Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Ratings: 6,310 |  Reviews: 1,485

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a clear darker golden color with two fingers of white head that retains very well for such a high abv beer. Looking good.

The smell hits you after popping the cap and pouring. Big hoppy fruit notes of orange, grapefruit, and peach which tickles my fancy in a IPA. Some floral and resinous pine is in there as well. Nicely rounded out hoppy profile.

First sip shows this is a bad boy. Warming alcohol fills the chest. The hops come in guns blazing with the bitterness. Big on the grapefruit and pine flavors. There is some sweetness and bready malt character that lends itself to somewhat balance out the beer. Fairly big beer here. Light smoothed out carbonation. Leaves the mouth dry with hop flavor that sticks around forever.

This thing just kills your palate after one bottle. Awesome.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013 release poured into a standard pint glass. A bottling or "enjoy by" date is sadly nowhere to be found, unless I am missing it. A true sin of omission for something so hoppy.

I tried to evaluate this beer last night, but was sadly pulled away from my endeavor, and, despite my best efforts to seal away and refrigerate yesterday's pour, various oils seemed to have transitioned to a clouding of waxes at the bottom of the glass, so I lost a good one. I share this only to emphasize just how much awesome hop oil is in this beer, which is the only thing I can think would reach a cloud point in forming waxes in a refrigerator -- I could be wrong.

A: Beautiful clear amber with 1/2 finger of fluffy white head comprised of larger bubbles, dissipating rapidly to a thin, sometimes broken film. Nice continuing bubbling of CO2 from the base of the glass, but the head is not stable and lacing is minimal but there -- the only real detractions from appearance here. Overall a beautiful beer.

S: Strong pine and grapefruit -- just what I want here, but not with any real added complexity.

T: This one wrecks the palate straight away, but early sips showed the hop profile evident in the nose, strongly representing the citrus grapefruit flavors and piney flavors with a bit more floral than what I had picked up in the nose. A strong bitter finish, evident even while drinking and lingering long after finished. The 10.4% abv shows, but honestly it drinks a lot like many other Imperial IPAs in the ~9abv range, so the alcohol, while it shows, does not dominate. Malt character is strong, but is just overwhelmed by hoppy goodness.

M: Wonderful. Really a perfect balance of carbonation and oily hop character. If you love hops, you should not miss the freshest pour of this beer you can obtain.

O: A very strong offering, probably my favorite thing I have ever had from Sierra Nevada. Very hoppy, but only what one would expect from a whole cone beer called "hoptimum." Very glad to have picked up a 4-pack of this, which I think was a steal at $10. I'll be watching for this one in coming years.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

When seasonal beers are released, like Hopslam. I seek it out once just to have the chance to enjoy it before it vanishes off the shelves. Hoptimum is a different beast. It's the seasonal beer I seek out multiple times when it's available. I'm always in the state of mind where I HAVE to try something new each time I go on a beer run. It's never the case with Hoptimum. If I see it, I'm buying it.

It has a great hazy burnt orange color to it. The nose is probably it's weakest point. For something's that's dry-hopped and torpedoed, it's a bit of a let down. There's not much to speak of besides a faint ammonia and floral smell to it. The taste, though, is god damned delicious. I'm not a fan of the intensely long lingering bitterness in a lot of IPAs. Hoptimum greets you with a HUGE slap of floral, earthy, piney goodness with an intense bitterness. The finish is dry and the bitterness fades almost instantly, leaving you eager for another sip.

I love this beer. It's widely available, cheap, and (in my opinion) one of the best Imperial IPAs around. Can't go wrong with this one.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow... I forgot how much of a "Palate Wrecker" this beer is!

It is delicious.
It smells absolutely wonderful
The taste blasts your mouth with pure unadulterated hops!
I am left speechless even though I've had this drink before...

I used to be a hardcore "HopHead", but after having been weaned off hops, coming back to this beer has given me a new appreciation for the one-dimensional bitterness I love in a hoppy beer! One sip will leave you thinking that this beer is not designed to be paired with any other food or drink. Anything you match it with, may it be cheese or meat, this beer will "Steal the Show"

Heavy Piney... Heavy Floral...
Lingering bitterness! Let it be your last drink. It will stay in your mouth ALL NIGHT LONG!

Overall, it is a hophead's wet dream... Just amazing and beyond description.

Great beer if you want your mouth to reminisce of only the pure joy of hop bliss...

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.