Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Reviews: 1,370 | Ratings: 3,988
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a nice light golden color, minimal head. Smells delicous, can detect banana like most other Hefeweizens. Slight Clove smell and other spices. Real easy on the palate, no bitterness, great taste. Sweet on the taste buts. Overall a solid beer. Not my favorite Hefeweizen, but one I'd def try again if available.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH Snifter...one of my first reviews of 2011 and my 51st review....

A-Classic Hefeweizen, cloudy orangeish with minimal heading and a bit of lacing

S-peppery, clove, banana and some bread

T-very consistent with the smell, good level of carbonation, very fruity

D-high, the carbonation and low ABV make this one a chugger....

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen yesterday for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. As far as wheat beers go the only one I have been drinking lately is Oberon, so I thought I would switch it up a bit and go for a Hefeweizen that I have been meaning to try for a long time. No visible freshness date. Poured from a short 12oz brown bottle into a weizen glass.

A- The label on this beer is pretty plain and it is the typical mountain scenery just with a golden yellow background. It poured a hazy pale golden yellow color with a big four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed for a while then disappeared and it left some spotty lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up is a large bread and biscuit like aroma from the malts. Then I pick up that signature banana aroma I have come to expect from this style, there is usually some clove accompanying it but on this brew the cloves have been replaced with a large amount of lemon zest that makes for a somewhat unique aroma. The yeast adds some nice fruit esters and I can only smell a slight amount of grassy and earthy hops. This beer smells like a mix between a Hefeweizen and an American Pale Wheat Ale.

T- The taste follows the nose nicely and is pretty similar. I get a lot of those bready flavors from the malts that have just the right amount of sweetness to them. Just like in the aroma the bananas are the most prominent flavor and they are followed by that signature clove spice that I was afraid it wasn't going to come through but somehow it skipped the aroma but showed up in the flavor. The fruity esters from the yeast are nice and I feel like that the lemon zest sticks out the most. There was a very slight sour and bitter aftertaste that was very subdued but worked nicely with this brew.

M- Smooth, crisp, medium light bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good Hefeweizen. This beer doesn't seem like a true Hefeweizen to me, it is more like a hybrid of that and an American Pale Wheat ale, it had the banana and clove flavors from a Hefeweizen and the citrus and mouthfeel of a American Pale Wheat Ale. I liked the combination of the two styles and I won't deduct any points for it. I thought the flavors could have stuck out a little more but to me the best thing about this beer was it's drinkability, it went down really smooth and it really hit the spot after playing 18 holes of disc golf on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, this beer makes for a great summer first quencher. Usually I go for Oberon on a day like this, but I felt the need to switch things up (since I have been drinking more then my fair share of Oberon) and I am glad I did. I could see buying a six pack of this for BBQing or playing disc golf but I really can't see it becoming one of my standbys. If your a fan of wheat beers give this one a try, it's a nice refreshing brew. I guess I need to go back to the store and see what other Sierra Nevada beers I have overlooked.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass Pours a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. A frothy white head of tiny bubbles sits and slowly reduces.

Has a yeasty, grainy smell of wet straw and grass, slightly herby, with a hint of lemon.

Has a lemony, grassy taste, slighlty herbaceous and woody, with a tang to finish. Somewhat crisp and clean, especially for a wheat beer.

Light bodied, with a slight creamy texture that does not take away from its crispness. The tang of the carbonation hits the back of the throat and tonsils on the way down.

I am not the biggest fan of wheat beers, but I could see downing a few of these on a hot summer day. Too bad, however, it is a cloudy, cold day!

reviewed from notes.

Slightly hazy, straw colored golden yellow. Head isn't huge and retention not great. Lace is minimal... but it is pretty much per style.

Slight hints of bananas and a toasted nuttiness mixed with spices.

tastes of bananas and sweet malts-- even a touch of bubblegum. Finish borders on being tart-- keeping it refreshing and tasty.

Light airy body is smooth and easy to drink.

Highly drinkable, easily enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen poured hazy pale yellow with a massive bubbly head that quickly disappeared.

A strong banana smell popped during the pour, but gave way to yeasty clove smell and taste. The feel is dominated by too much sparkle that had a negative impact on drinkability.

To be fair, I'm not a hefe lover; however, as hefes go, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen is on the mark.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Perfect Pint.

This one poured a straw amber color and built a nice, foamy head that last a few minutes. Not much lacing to this one either. Not much sediment in the bottle or glass and relatively clear.

Smells strongly of lemony spices and is reminiscent of some Belgian Pale Ales actually. Pleasant and inviting nose, this bouquet just invites me to drink.

