Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA
4.18/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

4.2

Ratings: 6,319 |  Reviews: 1,486

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

I like hop bombs but they gotta have some character to them. This beer blasts you in the face with a straight hop punch!

Appearance - Standard IPA light amber

Smell - Nice sweet hops nose.

Taste - This is where things falls apart.No nuances or no layers to it all. ONE HOP FLAVOR and BOOZE that's all folks.

Mouthfeel - Medium body which plays into the 10% ABV

Overall - I was a little disappointed. I've come to expect a little more from Sierra's IPA offerings. With other hop bombs, you usually can taste the different types of hops during the course of a glass. Not so with this one. -

Overall Part II - I went back to this and I liked it better the 2nd time around but I still feel it could have been so much more.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

I guess we all have different pallates and mine usually loves big, hoppy beers. However, I was really disappointed with this beer. The appearance and aroma were great, but it fell on its face after the first sip. (atleast for me). Very bitter, not just in flavor but in the mouthfeel as well. My jaw started to cringe and cramp up, like when you eat a very sour lemon or sour candy. In my opinion, to many early hop additions and not enough mid to late hop additions to equal out the flavor to bitterness ratio. Again, I maybe way off compared to what others experienced, but I only got half of this beer down before sending it back. The ABV's were a litte high as well without enough malt character to mask the ethanol flavor. Maybe i'll try this one again and get a different experience.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.18 out of 5 with 6,319 ratings