Hoptimum | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

HoptimumHoptimum
4.18/5
Exceptional
HoptimumHoptimum

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Our Brewers selected the finest, most flavorful hops, pushed them beyond their limits and forged them into this all-new triple IPA. This reimagined Hoptimum is our hoppiest beer yet, providing a blend of tropical and citrus hop aroma that delivers a refined yet aggressive character.

Bittering hops: Simcoe
Finishing hops: Citra, Chinook, Simcoe.

Added by kaseydad on 02-07-2010

Ratings: 6,368 |  Reviews: 1,498
4.24/5  rDev +1.4%

24oz brown glass pry-top proprietary bottle. 2011. Just arrived in Vermont this past week. This is my third bottle, so time to rate it.

Pours a beautifully clear medium amber with thick, rich tan 2 finger-head. Nose is a little muted, but it might be my nose right now. Some sticky kine hop/bud aromas for sure.

Palate is super bitter right off the bat, but stays clean on the texture in true SN style. Flavors are like a puree/reduction of hop oil/resin, orange pulp, pine sap, herbs and weed. The malt is there a little bit, a little pale caramel malt, but gets bashed around by the hops for sure. Great long, bitter finish.

Notes: A lot of people claimed this would be a substitute for PtE, but the texture is super clean which I think makes it not quite a dead-ringer. In true SN style, the beer is unbelievably drinkable despite being over 10% and the palate is dry and super clean in texture. These guys sure do know how to make hoppy beer. I hope they do this again because my personal stash is going fast! (And I think this beer is going to fade very fast, so drink up!!!)

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

I've always been a big SN fan, and let's see if Hoptimum reaches the high standard a lot of SN junkies are holding it to. Pours a moderately dark amber color, about 50 percent transparent, with a huge head, gobs of lacing that cling to the side of the glass. Aroma is the typical Sierra Nevada fare, citrus hops, pine, with the citrus notes being a bit sharper than the other beers I have had from Sierra Nevada. Lots of hops. Taste is surprisingly sweet, with an also surprising amount of malt, with the hop bitterness really coming through in the finish. The usual citrus and grapefruit are present. Lots and lots of hops in the taste as well. It tastes fine, but its a bit....jumbled. Lots of alcohol in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky with a bitter aftertaste, drinkability is so-so, stick to SNPA or Torpedo if you want a Sierra Nevada beer you can drink several of in a sitting.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's undeniably good, but I prefer the Estate ale to Hoptimum. I had hoped that this would be a beer that could be a good substitute for PtE on the east coast, but unfortunately Hoptimum just isn't in the same league. That being said, it's a good beer and one worth checking out.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

24oz bottle into a Hopus glass pours a crisp orange with a nice frothy khaki head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves decent lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice amount of grassy citrus hops in front of sweet malts. The taste is a nice amount of crisp citrus hops with a very nice sweet caramel malt backbone that balances things out wonderfully. The beer is medium bodied with only a slight amount of sticky alcohol. This is a very enjoyable Imperial IPA, I'd expect nothing less from Sierra Nevada.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Straight gold pour with 2-finger white head. Nice retention and thin lace. Light carbonation and very clear with no haze present at all.

Lots and lots of hops in the nose. Big citrus smell, sticky sweet, with more pineapple than grapefruit. Touch of mango and apricot. Light herbal tones behind the citrus. Very nice. No malt presence whatsoever.

Big hop bite right up front. Burn sets in very quickly. Sharp finish with lots of alcohol on the breath. Hints at orange and tart dried fruit, but really just bitters everywhere. Very dry on the back end with just a touch of cream.

Feel is a tad thin for as much flavor and alcohol as are present.

Very nice sipper to share. Wish this came in a smaller bottle, though.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a couple of these at Bootleggers in Thopsham, ME was surprised/psyched to see them.

A - Really nice orange/golden color with a nice lacing plenty of bubbles.

S - Resiny pine also some astringent (sp?) smell but in a good way.

T - Pure grapefruit, a real hopps treat similar to me like a torpedo but even more tart +1.

M - really nice almost dry sticks with you. That astringent taste again sticking with it.

D - What can I say I really like IPAs/DIPAs. This is stong but would have again I really like the fact that it is different then others out there.

Anyone with a chance whoud definately try this!

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

24 oz bottle. $8.99 from Total Wine Crossroads in Raleigh.

Appearance: Poured to a snifter. Brilliant clear orange. Excellent head, excellent retention, excellent chunky, clumpy lacing. This is how you do it.