I take my first sip and... I am completely floored. Kellerweis tastes much, much better than I anticipated. Very tasty and refreshing. Light yeast, bananas, cloves, and lemon are the predominant flavors. A light-bodied beer that is a far cry but welcome change from my past few beers which have been high alcohol brews.

Unfortunately, as it warmed up, it lost some of the initial appeal, but it still tastes fantastic, especially for the price I paid.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle

golden in color, bone white head. smells of wheat, but doesn't have the strong typical hefeweizen yeast flavors, which to me to good. same with the taste. cleaner, mild. easy drinking.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

great new beer to the lineup.

appearance: cloudy maddness of yeast

smell: clove, spicey

taste: banana and havey yeast bred flavors

mouthfeel: thick as hell, almost to think to drink multiples

drinkability: not easy drinks very heavy but overall tatse is incredible. and I have wheat beers. well done but not a session

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Fairly cloudy, grainy, very carbonated, big bubbles. OK, not great actually. I usually prefer these a bit paler and the bubbles tiny from the fermenting yeast.

S - Familiar banana, clove, crisp wheat, sweet malt, maybe a bit of a papery dimension to it though. Not sure of the date on this.

T - It starts off sweet on the tongue, which quickly gives way to a peppery, yeasty flavor. Rich banana and cloves. Good, fairly refreshing. The malt is just a tad cloying, which should not be typical of this style.

M - Fairly dry, carbonated, medium light mouthfeel. The malt has a long finish.

O - I think this is a decent example of the style, not world class in my opinion but still quite good. It's possible this is a bit oxidized.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

A – The colour of this beer is pretty much right on point; tawny-orange mixes with golden-yellow accompanied by billowing head.

S – Classic hefeweizen scents; freshly baked bread, popcorn, banana, a little yeast but little spice.

T – It definitely has the cleanness of flavour which one looks for. The popcorn reappears, accompanied by some sweet bread and banana. Not quite hitting the yeastiness or spiciness which characterises the very finest of this style.

M – Pretty much spot on. Crisp, well-balanced. Refreshing and quaffable. Perhaps slightly underweight.

O – The best American attempt at a hefeweizen I’ve encountered so far. Nevertheless, while good it’s not quite there. Part of me wonders whether my palate has changed of late, such that I’m really looking for a dunkelweizen to provide that maltier, yeastier, spicier experience. I’ll look forward to tasting this blind against Weihenstephaner and Schneider tap 7 in the coming months. A great-value summer staple nonetheless.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer came highly recommended so I decided to try it. I am generally not a big fan of hefeweizen but I love beer so here goes.

I opted for my Fin Du Monde tulip as a a receptacle for the 12oz bottle. I followed the directions on the bottle and swirled the yeast into the beer as I poured it making for a hazy yellow beer with a bone-white head.

Banana and wheat make up the nose. Not a lot of complexity but it is clean and not overly sweet or yeasty.

The taste is tart and slightly sweet with a tangy aftertaste. There is not much in the way of hoppy character but that is to be expected.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp with strong carbonation.

This beer is quite refreshing and tasty. I have finally found a wheat beer that doesn't make me unhappy I spent money on it.

Slainte.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Surprised at the color l and cloudiness of this beer. Nice orange color when poured into a tulip glass. Could not see through the beer, dense appearance. Liked the flavor very much. On the first sip it seemed coriander was leading the charge, but that changed quickly to a fruit/syrup taste on the front and a clove on the finish that was no overpowering. Very good stuff. Would revisit.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale, cloudy yellow from the bottle with a slight, creamy head that dissipates quickly. A whole lot of banana in the nose with a bit of alcohol warmth. The taste is strong with citrus, wheat, and yeast, with lots of banana in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very light.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours honey color with 1/2 finger of a quickly dissipating head. Unfiltered appearance.

Aroma is of clove, banana, nutmeg, and mace.

Taste is not bad, but really, it's just middle of the road at best. A little thick in feel, yet a bit watery or lacking any burst of true flavor. Then again the abv is pretty low. Some clove spiciness and a bit of banana are present. Nice amount of yeast character as well. Little bit of wheat.

Overall, I wouldn't buy again. I'm just alright on this style anyway. I see it pairing well with a warm, spice-forward dessert. Maybe freshly baked ginger bread. It gets a 77/100.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good. It's not Live Oak, but it's a great alternative for someone who lives in an area that doesn't have much distribution, Sierra Nevada is everywhere.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

served in a heffewizen glass and mixed with yeast during the pour. hazy and straw like color with large foam head of at least 2 in.

smells of bread and bananas with malt and maybe a slight citrus hop note towards the end.

mmmm.... malt and yeast flavor dominates. very smooth that has a touch of crisp at the end.

meduim body with good carbonation

great heffe i thought.... this is one of those must try beers!!!

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

A-Looks the part...glowing golden color...nice frothy white head..

