Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Ratings: 6,310 |  Reviews: 1,485
4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (5/11/13)

I am reviewing this because I want to replace all my hads with reviews. Last time I had this was before I started reviewing.

A: It is a deceptively cloudy but bright golden blondish brown that leaves a minimal head but excellent lacing.

S: The smell on this is glorious and one of the best smelling IPAs I've ever had. The citrus is there but it really just smells like a great Pacific Northwest redwood forest after a good downpour. It is all musky, piney and resinous with subtle, blended scents of citrus that are hard to truly pin down but seem to just emanate from that forest.

T: There is no mistaking the hops here at all. It is a full on full frontal hop assault. I've had a decent amount of top level IPAs and this one tastes pretty different from those, especially in the hop profile. I get pretty much no citrus at all in the taste, it is straight up pine and resin, which clearly comes out in the aftertaste. It tastes like it smells, like a pine tree.

M: There is just the right amount of carbonation here. It comes on quick and fast, right as it touches your lips and first gets into your mouth but fades fast as the hops shoot forward thanks to the carbonation which delivers them right to your palate. The carbonation is even throughout and quite crisp with all its tiny bubbles.

O: This is a full on hop bomb that is all pine resin. Don't drink anything else after this because it completely ruins your palate. This is truly a DIPA. It just completely covers your palate with its flavor.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up some Hoptimum today that is only about 1 month old, pretty fresh, so here we go. Pours almost like a lager, golden-clear, no haze at all, which is weird for a DIPA. Head is about 2 fingers of creamy tan bubbles. I would say this beer smells more in the piney-earthy realm more than the tropical fruit realm, along the lines of their Celebration Ale. This beer is all hops! Wow, bitter and boozy, but in a good way, don't look for any malt here, the malt got run out of town. So overall, I gotta say in my opinion, this beer is a bit too unbalanced, but if it's a hop experience you are looking for, than this is your beer.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.84/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, on sale for $10/4pack, poured into a 12 oz Bell's Tulip. Bottling date (unbeknownst at time of purchase) is 9 months prior to drinking.

A: Clear amber body with nice creamy 2 finger head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: Very unique nose. Grapefruit, mango, some other tropical fruit that I can't place. Maybe some sour cherries? Not especially piney or floral. Still nice though.

T: Unique hop profile carries over to the taste, but some lingering sourness and skunkyness is present. Not really the best aftertaste. Malty body but fairly balanced. Not much heat at all. Bitter, but not 100 IBU bitter (as it is described).

M: Pretty creamy with a good body and adequate level of carbonation. Dry finish.

O: This is not good 9 months from being fresh. I hope to re-review this fresh one day.

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I have been assimilated into perfection, ... Bravo, Sierra Nevada!

First off reading some of the other reviews ... you really are not a hop lover is you are saying things like "wow I actually cringed at how bitter it was". These type of beers are pallet wreckers as a warning on a bottle of Stone Ruination will tell you.

Color copper golden... fantastic just to look at. The smell can only be described as what it must smell like in hop field. Well balanced piney floral hop bite ...it's an eye opener, hits you hard and changes to a mellow after bite.

I got my beer fresh in 2012, I do not like aged beers like this, they will lose character over time.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.