorange into the glass with a thick, rocky, white head that lasted and lasted leaving sticky lace all down the sides. Smell was all hops, really fresh smelling with piney and minty grass notes. Taste was a hop explosion in my mouth. The first thing that came to my mind was weed. Up front it tasted just like weed. Pine sap and mintiness were the first favors noticeable, then faded into lemony grapefruity citrus with a good tongue-tingly bitterness that lasted. "Fresh Hop Ale" is how this was described on the bottle and it fits this beer perfectly. At 6.7% ABV, it's definitely drinkable, and it's not too badly priced; I got a 24 oz. bottle for $5.19 at Consumer's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft in a pint glass. Copper orange color with a thick off-white head. Floral, grass-y nose. Fresh is the word, and this beer really delivers. Great hops and nice bitterness, but not overpowering. I know it's not classified as an IPA but it sure has all the aspects of IPAs that I love. Very drinkable, could have two of these in an evening. Glad I was finally able to try it and it definitely didn't disappoint. Another solid brew from Sierra Nevada.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Beautiful amber color. Reminds me of a pretty golden sundown. Thick frothy two finger head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: floral, citrus, and pine notes. Slight malt and spice notes as well. Not the greatest aroma from a beer.

Taste: A little sweet and citrusy on the front. Has a little kick in the middle that lingers for a while. Sweet caramel notes and bitterness follows.

Mouth feel: Has a great mouth feel. Nice and smooth on the tongue. Good for a hot day. However I do get some oil residue from the hops.

Overall: Great beer for a hot day. Nice full hop flavors through out the whole beer. Nice color.

Glassware: growler into snifter

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saw a bottle of this sitting all by it's lonesome in my local bottle shops cooler...I just had to take it home.

Appearance: Pours a nice deep amber with a solid inch of foamy head. Very good retention and with great lacing.

Smell: Hops. Bitter, delicious hops. Smells of pine and grapefruit.

Taste: A subtle malt backbone, but the taste of grapefruit dominates. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, decent carbonation. Hops leave a nice tingle on the palate.

Drinkability: Wow. I am regretting only getting one bottle. If you are any bit a hop head, you will love this beer. Very hoppy, but not to the point of being overwhelming. I will be getting more of this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured amber orangy color, with rocky white 3 finger head. A=Sweet, citrus, piney smell, has that typical Sierra nevada pale smell about it, which I love by the way, just has a real clean smell to it.
T= more of the same starts with the sweetness, then seesm together even sweeter in the middle and finishes with a sort of caramelized sugar flavor and of course oily piney citrus Fresh hops, mmm.
M= medium

overall= I really really like this brew, it's clean and refreshing, with a bit of an unusual hop flavor and has a nice sweetness that balances it (but on the hoppier side of course). Great, I will have to get more of this befor it's gone for the year. I could drink this all day!

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

24oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I have had a few of these over a few months. I'm extremely new to "reviewing" beer, but have had and drank a great variety. I must also say Sierra Nevada was my first beer and my favorite available beer. This bottle was bought a month back and stored in the basement collection until tonight. I haven't ate in hours, I had a bell's hopslam about 30 minutes prior. On with it.

a= light amber in the glass. Very interesting head, like a hardened lava flow that has collapsed some. Lacing is only on heavy on the top rim, really doesn't lace.

s=hops there's something else.

t= sort of regular sierra hops that tend to light bitter, some maltiness to me.

m= hangs in the mouth, coats the tongue and the headiness mixes nicely. I find it very good.

d= very easy to drink. I wouldn't buy a case, but if I had it I would willing drink it.

Ahh ok, I reviewed this beer because I had another bottle before dinner and the nose was utterly awful. I had it from my beer stores in the basement it's just under 60F. This one had everything similar but the nose. And that was say like a puke smell. Similar to baby's milk puke, having a baby I had thought it was me. I changed shirts, washed my face and hands, and changed glasses but the beer simply had a milk puke smell. I looked it up to see if anybody else experienced this and remembered I could review it. This is why I drank a second one and reviewed it later in evening, knowing it was good a few months back when i had it. Just somehow had a bad bottle, unluckily.

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice rust color. Big full head on this one, leaving a lot of lacing on the glass.
I really didn't get a lot of aroma from here. Really, with the hops it seems like it should have been stronger.
Thankfully, the taste more than make up for it. The best way I could describe it is "green." The hops are foremost of course, but they are just balanced by a nice malty sweetness. It is strange to feel like a beer with such a prominent hop flavor can be so smooth, but it really is.
The nice thing is that even in a 24 ounce bottle, one can easily put down the whole thing in a sitting.
Definitely recommended.

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a snifter. Big, fluffy off-white head, high retention with soapy and clear lacing on a clear copper body. Aroma includes big notes of fresh grass and pine. Taste has a very satisfying bitter bite with some citrus/grapefruit notes, some sweet caramel malt in the background. Quite delicious...as per usual from Sierra Nevada.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass with a nice frothy head. Lots of lacing as well. A clear golden color.

