Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis HefeweizenSierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-12-2009

Reviews: 1,365 | Ratings: 3,963
4.75/5  rDev +17%

Appearance- bright orangish murky hue. Classic unfiltered hef. White soapy head holds up well if poured right. Brew that is as inviting seen across the room just as much if held in your hand.

Smell-strong clove, un ripened banana.

Taste- clove, banana, medicinal flavors, real nice Bavarian yeast flavor. Nice spiciness, a lot of banana flavors which you'd expect from the style, but the clove spiciness from the yeast strain is probably the most upfront in this beer.

Drinkability- go to on a hot day, refreshing, goes down smooth. Real nice body. I'm all about hefeweizens right now and this is by far my favorite american rendition of the style. Sierra Nevada rarely disappoints. The yeast strain the use totally is on point for the style. Way better this Widmer or Pyramid actually puts those two to sham!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For my money, this is by far such a superior wheat to what’s widely available. For that matter, it’s the only wheat I seek out. A cut above. In a class of its own.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Cloudy, almost opaque burnt orange with a foamy off-white head.

Spicy goodness. There's some banana, clove, some grains, and a touch of lemon.

Crisp citrus on the tongue with a good spicy wheat flavor and a touch of the banana.

Medium on the mouthfeel with a zesty carbonation.

I could drink these all night long. This has quickly become my second favorite hefeweizen behind Weihenstephaner, and even then its very close to that one. I recommend it to anyone any everyone who I talk to, and practically everyone who has then tried it loves it.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

In brief- this is the finest American Hefeweizen I've ever sampled.

Every summer it seems like half of America's craft breweries trot out a half-cocked Hefe and half of them some ridiculous "WitBier". Leave it to Sierra to show everyone how it's supposed to be done. The beer pours a flaxxen gold, bright and cloudy somewhere in the color spectrum between a Weihenstephaner and a Schneider-Weisse. A typically billowing white head tops the beer after a careful pour into a 20 oz. Hefe tulip glass. All in all the beer is uniformly hazy and gives off a slight glow- pardon the cliche but this beer gives off the beauty of silver lining in a cloudy sky.

The nose is all German racecar Gestalt. Spicy herbal notes mingle with clove and just a hint of farmhouse funk. First whiff announces that this is the real deal, not an imposter American Wheat Beer wearing Hefe clothing.

Taste is exceptional. In classic Sierra fashion this beer pays homage to tradition while also pushing the style forward. There's no doubt it's a Hefeweizen, but somehow it's also American, slightly bigger, slightly bolder then its Germanic counterparts.

Mouthfeel is good, though I'd say this is the one category where the American looses something to the import competition, this beer is just a little more unruly and less refined than the best Bavaria has to offer.

Kellerweis is the lays potato chip of beer, I dare you to have just one. If you're looking for an American Wheat beer by all means try a Pyramid Hefeweizen, the best of that 'style'. But if you're after the best Hefeweizen brewed in America, by all means treat yourself to a Kellerbier.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

A : pours a golden color, lots of head, cloudy
S: clove, banana, grassy, little spice think it's the clove smell, wheat
T: banana, wheat, some spice believe its clove, bready,
M: refreshing, light, lots of carbonation
O: amazing beer, really one of those eye openers as to how different a beer can taste.
Ps I really want to do a Black and Tan mix with this

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer.. I love hefeweizens and this one takes the cake for me.
Beautiful aroma and flavor, banana is the star here.
but the mouthfeel was the best part, silky smooth and velvety. viscous and fulfilling, im won't forget the experience of this wonderful brew.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: cloudy pale amber with thin head that dissipates quickly

Smell: bananas, maybe banana bread (a sort of faint bready, spicy, banana smell)

Taste: banana, cloves, subtlest hint of bitterness at the end

Mouthfeel: carbonation with a smooth, neutral finish, maybe a tiny bit astringent

Overall, this is about 95 percent as good as my favorite (Weihenstephaner hefe) but significantly cheaper and far more readily available. I could drink this beer all day long without the slightest complaint. In my opinion, It's a better example of the style than a few of the german examples that I've had.

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

This is an amazing beer to sip on for the Summer months. It is an exceptional USA made Bavarian style Hefe.

A-Poured from a bottle into a pint glass the appearance is a light copper color filled with beautiful unfiltered wheat granules. There is a white bubbly head that does not last long however this is common for Hefes.

S-The smell is full of banana nodes along with a mild caramel wheat finish.

