Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Reviews: 1,370 | Ratings: 3,980
4.9/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Excellent hefe. 35 cl bottle found in off licence in Naas Co. Kildare Ireland. Best before 20-03-2015. The banana comes through nicely. Sorry that I only got one to try. I love the label too.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

Im rating this beer compard to the German Hefes such as Paulener/Weihstephaner and every other American made hefe except Dancing Man wheat whic i have not had a chance to try.

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This here is a treat. Pours a murky blonde color while having bready/malty/banana scents. The taste is outstanding, crisp and sweet. This is definitely a sipping beer and just chugging this beer would be an insult and you wouldn't get the great flavors this American interpretation of a hefeweizen has to offer. This is definitely THE beer to drink as an access-way to the deep rabbit hole known as "craft-beer".

I drank this beer with my Munich-born Weihenstephaner-loving brother in law and all he could say was "Wunderbar".

4.87/5  rDev +20%

A: Cloudy, slight straw yellow, with thick white head

S: Slight smell of banana, citrus and cloves

Taste: Subtle bananna and clove flavors

M: Light body with creamy finish

D: Great Heff, I wish it was on draft. Really hard to find a True American Hefeweizen. This one does it, following the strict German Purity Laws!!!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Spent 3 years in Germany with the US Army, so think that I have a pretty good feel for German styles.
First sip, was unexpected experience. Wasn't sure what this was. A couple of sips in, I started to understand. Finished the glass, and I knew that this was something special, and a beer that I truly enjoyed.
I apologize that I don't have a fully developed "beer snob" vocabulary, but I'm working on it.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

After having a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I’ve been on a Hefeweizen craze. I’ve been picking up six packs of any beer that had the word Hefeweizen written on it. However, no other beer has come close until now. The Hefeweizen by Sierra Nevada is an amazing full flavored beer that gives Weihenstephaner a run for its money. The other reviews have done a good job at describing this beer so all I’m going to say is find a pack and enjoy! Make sure you get all the sediments at the bottom of the beer bottle when you pour it. I just opened up my first one and once I finish it I think I’m going to head back to the store I found it at and pick up another six pack before I get to intoxicated to drive.

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The banana bread flavor was a bit more than a hint, yet fit perfectly with style and tradition of a Bavarian-style Hefeweizen. Crisp, bright and refreshing as a wheat beer should be. Cloudy and dark gold with fast rising bubbles. The scent threw me off because it was more clove than I really expected. Overall, the best Hefeweizen I've ever pleased my palate with.

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a bottle into a Bristol's Edge City Series Imperial Pint Glass. I was quite careful to swirl up the yeast in the bottom of the bottle at the end of the pour.

A: Hazy golden yellow. Rock white head, recedes but more or less hang around for the entire beer and leaves excellent lacing.

S: Ripe banana up front. Some nice wheatiness and light clove.

T: Great maltiness, and the yeast profile is great. Very well done. Banana dominates, clove is in the background. Well balanced but banana forward.

M: Very solid, full body, smooth drinking. Carbonation is dead on.

D: Super drinkable. Probably the best-made available in the US (not to say others made in Germany aren't potentially better, but I do feel they suffer from their journey over here).

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Got this for 1.99 at my local Beer Nutz! Score!

A - Pours a nice Hazy orange Heffe color with white straw head. Looks pretty standard.

S - Clove is strong and malt produces mild banana smell with wheat backbone. Very nice.

T - The taste is spot on. Overwhelming taste of clove and banana surrounded by a wheat backbone with not bitterness to speak of. Solid brew.

M - Light of course and refreshing

D - I have always been a fan of Spaten's Heffe and I believe this one has just topped my expectations of that probably since it's American and it's more readily available. Would be drinking again.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

My favorite Heffe so far. My wife's second favorite only to New Belgium's Mothership.