S-More wheatiness than easters...mild bubble gum and cloves...aroma is weakest part of this beer..also detect a sublte rotten egg smell but it is very light

T-Nice flavors...not great...bubble gum..cloves...a little vanilla and banana...some lemons as well...everything is balanced and never prominent by itself.

M-Perfect weightiness...not too big to drink a couple thirteen fourteen but also not so light it feels like Mich Ultra....exactly how a hefe should feel...creamy texture..

D-This is the third time I have had this...the first time was in a 3hefe blind taster and I had this third behind Dancing Man and Schells....thought it was good but not as good as those....the second time I had it was the next night by itself followed by Schells and I thought this was much better....today I am kind of in between...it's good...I don't know that it is great...I will drink again and possible change this review when I have a cleaner palate if it is necessary..I love the fact a quality brewery is doing a nice hefe...I just don't think it is top of the class like some do

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Cloudy orange, just like any typically good hefe. Pours a rather small two finger head that is sort of creamy, though not as creamy as some of the German-made hefes. The head quickly reduces to a single finger. Lacing and head retention are poor for a hefeweizen. the head soon dissipates to a pitiful cap.

S: Quite a bit of clove and spicy from the German hops, malt is pretty strong as well. Banana and fruit like esters aren't as strong as some hefes, but are definitely prevalent and the banana is rather aromatic. There is a bit of a sweet and sour overtone to the aroma, as well as some biscuity goodness.

T: This is surprisingly a banana-dominate hefe, considering the spicy aroma. As you drink it, the spiciness comes out and balances the banana somewhat. The finish is surprisingly long, and the after-taste holds onto the banana esters (I dislike this attribute). There is a bit of tannin-like astringency in this one that I don't get in some of the best hefes (Weihenstephan, Schneider Original). This one is on the sweet side (like Hacker-Pschorr) and isn't balanced very well by hop bitterness. Bubblegum is a bit too strong and masks the flavors of the malts while exacerbating their sweetness. Absolutely nothing in the taste of this beer sticks out, this is your typical basic hefeweizen.

M: One of the creamiest wheat beers I've ever had. Medium bodied from the suspended yeast; not thick enough to reduce the refreshing aspect of a hefeweizen. Excellent carbonation.

D: Pretty refreshing, so the drinkability is pretty high. This one is a bit sweet and heavy to be perfectly drinkable.

O: German wheat beers require a giant billowing head that sticks around in my book, this one fails to accomplish this. Otherwise, this is a good incarnation of the hefeweizen from an American brewer, but one I do not care to drink again. Absolutely nothing interesting is going on in this beer that isn't done better by other hefes, extremely boring overall.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a murky golden with a nice lasting white head. Aroma of banana sweet spices. Taste is same as aroma. Palate is light body, nice carbonation. Finish is banana, some yeast with sweet spices. Overall a nice crisp and refreshing brew, easy drinking. Nice brew.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

This did not have enough "Weisen" character for me to be considered a classic Hefeweizen. It's almost a combination of a lager and heff. That said, it was very good. Maltiness was a good combination with the hefe flavor and it tasted a little stronger than the abv suggest. Worth trying if you see it.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Golden yellow with two finger head using recommended pour. Straw, clove, and bubblegum dominate the smell and the taste. This is subtle yet complex for what it is, a very refined and tasty classic hefeweizen taste. Medium bodied with soft carbonation, drinkability gets a deduction from me simply because it is not a style that I go crazy for. Very solid beer though.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a nice straw yellow with a two-finger white head. Good amount of lacing.

S - Very bready with cloves and banana present.

T - Like the nose with lots of bread. Some banana sweetness and clove follow the bread. There is also a nice lemony citrus in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation. A little heavy for a hefeweizen.

O - Decent hefeweizen. Nothing stands out. Very easy drinking and pleasant.

Sampled on 8-17-09
Bottled on day 189 of 2009.

Pours about as cloudy as it gets, with a great pale dark yellow color. A filmy head leaves thin but pleasant lacing.

Smell is all wheat, very fruity with just a hint of banana. Enjoyable, but with a bit too much beery edge.

Taste is alot like the smell, good, but nowhere near as complex as some of the better hefes. The finish is light, and not too bready. Like a pale wheat ale without the hops.

Mouthfeel is good, spot-on for the style.

Drinkability is also good, very light with well managed sweetness.

Overall, a good beer, but not as good as I was expecting.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz bottle. Code on label easily determines bottling date. Review from notes.

Hazy light straw, creamy white head soon rings out. Smell is grainy, with some sweet, citrusy overtones. Taste is banana, with a bitter, citrusy finish. Fair amount of carbonation. Pretty good for a domestic Hefeweizen. Drinks well.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.