T-Wonderful taste of bananas, followed by a mellow citrus after taste, this after taste does not stick around long, so enjoy it while it is present.

M- the mouthfeel is one of a lighter beer not thick what-so-ever which gives it a great Summer beer vibe. The ending feel is smooth and velvety which make this Hefe extra special in my opinion.

O- this is an excellent Bavarian style Hefe which I will continue to enjoy with friends by a pool in the near months to come.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

After having been to Germany, I thought I'd never find a Hefeweizen in the States that compared to the stuff I drank there. Sierra Nevada actually proved me wrong, and proved that brewers in the United States CAN produce Hefeweissbier that is just as good as the German stuff.

A - Perfect. Not too transparent, the perfect golden color.

S - Just like a Hefeweizen should be. Bananas, cloves, just the smell of a perfect Hefe.

T - I swear... if you poured me this and a German Hefe in a blind taste test, I might predict this to be better. Amazing representation of the style, a perfect match for a summer day.

M - Creamy and delicious.

D - I could drink this all day. Phenomenal.

Really, this is the best representation of the style I've had in the United States. It may just be that I've been out of Deutschland for a while, but in my opinion - this is as good of a Hefeweizen as you're going to get... ESPECIALLY in the United States.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Oh, what would we do without quality wheat beer? This beer brings one over just with the aroma. The clove and banana gets the mouth watering from the word go. Next after inpecting the hazy, yet intrigueing chalky amber coloring, you get the real gift; the taste.
A little spice goes a long way to make this enjoyable but not overpowering. It is very light on the palate, and perfect for warm weather drinking. By a 6-er and head out to the porch!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this in a pint glass at around 45 degrees.

Appearance: Gorgeous yellow with a 2.5 finger head that stays and doesn't dissipate quickly.

Smell: It is definitely restrained although I get some banana and some creaminess.

Taste: This is where it shines. Some lemon, cream, banana, clove (although not very much), sourdough bread.

Mouthfeel: creamy, easy, superb carbonation, light.

Overall: I would highly recommend this beer as it is an excellent interpretation of this style and quite possibly my favorite hefe.

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Enjoyed in a pint glass. I'm prepared to like this after having Torpedo earlier this year.

A: Aggressive pour (with yeast rousal) yields 1.5 fingers of pillowy white head with great retention. Cloudy lemon gold liquid. Gorgeous.
S: Subdued clove spice, clean malt. Slight banana. Not very complex but pleasant.
T: Bright citrus draped over delightful sweet malt (not cloying) ends with a tart finish. Nice banana and clove emerges later. Wow! Full flavored, I daresay nearly as tasty as German examples.
M: Creamy and smooth. Light in body.
D: Perfect. I want more sips, more bottles, more sixers! Delectable and enticing. Upon subsequent trips to the liquor store, my eyes always seem to drift up to this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Yeast appropriately swirled and poured.

A: Wow! This beer starts out fine. As I swirl the yeast and pour the last 2/3rds of the bottle in, thick, creaminess pours out. Once in the glass, this hefe looks like a champ. Yellow-orange (close to orange juice) and beautifully cloudy. Awesome, billowy clouds sit on top. The head lasts forever and is lovely. The haze is spot on and lasts. I was out working in the yard and came back 45 min later to finish one of these and it still looked awesome.

S: Let this beer warm up before sniffing. I get a ton of cloves. Some citrus and a hint of sulfur. There is some banana, but not a ton. The citrus fruits seem more present. Very nice aromas, but nothing spectacular.

T: This beer tastes awesome! I first get a nice tartness which quickly leads into a lovely citrus flavor. Some orange and maybe a hint of lemon peel. This then goes to a lovely cloviness. The clove is spot on in this beer. Not, knock you over cloviness, but more balanced out with the other flavors. I do get some banana, but the citrus seems to override this, which is fine by me. The sulfur in the nose isn't there in the flavor, which is nice. Overall, the flavors meld together well making this an epic summer session beer. So much flavor in a beer that is <5% ABV. We need more of these.

M: Light to medium bodied. Strongly carbonated like it should be, but could use just a hint more for the style. Feels smooth on the tongue, but finishes crisp. Very nice.

D: This is an exceptional beer. It is a great gateway beer for anyone, while at the same time it has the complexities to make a beer geek happy. I even think a Bavarian would like this one. I'm so happy Sierra Nevada is expanding their horizons beyond the hoppy beers. I hope we continue to see great sessionable styles like this from them. If you haven't tried this yet, go get some now.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep straw color with a very prominent sediment cloud. Good to follow pouring instructions which suggest swirling after pouring two thirds to get all sediment. Nice lacing.

