Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Reviews: 1,368 | Ratings: 3,973

There are not many times when I give a beer a perfect score, but this one TOTALLY deserves it, my goodness. Only a couple beer have made a perfect score in my book, and this is one of them indeed.

A-Pours in my big snifer, a beautiful, luscious hazy deep yellow color with a thick and creamy white head that has outstanding retention and gorgeous lacing.

S-And the aroma is no exception. It wofts notes of clove spiced green apples. Perfect for the style. Wow is all else I can say... As it warms, some very slight hints of bannana come through too.

T-The flavor is first of sweet wheaty, yeasty goodness, which is balanced by the very noticable, but perfect amount of hop bitterness. I think I might be getting some earthy hop flavor too, but that might just be the yeast characteristics. Pretty clovy in the flavor too. Which is per style. And again some hints of bannana underneath as it warms.

M-This has a full creamy body with a dry finish... Luscious indeed.

D-I could totally drink this all day and night at a barbaque or family reunion and such. This goes down so full body, yet smooth and lighter in abv so it's extremely sessionable. Very impressed with this one from SN. Another job well done, and year round too! man...

The best tasting american Brewed Wheat Beer I have had thus far, and I am a huge wheat beer fan. This beer has a perfect cloudy appearance, and tastes great, nice and malty. You can definately identify the banana and clove taste, but in a good way, very faint bitter aftertaste. If you had ever had Palanor which is a German import beer, this beer tastes like a milder flavor of that.

I always reach for Hefeweizens. This American made brew is by far the tastiest I've had. I've found a new favorite. Pours Golden Blonde with a fluffy thick white head. Tastes like a Hefeweizen should taste. Tastes like banana up front with a light clove and a good wheaty taste.

Recently, my dad brought me a bottle of this over to share. Wow. This is my favorite hefeweizen. I keep thinking that I'll find one that I like better, but nope, this is it.

The best looking hefeweizen I've seen. Pours a brilliant golden yellow, with orange hues. Perfectly cloudy with suspended yeast. Amazing in the sunlight.

A hard pour yields a one finger head that sticks around a bit.

Smell is a nice balance of bread, banana, and a hint of clove creeping through.

Taste follows suit. Carbonation packs a light punch right off the bat. Leaves a nice sweet banana taste on the tip of the tongue, cloves in the nose, and a bready, mild bitterness on the back of the palate. There's a creamy element to the mouthfeel, which balances out the flavor.

Overall, this beer puts it all together in perfect harmony. It is, perhaps, the creaminess that yields what I find to be a perfect hefeweizen.

Well I'm proud to report that a US-brewery has finally brewed an incredible Hefeweizen! Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen rouses the senses and makes one think they were back in Germany smelling the fresh air under a tree in the Biergarten. Possibly, only Long Trails would maintain somewhat equivalent in the mind as an acceptable choice when looking to a US Craft Brewery to provide what the Germans have done so eloquently for so long now.

Though the Germans clearly still win out in tradition, History, Gastronomy (not sure if Sierra Nevada will actually distribute the glass they chose for the beer to the fine establishments serving it or not!) and experience (one can describe the Biergarten culture with words, though no word could ever fully explain what is!), this beer goes a long ways beyond the one-step-above notion of what a Session Beer is that they choose to label Wheat Beer here in the US! From Keller (cellar) to your palate, I hope you recognize the truly mind-blowing love and devotion that this brewery, Sierra Nevada, has gone to in bringing you this beer.

A - Heaven has arrived! Though missing the Weißwurst and Biergarten, the meringuelike frothy-white head would take several fingers to measure and even after receding, leaves legs that make the once visible head known. Finger-thick film remains atop the cloudy opaque Deep Gold (Two-row Pale, Wheat, Munich [SRM 6]) hue. Rousing the suspended yeast by swirling the glass instantly vigorates the head via high carbonic activity. Though the brandy snifter isn't ideal for sampling this beer, the design still allows for plenty of love to consume the senses!

S - Banana mixed with gum sweetens the nose, with a spicy clove-like note to finish it off. Yeast breadiness pours through, giving a darker earthy balance to the sweet spiciness on top. Phenols and esters balance nicely with no trace of Noble hops in the background.

T/M/D - Bread-like yeastiness coats the palate with a slight lingering bitterness that balances out with a creamy smooth finish. With that said, the bitterness is solely there as a balancer and is to-style. Very medium-to-full-bodied on the palate, this beer presents a fruit cocktail array of banana and bubblegum that dries out to a yeasty earthiness. At 4.8% ABV, the quick finishing of the bottle lets you know you've had one, without making operation of a motor vehicle out of the question; a Session Beer for sure! With that said, I think I'll forgo driving today and sit out under the rays of the sun, while I listen to the birds, the breeze and enjoy a few more of Gods creation!