Smell: Just a huge load of hoppy aromatics. Resiny weed, bitter grapefruit. A slight oaky woodiness. Sweet and spicy malt. A little ethanol-- well enough to burn with a deep sniff.

Taste: This is a bitter beast. Big time citrus rind. More sticky greenery. Good malt backbone with sweetness and Munich-like spiciness. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Great creamy, sticky feel. Resiny coating. Perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is an excellent beer. Slightly less than perfect scores only because I favor fruitier, slightly sweet DIPAs to all out dry bitter assault. Hell of a beer though.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear copper color with a massive head (just what one would expect from a Sierra Nevada hoppy beer); clumps of foam stick to the side of the glass

Smell: Tropical fruit salad, with tangerine, pineapple and a hint of mango; the crystal malt also leaves a sugar subtext underneath

Taste: As the beer warms, the malt makes a stronger impression, with the caramel sweetness laying down a backbone from which the hop flavors are suspended; and what a load of hops there are, with the citrusy, pineapple flavors detected in the aroma marching all over the taste buds, and creating a menthol-vanilla that lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body; just a bit sticky; moderate carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Another signature Sierra Nevada IPA, but elevated a notch or two for the hopheads; this one is very aggressive on the tongue and a bit raw in character; a fine beer, but I find myself taking smaller and smaller sips to mitigate the tongue-lashing

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Had on tap at By the Bottle here in Vancouver, WA..

- Clear copper brew, big fluffy fingers of head.. took some time for it to settle down to a thin blanket with lace all about.

- Huge citrus grapefruit hops... grassy, herbal.. caramel, sugars..

- Love the hops.. massive hops... massive fruit salad citrus and grapefruit... sweet candy, caramel syrup... biscuit, light grain.. and more grassy citrus hops.

- Medium bodied, well carbonated, slightly syrupy..

- Overall impressed, and was beyond my expectations for it. Now I will have to see what it will be like from the bottle.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

22oz stubby bottle (late December '10 says the code).

Pours into the Delirium tremens tulip with a gorgeously crisp tangerine-copper hue. Beady bubbles rise up from the laser etching at an aesthetically pleasing rate, engulfed by a brimming cap of frothy latte foam up top. The nose is fresh hop glory. A rich, piny herbalness suggests mint and sticky douja with a backing of grapefruit peel. Some traces of caramel malt in the background.

The flavor takes a unique approach to the Double IPA, as the mix of booze, raw-cone hop bitterness, and citrus flavors combine well on the palate. Hints of what tastes like vanilla and menthol on the finish...an odd combination for the style, but surprisingly not off-putting. Breathy alcohol out-lingers the hoppiness. Mouthfeel is crisp and medium in body for such a big beer, but that helps in terms of drinkability. Carbonation is spot-on. I was a little worried about Sierra Nevada putting out another hoppy beer that tastes the same as their Harvest/Hemisphere/Estate lineup. Consider my fears subsided...Hoptimum is a beast!

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

24 oz bottle purchased at Brawley's poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Split with the old man.

A- Pours a golden orange with a half finger white head.

S- Smells of citrus hops and slight hint of alcohol

T- Tastes of citrus, grapefruit hops, a small amount of caramel malts and a good hops bitterness. Awesome flavor.

2nd time having it and I am getting some pineapple also. This beer is exceptional

M- Smooth, medium bodied and medium carbonation.

D- Awesome. barely any detection of alcohol at all and this beer is not light on the alcohol. At 10.4% abv this beer is incredibly drinkable.

This is my favorite DIPA I have had (granted, I haven't had fresh PtE, HopSlam or Double Trouble). I will be going back to buy a couple more tomorrow. This beer is incredible.

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

I'll try this again. I learned from a fellow aficionado that my previous review disappeared. Black helicopters????.

Anyway, I'm not happy about this try from Sierra Nevada, one of my favorite breweries. I have great respect for their Pale Ale, their Celebrations, and, especially their Torpedo (along with Green Flash West Coast) my regular beer of choice

Hoptimum is just way too sweet and way too boozy. I'm not a brewer but it was so sugary that I wonder if there are fermentation issues. I understand 120 Minute is pretty darn sweet, and they had to discard an entire batch for excessive sweetness, so these Imperials are tricky I suppose.

To put in perspective, a couple days before, I had a Rebicon Hopsauce (on tap), that although also sweet, was just about perfect. A couple days after, I had a Pliny E (also on tap) and I can't imagine a more perfect balance in a DIPA.

Bottom line, it took me three days to finish a bottle and that's just not right.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bright, slightly hazed, 24K gold colour with a 1 finger head of foam with some good to damn good lacing. Gorgeous looking brew.