Tasted this after weisenheistephaner as a compare and would give this a slight nod in being a touch more creamy and substantial. Nice body and a slight more sweetness over a more hot finish. Otherwise very similar in many ways. Can't go wrong with either.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Looks golden, and a little cloudy.
Head: Very frothy, long lasting, like Roger Staubach.
S: Banana, citrus, not clove!
Mouth: thin, light, yet malty, epic balance.
Taste: Extraordinary-- bananas, citrus, no clove for you clove ban fans.

Overall-- if Weiss is your cup of beer, get you some.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: pours a very densely, clouded, golden color with one finger off-white head that dissipated until a thin broken layer of bubbles remained, there was very little lacing on the glass, lighter carbonation (I think?) as could not really see the bubbles through the dense haze, beautiful.

SMELL: sweet, flowery, citrus, banana bread and some spice, there is a lot going on with the nose on this one, in a word complex.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet and citrus, then some banana bread and spice, a mild hop profile as you would expect for this style, wonderful.

PALATE: lighter carbonation, the notes on bottle state "velvety texture", I'll go along with that, it has it's own mouth feel for sure.

OVERALL: this beer will be hard to top, this is my favorite Hefeweizen hands down, another great beer from Sierra Nevada, the ABV 4.8% allows me to enjoy more than one, if you enjoy the style this has to be a favorite. I'll be having this again for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a stubby 12 oz. bottle into a Widmer Bros. pint glass. The bottle gives instructions to pour 2/3 into the glass, swirl the bottle, then pour the remainder.

A: Pours a bright straw-yellow color with orange highlights, and if you follow the bottle's directions, it goes from clear to near-opaque as the suspended yeast enters the glass. A frothy white head sits atop this brew for a few minutes, and lacing is minimal.

S: The aroma is very inviting but complex--a mix of spicy hops, bananas, and bubblegum.

T: This isn't your run-of-the-mill wheat beer. Sierra Nevada has done a great job of capturing the traditional hefeweizen flavor profile. The most noticeable flavor comes from the yeast-again, bananas and bubblegum stand out. I also get a fair amount of wheat at the end. It's pretty complex, but very enjoyable.

M: Closing in on medium body, this beer still goes down smooth. It's fairly dry and gets a fair amount of bite from the carbonation.

D: This is one of my favorite beers at the moment, especially for its drinkability. It comes pretty close to matching the greats like Weihenstephaner, and it gets extra points for its easy availability.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. Had a bottling code that had to use a cheat sheet to decipher - why can't people just use plain dating. It was a cloudy golden yellow color. Plenty of carb streams and plenty of sticky white lace. It had a large white especially after swirling the bottle to stir the yeast up. It slowly settled to a 1/8" constant foam.

The aroma was amazing. Wheat, ripe banana, clove and some other spices. Near perfection and a joy to sniff over and over. The taste followed the aroma and again near perfection. This may be one of the best American hefe's that I've had and easily the best that I can get bottled regularly. Exceeds most imported German hefe's which I find suffer greatly in transportation.

Overall, a new classic hefe. It is extremely flavorful, thirst quenching and easily available = home run for me. Most highly recommend. Will be in heavy rotation.

[heavy;classic]

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I should start this out by saying that I am both a huge Sierra Nevada fan as well as a hefeweissen fan and they nailed it. The beer is yellow and cloudy, the kind of permanent starch haze you'd expect from a beer like this. The head is white and big, it falls away quick but a thin layer of white bubble forms over the beer for most of it's life. Carbonation is moderate and steady, medium sized bubbles and there is some lacing on the glass.
Aroma is filled with wheat, some banana character, no hop character in the aroma. Invites you to drink. Carbonation is present in the mouth, makes the beer feel fuller than it normally would seem, the flavor is great, some of the etherial fruit flavors you may expect, banana, almost no aftertaste, a slight wheat-like flavor in the back, the bubbles fill the midpalate with good body and a connection of flavors. This beer is very drinkable, I could kill a 6 pack in no time. One of my favorite beers currently.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

A: I don't know what to compare it to. It is about the most transparent shade of yellow I have ever seen. I can see the bubbles everywhere. Don't think I poured hard enough (I am a Hefeweizen virgin) so no head. The bubbles are mesmerizing.

