Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Ratings: 6,304 |  Reviews: 1,484

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

I guess we all have different pallates and mine usually loves big, hoppy beers. However, I was really disappointed with this beer. The appearance and aroma were great, but it fell on its face after the first sip. (atleast for me). Very bitter, not just in flavor but in the mouthfeel as well. My jaw started to cringe and cramp up, like when you eat a very sour lemon or sour candy. In my opinion, to many early hop additions and not enough mid to late hop additions to equal out the flavor to bitterness ratio. Again, I maybe way off compared to what others experienced, but I only got half of this beer down before sending it back. The ABV's were a litte high as well without enough malt character to mask the ethanol flavor. Maybe i'll try this one again and get a different experience.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.89/5  rDev +19%

This is now a once a year 4 pack treat. Very aggressive imperial IPA. Fantastic taste, not overly bitter. Nice to look at, nice to smell and nice head. Nice label and marketing - love the green coloring and the whole cone tone. Sierra Nevada really did themselves out on this one - awesome beer!

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

I sometimes drink beer warm. I also sometimes cork the bottle and finish the next night. I have discovered that this beer actually taste better the second night. When you let the beer go slightly flat, the bitterness is less, and the flavor improves. I like the beer cold and fresh. However, I'm curious if anyone else has heard of doing this. (I just didn't want to throw the beer out and put a cork in the bottle.) When I tasted it the second night, I liked it better. (The beer is very carbonated, I also had a cork in the bottle) I have tried this more than once with this particular beer. Let it go slightly flat, the bitterness leaves, it taste great! Cold or Warm. Even when it goes slightly flat it is more carbonated than some other beers.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.