A fairly weak nose of pine with some noticeable sweet malt notes.

Very resiny hop bitterness that stick to my tongue in a very good way. It's like pine sap and and is tasty but I find that the malt does a decent job of interjecting and providing some relief from what could be an immense bitterness that I would not totally enjoy. A very long finish and aftertaste keeps the spirit of the beer on your palate long after the swallow. And, pretty much, no sign or intrusion of the ample alcohol.

Ooops...there it is. Some warming building now.

Medium bodied bordering on full with medium carbonation, this has a great mouth feel.

This is a big old 24ozer, bottled on Dec 17, 2010, and is very delicious and surprisingly easy to drink. Thanks go out to my local retailer for picking this one up so I can enjoy it.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Poured into a Belgian thin-walled goblet. Perhaps a shade darker than clover honey. A bright foaming mousse of a head, laces down the glass quite nicely. Later, little pods of bubbles populate the surface.

S - A punch of hops, grapefruit and green grass. A little less strong than Victory's "Hop Devil". No surprise that this is a hoppy monster.

T - Hops again with just a touch of light malt. For a "lighter" ale this has good balance for the 10.5% ABV listed. Not much alcohol heat detected.

M - Smooth. The hops coat the tongue and kick in on the long aftertaste.

D - If you're a hop head, this is one you should enjoy. I tasted this on a cold winter evening and I'd prefer to have this on a July afternoon. Not a session beer. The alcohol and the hops will wear out your palate.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

Well, no Hopslam or Double Trouble yet, but lo and behold I have found Hoptimum to hold me over... or at least i'm assuming it will hold me over, as its awesome label reminds me of colonel quick-e-mart's kentucky bourbon from an early episode of the simpsons for some reason... but anyway, let's see....

Poured into a tulip, a light frothy white head develops and dissolves in short order. Nice golden color, completely clear.

Smell is like a pine punch in the face. Resiny, piney, with some slight notes of citrus. The taste is.... shockingly, almost exactly like the smell. No real malt presence to be found, just pure resiny hops over and over, some citrus notes rise up here and there.... but really bitterness through and through, and an incredibly bitter finish to boot.

Mouthfeel is probably the hight point, creamy and smooth but still crisp on the finish. A sticky resin remains with each finished sip, which I don't altogether mind.... its just so friggin bitter.

As you might surmise from my constant notes on the bitterness, this is not an especially drinkable ipa (though to be fair, the high abv is well hidden). Not like drainpour undrinkable, but just too much to drink more than a pint of. I've had younger, elder, expo hoppiness, hopslam and plenty of other super hoppy beers, but this one just does not give you the fruit/citrus notes or any kind of sweetness to counter the pure hop bitterness. Will take a good deal of convincing for me to get it again.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Gotta say, this may be my new favorite, but in moderation. It's like a perfect storm minus marky mark if you are a DIPA fan and a Sierra fan. For some reason, and probally obvious, most micro's tend to have a dominate trait or taste to them, and for Sierra, this is that dominate hop but amplified. Big crisp hops start you out on the taste, but a pleasant citrusy finish puts this over the top. I love this beer, but....the 10% crushes the drinkability on this, it was so easy to drink, that I got loopy watching wonder pets with the kids, awesome beer, only drawback....

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottled on 1/3 and today is 1/12...pretty damn fresh.

I'll start by saying I feel people will go one way or another with this beer, very contradicting as I'm in the middle. Before I start I will say this beer is straight hop oils and resin in a glass. Sticky icky icky.

Appearance - come one people, for 10.4% this beer is a nice golden orange and looks clean like most 7- 8% DIPAs. Beautiful looking beer although the head does not form nearly as heavy with a semi-agressive pour like all SN's other offerings do. Very good.

Smell - You get that typical SN hop profile but mangos, tropical fuit, some peach and a little caramel come through. Smells better and more potent than any other SN offering.

Taste - As it warms there are sweet mangos, tropical fruits, orange rind and freaking DANK. Sticky sticky dank. This is the most resiny and hop oily beer I've ever had...hop oils linger and linger and linger long after every sip. I didn't find the bit of caramel sweetness in the finish offensive although usually I don't care for it. It added to the hop oils and resin I thought. This is not for a mild hop head...this beer was brewed for the extreme hop head. Thanks SN for finally saying "you want a freaking DIPA...I'll phucking give you a DIPA!" Might not have been the most balanced but it's a all out Hop attack.

Mouthfeel - see taste as I think I explained it. Good but drinks like 10% and a bit boozy which I didn't mind too much. Booze is detectable but not over-whelming. To someone who is not a complete hophead, they would say this is one HOT IPA though. Good but not great.