C - The beer (brewed on the 156th day of 2009 [29 May 2009]) is cold, but not stingingly-so and provides a very refreshing element that only a warm breeze on the side of a Bavarian mountain could add to. When thinking back to the days in the Biergärten (plural for beer gardens in German!) and the beers once consumed, I can only say that Sierra Nevada has created an incredible beer that a tasting panel would be hard-pressed to find the Americanism in! Splendid job and possibly the best US-brewed Hefeweizen in existence!!!

Prost!

No shit, this beer is ridiculous.

It's as perfect a beer that I've seen on tap.

I could drink a LOT of this, and for once, wish I could.

The smell is to dream
The sight is to die
The feel is to swoon
The taste from on high
Barkeep take care
Pour her slow till she's dry

Truly a beautiful beer. On tap at HOOPS-N-HOPS in Simsbury, CT now.

Sierra Nevada has done well with their Hefeweizen. Anyone who has had real a German hefe knows that it's tough to get a comparable version in the States. Sierra Nevada got this one right, from the taste to the color to the cloudiness. For you hefe lovers out there, you can't miss with Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen.

4.98/5  rDev +22.7%

This was my first experience with what would become my love affair with Hefeweizen. An awesome example of the style & the best one made outside of Germany that I have had to date. Kudos to Sierra Nevada for the exceptional job they have done in creating it!

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

This beer is fantastic. It might be one of the best hefeweizens available & is definitely worth the price. The only down side is how difficult it is to find where I go to school in southern Illinois. The banana flavor is not too potent; rather is a slight hint. The beer is sweet of course, like most hefeweizens. I highly recommend this hefeweizen.

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Now this is a hefe! West-coast hoppy like I've come to expect from SN, and very intriguing.
A: Cloudy gold with just a lovely couple finger head. Nice lacing is left
S: Wheat, grass, hops, clove
T: Really clovey, classic hefe wheat taste, strong banana flavor, with a little hop bite
M: Truly perfect for an unfiltered brew. Intriguing, smooth and crisp all the way
O: Absolutely satisfied, borderline blown away by this. Might be a new favorite Sierra Nevada!

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a cloudy yellow hue.

Smell of bananas and cloves with a slight mix of aromatic hops and spice. I'm even getting bubblegum notes. Amazing beer aroma.

Soft and sweet on the palate without a sour aftertaste that some hefeweizens give. With this beer, you get a nice and subtle bitterness on the finish. What you get on the nose you also get on the palate.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and very well textured. So complex but doesn't go overboard. Medium to heavy bodied but in a very delicate manner.

Does Sierra Nevada ever make a bad beer? My answer would be no.

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured out of the bottle into a glass

A. This is an exceptional Hefe. A creamy straw yellow body topped by a white foamy head approximately one finger thick.

S. Yeast aroma balanced out by light malts and cloves, slightly fruity and spicy.

T. Good balance of flavors. A light malty grain body with some banana and clove flavors. I taste no hops but I'm sure there is some in there for bitterness.

M. Creamy and silky body with very minor hints of carbonation probably due to the small bubble size.

D. Very good and refreshing beer. Smooth and clean

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

A: Beautiful semi hazy deep gold with a dense but at the same time fluffy looking 1.5 finger white head. Some sediment on the bottom.

S: Bubble-gum initially that transitions into banana to wheat to cloves, and back to banana.

T: Your taste buds travel down the same transitions as your nose, but with a wonderful vanilla constant. The malt is pronounced, with spicy undertones that dissipates and returns to wheat. My only complaint is not enough acid/lemon flavor to balance the sweet banana/vanilla/bubble-gum.

M: It's creamy and the vanilla leaves a swirling warming affect. Upping the carbonation would probably cut down on this almost "warm" feeling but I don't think I would want that.

D: doesn't leave you quenched due to the creaminess and light carbonation, but I could easily spend a whole day drinking this.

Thanks Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. for this wonderful offering.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

I LOVE this beer. I've always been a fan of Hefeweizens, and this one is now by far my favorite.

A- Poured as recommended into a hefe glass. Smooth pour with a bit of an orange tint. A small head left a nice lacing on the glass.

S- Wheat, apricot, and a general fruitiness. Subtle, but pleasant.

T- Wow! I cannot express how much I like the taste of this beer. Starts off with a banana and apricot frutiness, and continues into a slightly bitterer taste, which is well balanced. Finish is incredibly smooth and leaves a pleasant fruity taste in your mouth.

M- Light, not that carbonated. Finishes incredibly smoothly.

O- I loved it!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Finally, i get to try this beer. My local beer shop didn't have it so i biked from St. Armands Key to Whole foods in Sarasota only to find this pretty eyeing me in the mix and match 6 pack section. Let's break it down.

