Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA
4.18/5
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

4.2

Ratings: 6,314 |  Reviews: 1,486

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

A-a clear orange with two fingers worth of white head

S-pale bready malts with a large citrus hop presence

T-still have a good amount of malt backbone, but with a huge amount of hops. Citrus and lemon and piney bitterness. Nice alcohol warming.

M-medium body, medium carbonation, piney bitter aftertaste

Overall a really hopped up beer, but still very drinkable and enjoyable

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter, rich orange amber with a short white head that dissipates leaving a little lacing, cloudy

S: very strong resinous hop smell, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, papaya, sweet fruity

T: angrily bitter hop assault up front, juicy fruit gum, grapefruit peel, pine resin, finish is mouth puckering dry

M: excellent feel for style, alcohol makes itself known

O: this is a punch you in the mouth hop bomb, not particularly balanced, SN went over the top cramming as much hop flavor as possible into the bottle without using extracts or oils

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this is a good Imperial IPA that I have had several times. Tonight I am reviewing a sample I got in a growler, purchased from Total Wine in Peoria Arizona. Overall I love Sierra Nevada, but Hoptimum, and I like to call it Hoptimonium, you know like Pandemonium, but it's not my favorite from Sierra Nevada and it's not my favorite double or imperial IPA, but still it's pretty good. overall a fresh bottle or can or Torpedo is better. the Hoptimonium just tastes a bit too boozy for me, I will probably buy and drink it again, but I would give it an A minus rating. very good, not great, not world class, Sierra can and does do better.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

This is pretty awesome ale.

I love the fruit flavors of the hops. It starts out with a serious grapefruit flavor but evolves through the 12 oz bottle to pineapple.

The high alcohol content is not manifest in the flavor. I sort of lament the high alcohol because that means I can drink less of this good beer before I become sleepy.

Personal opinion: this is the best beer Sierra Nevada makes.
Yes, I realize it is over-the-top, but that's where I am at this point.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.18 out of 5 with 6,314 ratings