The thing that is outstanding about this Heffe is how well balanced it is. It has the perfect balance between the clove/spice, banana, and bubblegum tendencies of the beligian yeast both in the aroma and taste. Add a touch of citrus, lemon and orange, a good grainy wheat base and a light, refreshing, clean body with just a touch of creaminess. It pours a nice creamy head with great retention and beautiful lace. A very nice, refreshing summertime drink. Fruity with spice, crisp and clean. Awesome.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Bottle to SA wheat glass.
Poured as directed on label. Huge head of a wonderful bone color with medium sized bubbles.
The beer looks great- cloudy and a school bus color of orange and gold. Not much lacing.
The nose gives me cloves, banana and spice.

There is a nice dryness on the back of my tongue. Great balance of spice and fruit tones. Lemon would ruin this great beer in my opinion so don't add one. The beer feels full in the mouth as the flavors coat the tongue. A little sticky as it warms, but why wait for that to happen as it drinks easy and you should be ready for the next one.

This is now my favorite hefeweizen and maybe my favorite beer for a warm/summer day. I only bought two this time, but put me down for a sixer on the next trip to the beer store. I enjoyed it so much I poured another and took a pic which is now my phone wallpaper. Now everytime I answer the phone my mouth waters. Go try this one, I think you will enjoy it.

4.81/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

If you enjoy hefeweizen beers, this is your beer! Has traces of fruit that are very subtle and mixes well with the spices of other flavors. The mouthfeel has a lighter creaminess to it, without being to heavy. Finding this beer only recently I must say that it is one of my top choices as far as hefeweizen beers go!

4.81/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For the price, this is one of the best American made Hefes out there. If you want to see something really interesting, look up some videos on the open fermentation tanks they use at Sierra Nevada. They go all out to make great beer, and the prices are reasonable. I'm a big fan.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with originally two fingers of fluffy foam due to shaking up the yeast before pouring the rest into the glass. Head settles to half a finger. Good looking Hefeweizen.

Smell: Pleasant aroma of banana, clove and other spices, and a slight citrus character. Very nice smelling beer.

Taste: Banana, bready malt, yeast, clove and spices hit at the end. Sierra Nevada nailed this one.

Mouthfeel: Not quite light bodied but not quite medium bodied. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability: I would put this as the new standard for gateway craft beers, ironically replacing SNPA (IMO). A very enjoyable session beer that won't offend too many palates. A steal of a deal for an $8 six pack, will be bringing this to cook outs this summer for sure.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

The best American Hefeweizen that I've ever had.
Big beautiful head sits on the cloudy light yellow beer that lets you you its going to have body.
The subtle banana esters give a hint of the flavor, but the grainy nose is the most powerful note.
The flavor is even more luscious than the aroma. Balanced and perfect. Reminds me of the great Hef's of Germany.
The lingering effect on the mouth is mayched only by the lingering lacing on the glass.
The best!

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Sierra Nevada brews horrible beer in my opinion and I can't stomach then one bit. If I'm offered a free pint of it, I turn it down. That's how much I hate them. Oh, I've tried to like them, believe me. I've sampled a lot of their beers but they all taste the same and I can't stand their hop profile.

BUT this one is amazing. I'm flabbergasted at how good it is. It's almost like some other brewery made it. Beautiful hefe cloudiness and color, fantastic malty banana sweetness with a hint of cloves. Amazing head retention with some lacing, stellar champagne like carbonation and a very small hop presence. Fantastic example of the style, hats off to you Sierra Nevada.

~Jonathan Passow

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Had out of a bottle, with instructions right on it about pouring 2/3, then swirling and pouring the rest. There's decent amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle that no amount of swirling could dislodge. Color is golden, opaque. Pours with a big frothy head that dissipates slowly.

S - Truly amazing smell. Bananas and cloves come at you from a mile away. Also yeasty and bready aromas. Barely detectable hop presence.

T - A touch of hop bitterness followed by bananas and cloves. Some resinous hop character.

M - Almost creamy. This is a super smooth, easy drinking beer. I could drink pint after pint of this.

