Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA
4.18/5
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPASierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

4.2

Ratings: 6,314 |  Reviews: 1,486

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Really aggressive hop bomb that somehow remains drinkable while never being cloying. Malt is there but the onslaught of hoppy resin never quits. One of the better triple IPAs out there and something I look forward to ever year. Love the new 6 pack format and you cannot beat the price. If you like palate recking hop bombs then give this one a go. Recommended.

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been waiting for this one. Poured a nice light golden pale straw with a frothy but not enormous head.

The bouquet was unquestionable. There was going to be a lot of good hops here.

My first taste, I was somewhat surprised. It was Hop, after Hop after Hop, different styles and flavors, but not one of them too much or over the top.
It almost reminded me of drinking three different beers at once.
The taste lingered and left me wanting another sip.

This is a real nice brew for this time of year. I can see myself purchasing many more of these delightful 4 packs

*Retasted this one several times since my first exposure. With each tasting, this beer is getting better and better.

When customers ask about this beer, I tell them it is not a "Hop Head" beer, despite the label. The Hops are they and will stay with you for each sip. Though each sip almost presents another hop variation. A real exciting beer.

02/14/13
This was one of the 4 IPAs I tasted together. One of my other reviews took a previous "5" down just a little. I am doing this here also. Still a fantastic beer, just that when I compare to my best ones this is just a little below

4.68/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a tan head. Head retention is very nice, but it eventually fades to a thin layer of foam with beautiful lacing. The aroma is pure hops, citrusy and floral with strong underlying pine. The aroma alone is intoxicating. Moving into flavor, lots of pine and very bitter. The bitterness fades for a moment but the pine remains. The Bitterness returns in the finish in the form of incredibly bitter grapefruit with notes of pine. Mouthfeel = Excellent. Low carbonation and a full, almost oily mouthfeel. It coats the mouth with the taste of resinous hops. My only real complaint is that it's not available year-round.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.18 out of 5 with 6,314 ratings