Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Ratings: 4,027 |  Reviews: 1,376
1.64/5  rDev -59.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

I had been looking forward to trying this for a year or so and was disappointed. I am a huge fan of Weihenstephaner, Hofbrau, Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr and other authentic German beers.

This Kellerweis - airy but with a strong blast of American tasting, piney hops mixes with a bit of Grapefruit. Not even close, sorry. If you drink authentic Hefeweizen often you would know exactly what I mean on the first tiny sip.

1.73/5  rDev -57.4%

Appearance: Cloudy medium yellow/orange with a decent white head. Good lacing.

Smell: Yeasty with a touch of that spice I hate but can't think of its name. It smells like cloves

Taste: It's got that yucky clove spice. I think it's called coriander.

Mouthfeel: Water

Drinkability: Bad. It has that yucky clove tasting spice that ruins the beer. It's in almost all wheat beers and it's normal to have that spice but I hate it.

Because the beer has that awful clove tasting spice, it really sux.

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

12 ounce pour into a shaker pint. bottle from a mixed season twelve pack - Summer Pack. This is a musty, wheaty beer and I did not enjoy it, but I don't like this style.

1.86/5  rDev -54.2%

What is this? No aroma. Barely any flavor. Why this got such high scores I have no idea. Never again.

1.91/5  rDev -53%

I love a good hefeweizen. This was an uninspiring attempt at best. All the classic hallmarks are there but barely noticeable. Banana and clove barely perceived , soft velvety creamy head missing entirely. You can only tell this is a hefeweizen by comparing it pale ales. What a disappointment.

Hefe is not my style of beer.

2.02/5  rDev -50.2%

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

2.22/5  rDev -45.3%

From the nearby town of Chico, this beer promised to be an exploration of excellent German-style wheat beer. The problem is, Sierra Nevada has done quite well with the Crustal Wheat and Old Chico beers, so this venture into Hefeweizen is an interesting choice.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go by memory on this one, as I am unwilling to try it for a fourth time.

First off, the smell: A warning of what's to come. The scent of rotten bananas and clove cigarettes pours from the opening of this bottle from the first twist. Not discouraging enough, of course, but it's still a good sign of an unusual beer. I love odd flavors in beer, generally. An apple flavor here or a lemon zest there, never something to avoid outright. The problem is this beer simply reeks of bad produce.

Next up, the taste, which is the most important to me, especially with Sierra Nevada brews. Frankly, all I could taste was fizzy rotten bananas and cloves. I may be a bit biased, as I like neither of these, but I feel they could have been made more subtle. Instead, it's a chemically taste followed by the uncomfortable reminder of bananas. This would be fine, but this combination doesn't feel complimentary at all. It's a bit sweet and the rush of hops pours in to ruin any synergy between the unusual flavors.

The mouthfeel is hard to dismiss. Again, that chemical taste bleeds into feeling, as the beer tends to almost feel like rubber, drying your mouth out. It is wonderfully fizzy though, and the feel while drinking it is enjoyable. It's just that the beer seems to like sticking around and keeping that clove taste stuck to your tongue.

It's a pretty standard microbrew in terms of color and head. It's plenty fizzy and looks great in a glass. I just can't personally stand the taste. Had I more closely read the bottle I would have avoided it the first time, but I hadn't expected a heffeweizen to be so odd-tasting.

Overall, not something I'd recommend to people who enjoy a nice solid wheat beer. Sierra Nevada offers two different types of wheat, one filtered, one unfiltered, which would easily satisfy that desire. If you enjoy bananas and clove cigarettes, this is definitely a great beer for you. It may be worth a try if you just want something fairly unique, but the flavors just don't seem to blend with the beer taste very well to me.

If you're looking for a good American wheat beer, absolutely pick up a pack of Sierra Nevada's Crystal Wheat or Old Chico. I simply cannot recommend this though.

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

Thought maybe it was a Keller style with a weiss mix or something. I was hoping to experience something original and different. The pour was promising. A small bit of sediment which is always nice esp for a hefe. Nice foam and body appearance for a genuine hefeweizen. Nose was not as promising. I smell a hurried produced beer with various smells that seem disconnected from each other. As if they were concocted. The taste was a let down primarily imo because it is similar to other American failed attempts at genuine German beer styles that I have personally drank since the age of 21. The mouth feel was lacking natural carbonation and lacking proper yeast flavor. Certainly some banana, wheat and spices, but not in a natural, carefully produced way. SN always produces a great pale but not hefeweizen and with a misleading name as Keller.

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.