Sierra Nevada Estate Brewers Harvest Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Estate Brewers Harvest AleSierra Nevada Estate Brewers Harvest Ale
4.07/5
Exceptional

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Jmoore50 on 09-05-2009

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

A great looking beer, has that SNPA appearance of amber and copper, good 3/4" white head. Aroma is the usual C hops, not sure if any were used as finishing/aroma/dry hops, but it still gives off a familiar vibe.

Tastes good, just like SNPA but with more hops, less caramel ratio. The price is twice as expensive as other harvests though, hard to justify purchasing this when the others are just as good and half the price. Only if you like to pay for local stuff I guess can you justify it.

More gimmicky than most SN beers, even though it is pretty much the same as almost all their hoppy offerings.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Estate Homegrown Ale a couple days ago for $12.22 at Boyne Country Provisions. I bought this beer with the intention of reviewing this for my 700th review since it seemed to be the nicest bottle that store had that I haven't reviewed before. I knew this beer came out in September so I just assumed it was this years release and for some reason I didn't even look at the date on the back, then when I got home and went to put it in the fridge I noticed it was a 2012 vintage, I was a little pissed with myself and was prepared for the worst, then I looked online and found out that due to bad weather Sierra Nevada's crop got wiped out and a Black IPA would take the place of this beer. Lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml waxed bottle.into a snifter.

A- The label looks really nice, it's classy, detailed, and it was dipped in some thick green wax that made it a little hard to open. It poured a darker murky orange color that took on more of brighter orange and ruby color that was almost blood orange colored when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thick ring and left lots of rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice amount of hops upfront that impart some earthy, spicy and piney aromas, but it's the citrus hops that seem to stick out the most. Up next come some lightly toasted malts with some bready, grainy and biscuit like aromas followed by some fruity aromas that have a slight apricot and nectarine aroma to them. This beer had a really nice aroma that I couldn't stop smelling.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops up front imparting all the nice hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma with the tropical and citrus hops seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the nectarine and apricot flavors followed by some bready, grainy, and lightly toasted biscuit malt flavors that balance out the hops perfectly. On the finish there's a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a citrus hop, apricot and malty aftertaste. This was a really nice tasting beer that had all the aspects I liked from the aroma.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, clean, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it could have used just a little more carbonation.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of the style, it had everything that I look for in the style and the balance was just awesome. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, drinking a whole 750ml bottle to myself is no problem. I liked just about everything the most and I liked the slightly lower carbonation the least. I would for sure get this again even though it's a little pricey and I hope the weather turns out ok next year so I can try this beer fresh as it's intended. I would recommend this to just about anyone. All in all I'm pretty happy with this beer, it's got some nice juicy hops with just enough malts to back them up, what's not to like. I'm real impressed how well this beer held up with a year of age, I know Sierra Nevada can make some hoppy beers that stay hoppy for a while and this was one great example of that and I think some of that is due to the wax on the bottle, it was super thick and when i took the cap off the I could see residue towards the crown of the cap and it looked like it could have very easily went bad if it wasn't for the wax protecting it, I'm now sold on waxing beers. Good job guys, this is one kick ass beer and I hope to try it fresh next year, keep up the good work.

Sierra Nevada Estate Brewers Harvest Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.