S: Heavy on the banana with the clove following up in the rear. I have had a Tripel before and seems like a less aggressive version of that. Oh yeah! This is pleasant.

T: A little spicy tartness upfront that quickly fades away into the banana/bubblegum. It is like a two toned beer.

M: Not too heavy and not too light. Carbonation played down really well.

D: What can I say? I can drink this easier than water. And it is sessionable. This is the easiest drinking fluid I ever put in my mouth.

This is a really interesting style to give to your non craft drinkers. Hell, give them one and don't even tell them it is beer. I doubt they would ever know. Went full on yeast 2/3 of the way. Heh. It looks kind of like a worm in there. Very cloudy. Not that much different. Just kind of funky.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

After traveling to Europe and tasting their Hefeweizen I have found nothing that compares here in America. Until my friend recommended this fine Hefe from Sierra Nevade Brewing Company. This beer has a full body of flavor, and is very easy to drink. Goes down very smooth and is not too heavy, one of the best Hefeweizens I have ever tasted, and the only Hefeweizen I have tasted in America that I would willingly purchase again!

Glass - Wheat Beer

A - Cloudy orange brew with moderate-high visible carbonation. It produced a 2-finger head that held nicely. A bit of splotches were left on my glass.

S - A fresh smelling, and well balanced blend of banana, orange, papaya and clove. Underneath the fresh fruity notes, I get soft wheat and mild graininess. A very inviting aroma.

T - Upfront I get lots of wheat and cracker like notes. As it rolls to the sides of my tongue I get a well balanced, fresh orange and banana fruit flavor. It finishes with mildly spicy fruit zests and clove. Bitterness is very mild but just enough to add balance.

M - Moderately crisp with a smooth and almost creamy feel to it. Medium-full bodied.

O - Wow, I'v seen this beer on the shelf for quite some time now, and I finally tried it, man is it damn good! I am so surprised by how balanced and flavorful this Hefeweizen is, it really reminds me of an authentic Hefeweizen from Germany. I love this brew, and can't wait to buy more. Cheers!

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle into tulip

Appearance - Pours a stunningly glowing, murky golden hue with 2 fingers of fluffy white head. Great retention and lacing, looks amazing!

Smell - Yeasty over-ripe banana and clove action dominates, but is balanced by a lemony snap, a note of fresh honey and clean grain adds to the nose also.

Taste - That beautiful hefe yeast is pushing the banana/clove, fruity/spicy goodness straight to the front where it needs to be, then starts giving way to a mildly sweet, honeyed cereal grain which is quickly kept in check by snappy a lemon note. Ghost-like herbal/grassy hops seem to add depth and balance along with the smallest tinge of bitterness in the dry finish.

Feel - Maybe the best part about the beer, which is saying a lot. Body feels so light and airy due to the perfect level of tight carbonation, but also feels silky and creamy at the same time. Extremely refreshing.

Overall - Absolutely superb, Kellerweis rivals any German hefe I've had with ease. Thing is, being only 4.8% ABV, it's actually carved out its own little niche - so light feeling yet packed with so much flavor, this brew is maximally refreshing. As so many others, SN completely nailed this beer (and it's about $8 a sixer to boot!)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a pint glass with the recommended bottle swirl. I was rewarded with a perfectly cloudy hefeweizen. This hefe maintains balance despite having a lot of elements cranked up.

A: Cloudy and, as the label says, it "glows" with all the residual yeast. Head dissipated just a tad quickly but had some lace on the way down the glass.

S: Typical banana and cloves with some bottle-conditioning funkiness, which I like a lot.

T: The balance is what is so amazing about this beer. It manages to be both pungent and smooth. Has all the flavors that appear on the nose but with some added citrus and floral flavors. There's a lot going on.

M: It hits you with a pop and then smooths out for a nice long finish that ends dry.

D: Could drink this all day long and with the relatively low alcohol level I might not hate myself in the morning.

Just a really, really well-made hefeweizen. So many in this style are too heavy on the yeast and overwhelm you with the banana and clove or the citrus tones overwhelm everything else.

This one is just right, and then some.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden with a big, foamy head. Good retention and lacing.

S: This one throws off a huge smell from a few feet away. Bananas, cloves, mild phenols - it's all there.

T: A perfect blend of spice and banana. Full-flavored and true to style.

M: Light and crisp yet creamy. Moderate carbonation.

D: Nothing will ever beat Weihenstephaner, but without a doubt, the best American hefe yet. Undeniably worth picking up.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.