Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA
Liked This Beer
4.18 w/ 6,313 ratings
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Liked:
4.18/5
Alströms:
4.2

Ratings: 6,313 |  Reviews: 1,486
4.03/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - poured a brilliantly clear deep copper. A nice off-white head sprang up and retained well, but there was little follow through and almost no lacing. Probably due to the alcohol.

S - wow, this has some serious hops going on. Both pine and citrus. I love the strong smell here and almost wish there were more.

T - yowzers! I was expecting a lot, but this is probably too much for me. It's full frontal hops from start to finish, so much so that I couldn't pick out particular flavors, although I did pick out some pineiness, and a strong alcohol kick to the finish.

M - soft and lush, just how a such a beer should feel. Even though I wasn't crazy about the flavor I found myself swishing the beer around in my mouth a lot.

O - this is a dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde beer. It attempts to push all limits and does so successfully in some cases, while going too far in others. I'm glad I tried it, but ultimately there is too much alcohol, and sadly too say, too much hops for me.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this bottle of Hoptimum into a snifter at cellar temperature.

A one-finger barely -off-white head crowns a slightly hazy, radiant, dark golden-orange body. I can see just a few little bits of sediment.

This beer is all about a three-pronged attack which begins with a strong aroma of honey, orange, and hops. Simple, but so good.

The battle plan doesn't change when it hits the tongue. Keeping in harmony with the smell, the taste has some honey sweetness at first, followed by some zesty orange, and completed by a potent explosion of juicy, spicy, bitter hops. The bitterness is worthy of rememberance and has a sort of herbal quality which reminds me of green tea. Oh, and the gargantuan 10.4% ABV is pretty much completely covered up by the extreme abundance of hops. Pretty amazing.

It's got a fairly thick mouthfeel that matches its thick hop flavor, and the carbonation is medium to low.

To drink Hoptimum is to be sentenced to death by hops. And that's a fate I fully embrace.

3.97/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Wow this is one big beer.

A - clear as a bell copper with an initial two finger foamy head, excellent retention, and stellar lacing.
S- Lots of pine, resin, and bread, maybe some citrus
T - Initial taste is maltiness with a kind of peach flavor. Finish is a massive hop bomb with a boozy feel going down
M- Medium thick with a hoppy aftertaste
O- Seems like a great example of a DIPA. I've got four more and I am interested in seeing how it tastes once they are a couple of months old. The hops should fade and the booze should mellow making this one a litle more balanced.

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4pk 8.99 in SoCal

date code 3121208:39 whatever that means

A: love the logo a well dressed hop head. poured carefully into a craft pint glass.
Golden copper color with head a bit more than half inch with bubbles lazily rising to the top.

S: a sweet clean pine smell with a touch of floral

T: here we go! Rich pine flavor, malt tries hard to be noticed but fails and a follow through of grapefruit

M: sticky resin with a medium full body.

O: If you like torpedo this is bigger and better. the flavors aren't perfectly in balance but it's fun to be over the top and this hits the mark. please make this year round.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%

a: This was a clear dark golden color. The yielded a thick, frothy, incredibly long lasting head that left sheets of lace in its wake.

s: Grapefruit rind, tropical fruit juiciness, caramel, and short bread; kinda in that order.

t: Short bread sweetness, short lived but tasty. Tropical fruit and caramel before a big, biiter grapefruit rind finish. 10.4% abv is incredibly well disguised.

m: Big and chewy.

o: If I could have hoppy beer from only one brewery for the rest of my life, it would be hard not to pick SN. Celebration, Torpedo, Ruthless Rye, Bigfoot, and this are all world class.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hoptimum is an explosively flavorful imperial IPA, with a wonderfully complex hop presence that is most appealing in the finish. It is certainly a competitor in the IIPA sweepstakes, and is closer in taste and feel to Hopslam and Maximus than it is to Ruination and Palate Wrecker. In other words, it is sweet as well as bitter, and is wet and almost grapey in a chardonnay kind of way. To my taste, it is too sweet, and I find the experience on the palate--a sweet opening followed by a bitter finish--to be jolting and dissonant. It is an impressive brew with a fabulous aroma and great complexity, but I'll take a Ruination, Palate Wrecker, Green Flash Imperial, Mongo or several other IIPA's over this any day.

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

I am not big fan of Sierra Nevada beers. That being said when I went into my regular habit to pick up some Double Jack and Pliney the Elder and he was out of both he recommended this Hoptimum and said you will be happily surprised with it so reluctantly I purchased took it home and poured it into a glass and sampled. It smelled great so I asked my wife if she wanted a sip. She drank and said oh Pliney. I laughed and said no Sierra Nevada she was shocked so I drank some and wow this beer was great it had great hoppy, citrus , piney flavor, it had great color and, good head. I highley recommend this beer to any IPA Lover. Even with a 10.4% and 100IBU this beer is very well balnced this will be a staple in my fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 90.1% out of 100 with 6,313 ratings