Hoptimum | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

HoptimumHoptimum
4.18/5
Exceptional
HoptimumHoptimum

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Ratings: 6,368 |  Reviews: 1,498

1.03/5  rDev -75.4%

1.2/5  rDev -71.3%

1.36/5  rDev -67.5%

No no no no no. I do not like it at all.

1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

1.56/5  rDev -62.7%

Look: Pours an orange color with a one finger beige head. Leaves almost no lacing.

Aroma: Smells like cough syrup. Hot to the nose from the booze. Chalky, overtly sweet cherry aroma. Musky, almost like wet cardboard to a degree. Not what I'd call appetizing.

Taste: Artificial, waxy, medicinal cherry syrup and cheap, overbrewed bitter green tea. A very tiny hint of tropical grapefruit rind tries showcase itself for a moment but it is instantly overshadowed by the beers predominant, unbalanced alcohol/sugar profile.

Feel: As if it wasn't acrid to the palate by virtue of its taste alone - the flaws are further compounded by how hot and boozy the beer is. The texture is thick, sugary, syrupy and dry with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Way too sweet with absolutely no balance between the flavors. I'm not sure what they were going for here. SN claims this to be their "Hoppiest IPA yet" but yet the hops play second fiddle to the overt alcoholic, syrupy, malty nature of the beer.

1.69/5  rDev -59.6%

24 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks, jerk.

Damn, this was a disappointment; a borderline sloppy mess. Appearance is a filtered golden amber with a frothy whitish head that quickly fades to a thing crown with little lacing. Extremely mild, boring aroma of dirt and biscuity malt, with trace amounts of grapefruit and citrus rind hops. A solventy, medicinal tinge is troubling. Onto the flavor. Oof! It get's worse with no balance or cohesion between strong solvent and alcohol, bitter grapefruit rind, sweet carmel malt and dry breadiness. Body is thick and well carbonated, but extremely hot and boozy. After a few ounces I poured this out, so I give this a White Birch trademarked 1.0 on drinkability. I'm probably being overly harsh on this, but we tried this against some hoppy beers from Three Floyds, Shorts and Lawsons tonight and this was the uncontested failure champion. Sorry Sierra Nevada, I need a SN Pale Ale to get this out of my mind.

1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

1.76/5  rDev -57.9%

I was really disappointed in this beer. I like a hoppy beer and I'm a big fan of other SN beers lke Celebration Ale and Torpedo but this has absolutely no balance (I know, its supposed to be a hop bomb) and the varietals of hops they used completely missed for me. I drank about half the bottle and drain poured the rest. I know that other "hop heads" love this beer but it completely misses for me. I like other IPAs that are 100 IBU's so its not the degree of bitterness that offends me, I just think that it's either a poorly crafted beer or my taste buds just can't appreciate the flavors that other beer advocates seem to enjoy. I guess that's why we have these ratings in the first place.

1.76/5  rDev -57.9%

Very disappointed! I heard good things about this beer, seems to be flying off the shelves in my area. Not sure if I received a bad bottle but it has a bad smell to it, tasted off. Ill give it another try if I come across it but it wont be something i seek out.

1.89/5  rDev -54.8%

On draft at London Grille.

Pours a clear golden yellowish orange color with pale golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Earthy hop aroma with hints of pine as well as citrus and tropical fruit. There's also a prominent sweet alcohol aroma which takes away from the hops significantly and a nice biscuit/Graham cracker malt character. Subtle grapefruit and citrus peel but the nose is overpowered by an earthy/soil like and sweet alcohol presence.

Chewy body that's on the fuller end of the spectrum with a blast of earthy bitter hops up front that lingers throughout but fades toward the sweet, hot finish. Slick and oily feeling with a one dimensional hop profile. Very faint citrus/tropical fruit character and again, a way too powerful alcohol presence that kills the better qualities of this beer. Sweet pale malt backbone that lacks the graham cracker biscuit character that the aroma suggested. The ABV is well masked as far as heat is cncerned but there is a lot of alcohol flavor.

This beer is kind of a mess really. Not very hoppy, especially when the palate adjusts to the original earthy pine flavor. Half way through the glass it tastes like a mildly hoppy sweet phenolic failure. I'm a big fan of SN and I was really excited to try this one but it was a huge disappointment. I'm glad I didn't sprig for the bottles.

1.94/5  rDev -53.6%

@ Gula Gula, Salem MA

Beautiful, pristinely clear amber color. Thin head quickly collars and fades away. Nice lace up top though.

Floral, super sweet malt aroma. Tastes really sweet with very little hop flavor. Hops come through more as pine sap and a lingering bitter. I'd like more hop resin. And hop aroma. And hop flavor.

Didn't like it in the bottle and like it less on tap.

Hoptimum from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.18 out of 5 with 6,368 ratings