O - This is an outstanding beer. The drinkability is what I really enjoy, along with the perfect balance of hops, yeast, aroma. I have to slow myself down to savor it.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

This is one of the best hefeweizens i have ever had. It pours a bright golden color, with thick off white head. Delicious full body. I recomend rolling it from side to side before opening the bottle to stir up some of the sediment, and pour it into a glass.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer poured a straw yellow, which went all hefe hazy when I did the traditional "Hefe Bottle Swirly" to get the yeast all stirred up to finish my pour. The head was 2 fingers massive, and white. It hung around a few minutes, just to say hello, then reduced down to a decent cap of foam that lingers throughout. A small bit of lacing is noted. This is a very pretty beer. It demands that you look at it.
The aroma off the bat is wheat sweetness, and banana. I didn't pick up much in the way of a clove aroma that's so prevalent in other hefes. I also didn't notice anything in the way of hops. Are we sure this is from Sierra Nevada?
The taste is great. Really, really good. The sweetness of the wheat is right out the gate, and the banana notes compliment this very well. There is a slight bitterness present, just to counter the sweetness, but it doesn't linger or even cause a stir. It's just there to do it's job, and then slips out through a side entrance. The carbonation is constant and abundant, and it gives the beer a very full mouthfeel. I do notice a touch of clove in the finish.
Sierra Nevada have created a classic with Kellerweis. This beer is delicious. Kellerweis has become MY hefe. The drinkability on this is huge. This beer would be perfect for luring BMC drinkers into the light. Good job Sierra Nevada.

12oz. stubby

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a super-thick frothy, white head. Perfect nose of over-ripe banana peel, fresh baked honey-wheat bread and lemon zest. The brew is medium bodied with a fluffy texture with a little slickness. Great malt sweetness up front of fresh peaches and wheat, tons of bubble gum/clove notes from the yeast, finished crisp and refreshing with hints of citrus. This beer is absolutely delicious! It is my new favorite summer beer. I have drank at least a case by myself this summer. I guarantee that you will not find a better hefeweizen brewed in the United States.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So good. I have had just about every hefe out there and combo thereof. I bought this in a pinch because the store was out of Weistephaner but this was cloudier and has double the sediment of Weinstephaner. This is my go to now. So fucking good if you like this style.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

poured according to the bottle's instructions to get the most out of this beer.. including yeast. appears a cloudy golden w/ almost-white dense foam that fades a little too quick, but looks beautiful, and good lacing.

smell of nice yeast but not too spicy, mandarin oranges and a touch of lemon, banana in the background with some pale malt. some earthy hop notes.

taste is just exceptional.. my favorite hefe right now. an unassuming presence invading the senses with the perfect balance of citrusy-lemon, yeasty goodness, malt and hop. a bit of mandarin orange late and a touch of the yeasty-funk common to a saison crisping out the brew.

i would prefer a bit more body, but that's probably just my opinion. good for the style, easy drinking, crisp and nicely carbonated. can't think of a moment that would not be great for this beer. session to the extreme and with great character.

4.76/5  rDev +17.2%

12 oz. bottle hard-poured into a weizen glass. Here we go...

L - Very thick white foam dome, lasted a good bit. Golden yellow color with a few bubbles rising. Clear, semi-cloudy body

S - Citrus and floral, but the banana scent from the yeast comes through as well

T - Bananas, wheat, citrus taste. Not so much bite but very subtle and chill

F - Smooth and clean, easy to drink

O - Pretty solid hefeweizen from an American brewery. It really matches up with some of the German hefes' I have tried. So be a good American and drink this German-style American beer hahaha

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours an energetic cloudy straw with a rich white clingy, persistent foam cap. S: Yeasty, estery aromas with very distinct clove and banana and a hint of gum drop. T: A yeast driven beer with bready clove, banana, wheat and yeast flavors. F: Medium to a little above on the body and medium high carbonation. O: A very well made and easy to drink hefeweizen.

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This may be the best American Hefeweizen on the market. Very tasty with all the characteristics you expect from a good hefeweizen.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.