Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Ratings: 6,304 |  Reviews: 1,484

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The IPA that turned me from belgians. IPA's used to give me headaches, and I felt they were too intense. Then a close friend caught me at just the right time, and I savored all its glory. I was quite medicated at the time, but I remember an amazing golden pint with a handsome amount of head. A smell of grapefruit and other citrus seemed to visibly emerge from the glass. Then, POW it proceeded to coat my tongue with a heavy mouthfeel I have never experienced before ( this was before I got into crafts ) and I thought, "This is it. This is changing the way I look at beers. No longer will I avoid IPA's, but I will embrace them." Availability is good, price is good.. for an amazing brew.

That said, my top IPA's have moved on to 120min, Alchemy Hour, Hopslam and of course Hoptimum. I haven't had much else since I'm new to the game, please feel free to send me recommendations!

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip. Bottled on March 19, 2013 per Julian date code printed on bottle.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium gold with a 1-2 finger fluffy eggshell white head which dissipates slowly, leaving a ring around the edges and a pool of bubbles in the middle. Nice head retention and lacing.

Smell: Excellent blend of hoppy goodness that features aromas of sweet citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, bready malt, a hint of pine and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Pine, floral hops and bitter citrus up front followed by bready malt and grassy hops in the middle before ending with a huge blast of bitter, resinous hops at the finish. Aftertaste is extremely bitter and long-lasting. The IBUs really come through while the alcohol is well masked.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Very smooth and the hop oils really coat the mouth.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. This doesn't seem like a beer with 10.5% ABV.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. This is a hophead's dream. At 100 IBU, this one is very bitter - and I like it that way. If you like hoppy beers, this is a must try.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.91/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hoptimum is one of the best tasting Imperial IPAs that sadly I have not been able to find since their original release. Hopefully Sierra Nevada will bring back this hop monster soon. Based on the price one can only assume it cost a pretty penny to produce but from a consumer's perspective it is well worth the money.

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (5/11/13)

I am reviewing this because I want to replace all my hads with reviews. Last time I had this was before I started reviewing.

A: It is a deceptively cloudy but bright golden blondish brown that leaves a minimal head but excellent lacing.

S: The smell on this is glorious and one of the best smelling IPAs I've ever had. The citrus is there but it really just smells like a great Pacific Northwest redwood forest after a good downpour. It is all musky, piney and resinous with subtle, blended scents of citrus that are hard to truly pin down but seem to just emanate from that forest.

T: There is no mistaking the hops here at all. It is a full on full frontal hop assault. I've had a decent amount of top level IPAs and this one tastes pretty different from those, especially in the hop profile. I get pretty much no citrus at all in the taste, it is straight up pine and resin, which clearly comes out in the aftertaste. It tastes like it smells, like a pine tree.

M: There is just the right amount of carbonation here. It comes on quick and fast, right as it touches your lips and first gets into your mouth but fades fast as the hops shoot forward thanks to the carbonation which delivers them right to your palate. The carbonation is even throughout and quite crisp with all its tiny bubbles.

O: This is a full on hop bomb that is all pine resin. Don't drink anything else after this because it completely ruins your palate. This is truly a DIPA. It just completely covers your palate with its flavor.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up some Hoptimum today that is only about 1 month old, pretty fresh, so here we go. Pours almost like a lager, golden-clear, no haze at all, which is weird for a DIPA. Head is about 2 fingers of creamy tan bubbles. I would say this beer smells more in the piney-earthy realm more than the tropical fruit realm, along the lines of their Celebration Ale. This beer is all hops! Wow, bitter and boozy, but in a good way, don't look for any malt here, the malt got run out of town. So overall, I gotta say in my opinion, this beer is a bit too unbalanced, but if it's a hop experience you are looking for, than this is your beer.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.