A- Beautiful...really.

S- I almost didn't want to drink it because the smell would go away. I love the smell of a good hefe.

T- It was like i dreamed honestly. It's a lot like franz but a little better because of all the banana and spice. I'm a man of all kinds of spices, but this was the perfect amount.

M- Delightful. A tinge of a burn, but so sweet.

O- Best hefe i've had. I've had most of them too, but this one just stands out in my book. Don't listen to the naysayers! This is a damn good beer!

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Excellent hefe. 35 cl bottle found in off licence in Naas Co. Kildare Ireland. Best before 20-03-2015. The banana comes through nicely. Sorry that I only got one to try. I love the label too.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

Im rating this beer compard to the German Hefes such as Paulener/Weihstephaner and every other American made hefe except Dancing Man wheat whic i have not had a chance to try.

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This here is a treat. Pours a murky blonde color while having bready/malty/banana scents. The taste is outstanding, crisp and sweet. This is definitely a sipping beer and just chugging this beer would be an insult and you wouldn't get the great flavors this American interpretation of a hefeweizen has to offer. This is definitely THE beer to drink as an access-way to the deep rabbit hole known as "craft-beer".

I drank this beer with my Munich-born Weihenstephaner-loving brother in law and all he could say was "Wunderbar".

4.87/5  rDev +20%

A: Cloudy, slight straw yellow, with thick white head

S: Slight smell of banana, citrus and cloves

Taste: Subtle bananna and clove flavors

M: Light body with creamy finish

D: Great Heff, I wish it was on draft. Really hard to find a True American Hefeweizen. This one does it, following the strict German Purity Laws!!!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Spent 3 years in Germany with the US Army, so think that I have a pretty good feel for German styles.
First sip, was unexpected experience. Wasn't sure what this was. A couple of sips in, I started to understand. Finished the glass, and I knew that this was something special, and a beer that I truly enjoyed.
I apologize that I don't have a fully developed "beer snob" vocabulary, but I'm working on it.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

After having a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I’ve been on a Hefeweizen craze. I’ve been picking up six packs of any beer that had the word Hefeweizen written on it. However, no other beer has come close until now. The Hefeweizen by Sierra Nevada is an amazing full flavored beer that gives Weihenstephaner a run for its money. The other reviews have done a good job at describing this beer so all I’m going to say is find a pack and enjoy! Make sure you get all the sediments at the bottom of the beer bottle when you pour it. I just opened up my first one and once I finish it I think I’m going to head back to the store I found it at and pick up another six pack before I get to intoxicated to drive.

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The banana bread flavor was a bit more than a hint, yet fit perfectly with style and tradition of a Bavarian-style Hefeweizen. Crisp, bright and refreshing as a wheat beer should be. Cloudy and dark gold with fast rising bubbles. The scent threw me off because it was more clove than I really expected. Overall, the best Hefeweizen I've ever pleased my palate with.

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a bottle into a Bristol's Edge City Series Imperial Pint Glass. I was quite careful to swirl up the yeast in the bottom of the bottle at the end of the pour.

A: Hazy golden yellow. Rock white head, recedes but more or less hang around for the entire beer and leaves excellent lacing.

S: Ripe banana up front. Some nice wheatiness and light clove.

T: Great maltiness, and the yeast profile is great. Very well done. Banana dominates, clove is in the background. Well balanced but banana forward.

M: Very solid, full body, smooth drinking. Carbonation is dead on.

D: Super drinkable. Probably the best-made available in the US (not to say others made in Germany aren't potentially better, but I do feel they suffer from their journey over here).

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Got this for 1.99 at my local Beer Nutz! Score!

A - Pours a nice Hazy orange Heffe color with white straw head. Looks pretty standard.

S - Clove is strong and malt produces mild banana smell with wheat backbone. Very nice.

T - The taste is spot on. Overwhelming taste of clove and banana surrounded by a wheat backbone with not bitterness to speak of. Solid brew.

M - Light of course and refreshing

D - I have always been a fan of Spaten's Heffe and I believe this one has just topped my expectations of that probably since it's American and it's more readily available. Would be drinking again.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

My favorite Heffe so far. My wife's second favorite only to New Belgium's Mothership.

The thing that is outstanding about this Heffe is how well balanced it is. It has the perfect balance between the clove/spice, banana, and bubblegum tendencies of the beligian yeast both in the aroma and taste. Add a touch of citrus, lemon and orange, a good grainy wheat base and a light, refreshing, clean body with just a touch of creaminess. It pours a nice creamy head with great retention and beautiful lace. A very nice, refreshing summertime drink. Fruity with spice, crisp and clean. Awesome.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.