Aroma is pretty much straight hops. A very nice smell.

The tastes is excellent, not a whole lot of malt presence, yet the hop bitterness isn't overwhelming. Very smooth and drinkable, a really nice, almost light IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased at Wegmans in Rochester, NY.

Pours a golden copper, with lots of haze. 2 inch fluffy foamy head, good lacing.

Smells earthy and dank, some grass, grapefruit, and orange.

Similar flavor, but more complex. The hop flavor can only be described as "the good kind of dirty"- very earthy, dank, and resinous, with black and white pepper, grapefruit, passionfruit, grass, and pine. Very crisp and dry.

Full body, creamy but dry mouthfeel, well carbonated. Quite drinkable. Lingering bitterness as well as lingering tingliness on the lips and tongue.

A lot of earthy flavors in this one that really work. The mouthfeel has this crazy tingliness that I love and don't see often.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Honey orange with a fine sand colored inch of foam that melts into a creamy disk that rests on top leaving behind plenty of sticky lace. The spicy resinous hop aroma hit just as I cracked the cap on this one, the fruity, citrusy hop aroma is nicely complemented by toasty grain and caramel. The flavor is pretty hop forward with grapefruit and lemon pepper spiciness up front with a nice chewy caramel malt backbone. Medium full bodied with a long finish. This beer is a real treat, get some while it's fresh.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a 22oz glass. Pours a clear copper color with thick foamy white head. Great lacing and great head retention.

Very hoppy smell. I know the hops are from New Zealand, but it smells like Cascades. Some sweet citrusy aroma too. Slight malt scents.

Good hop attack and crisp finish. Very hoppy - just the way I like it. Definately some citrus and some grassy taste.

Goes down well. The hops coat the tip of my tongue and linger there a bit. Still have the hop taste in my mouth after a few minutes.

A very tasty session beer and I'm happy I was able to try it this season.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottle poured into my good ol' pint glass.

A - A clear copper with little head containing very small bubbles.

S - Hops, hops, and more hops.

T - Citrus, hops, and some hops.

M - Very little carbonation and viscosity is in the middle.

D - Very easy to drink. I think I can drink a lot of these in one sitting.

Summary - If you like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, you'll definitely like this one. I get a lot more hoppyness from this and that's a good thing. Sierra Nevada has yet to disappoint me.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark orange pour from a 24 oz. bottle which I'm sharing with my girlfriend. Long lasting white head leaves copious amounts of lacing.
Fresh hops are really prominent in the nose. Bracing herbal sort of hoppy aromas with some citrus/pine scent mixed in.
Hops are really upfront on the flavor, a nice shot of biscuit malt in the middle with more hops in the finish. Very tasty. Hoppier than the regular SNPA but quite at hopbomb level.
Mouthfeel is softly smooth and creamy.
Very easy to drink. I'd love to have a few of these but I only bought the one bottle.
The best thing I've tasted from Sierra Nevada(and anybody else) in a long time. I hope they brew this every spring.

A - copper w/ amber highlights, nice biege 3 finger head off initial pour

S - juicy and resiney citrus hops, also a bit of spice comes through against a caramel smelling malt canvas, this is gonna be tasty!

T - spicy bitterness -more than expected from an APA. Tastes similar to the nose. Nice malt support to this hop forward beer. Spicy/citrus hops steal the show and make for a tasty brew that hopheads are sure to enjoy.

MF - creamy, slightly oily feel, moderate carbonation and a medium body

D - excellent balance and palatable, yet another solid hop-forward SN entry. Cheers Chico buddies!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Holy cow what an awesome beer. With over 900 reviews I'll spare the repetition of color and smell and that nonsense. Wet hop ales have got to be some of my favorites, especially when they are done correctly. And I have yet to find a better one (bottled none the less) than Sierra Nevada. DRINK THIS BEER!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

bottle into tulip

appearance: cloudy burnt amber orange, 1 finger white head, lot's of lacing

smell: earthy, hay, sweet malt, orange peels, exotic herbal hops dominate, subdued floral notes make a quick appearance, some caramel, and some lemon zest and coriander on the backend

taste: An initial floral, earthy, piney dominance gives way to a few quick notes of grapefruit, and orange peel, then subdues very quick and leaves your tongue with a thick resiny coat of piney bitterness. Very well balanced, the lingering bitterness is not as harsh as the initial taste and smell would suggest, making this a highly drinkable beer. Drinks sort of like a bitter pale ale.

mouthfeel: average carbonation, surprisingly thick, full bodied feel

overall: Honestly this may be my favorite beer all time from Sierra Nevada. Very well balanced, and rather unique as I got some exotic hop flavors that I haven't quite tasted before. I would buy this again if I saw it, a damn good beer that beat my expectations.

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.