Drinkability - same, good but not great. I can put down DIPAs but I wouldn't open another 24oz bottle after the first one.

Final Thoughts - I'm impressed. They went balls out with this one. I'd buy again. I don't think this is meant to be compared with Sculpin (I know it's a single), PtE, Hop Stoopid and the other 8% to 9% DIPAs etc...
I feel this brew was brewed for the extreme hop head. If you're only into single IPAs and entering into hops, this will be most certainly over the top for you. I for one liked it and didn't care much for it on tap 4-5 months ago. I knew a fresh bottle would be the only way to truly see where I stood with this one

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%

A - translucent orange amber in color, one finger off white head that thins to a light cap, nice lacing

S - orange rind, funky hops, light caramel and spice notes, reminds me a lot of other sierra beers just more intense

T - citrusy (grapefruit and orange) hops, slight creaminess, caramel and light spice finish

M - medium body, nice carbonation, light bitterness on the finish

D - This is a fairly "big" rich beer, maybe a pint or two at most in one sitting. The 10.4% alc. is covered well, no boozy taste but it certianly catches up with you.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

It appears translucent orange with a small white head.

It smells of pine, citrus, caramel, and grassy hops.

It tastes initially of citrus: orange and lemon. There is a nice grassy and pine like flavor to the beer. I get a little bit of a caramel like malt taste but in general the malts are not very noticeable. The finish is quite bitter and hoppy. The hop profile of the beer is very nice but the caramel like taste is not that pleasant in this beer. Don't get me wrong this ale tastes pretty good but there are some flaws to the ale.

The carbonation is moderate low and adds smoothness to the beer.

The drinkability is ok: a glass or two is all I would want to drink of this as it is pretty rich.

Overall not a bad beer but not a great Imperial IPA. I suppose it is slightly better than average though.

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Nice golden, grapefruit color with a very pillowy, off white head. Good lacing as well.

Smell- Big grapefruit aroma with a good amount of malt to back it up. Lemon, orange and pine are right there as well.

Taste- Lots of malt and alcohol in the taste. Didn't smell that much alcohol, but there is a lot in the taste. There is also the citrus as in the smell, but alcohol takes over.

Mouthfeel- For a 10% IIPA this is a full mouthfeel. The malt in this makes it almost grainy in the feel.

Drinkability- Not very good, I am afraid. Very "hairy" and "edgy". I will anticipate this to get worse as it warms.

I was looking forward to this until I saw it was over 10% abv. Way too bozey for me.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

Served from a 22oz. bottle into a glass snifter.

A - Beautiful! Super clear, like a Kristall Hefeweizen; cloudless orange amber; very minimal, fingernails-width light-brown head; appears to be slightly carbonated; little-to-no lacing throughout the drink.

S - More hoppy than malty; Simcoe hops not as profound on the nose as would expect; slightly taken aback because of; intrigued!

T - Wow, there's that whole-cone! Decent amount of carbonation for a Double IPA - a pleasant surprise! Explosion of bitter hops (Magnum) on the finish; sweetness that segues into hints of pine, earth and Evergreen; pinch of caramel; very profound linger with little-to-no heat.

M - Medium bodied; slightly-syrupy; coats your mouth; resonates with a very subdued, sweet tartness.

D - Hyper drinkable. Full points for drinkablility.

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

Served in tulip. Poured a clean, clear, coppery amber color and had 3/4 inch of off-white head that had very good retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly floral and weed hops, had a touch of sweetness, but had no real grain or malt profile. On the tongue the beer was very hoppy upfront, seemed kind of chalky in the middle and had a dry citrusy finish. There was no noticeable malt or grain in the taste.

The body was good, not quite full and was fairly typical. Drinkability was pretty good for the style, but at this strength I probably wouldn't have more than 2 in a row.

Overall, a good, but not great example of the style. Worth trying when you can.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Perfect orange-amber with enough suspended solids to be slightly cloudy yet transparent. Full, thick white head that expands at a touch of agitation. Aroma of very raw, clean and fresh hops - fruity and citrus scents with a very tangy freshness.

Taste is a huge mouthful of hops that display the fruity character of very fresh hops. The fruit character is balanced by the bitterness of the volume of the hops, and a little bit of alcohol character. Mouthfeel is very clean and a touch bitterness, and the alcohol shows through a bit due to the strength. Fairly drinkable, moreso considering the strength, but the alcohol and bitterness diminish this a bit while still being good.

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Great hop content without being overly hippy. Very smooth, better as it warms. More nose opens with warming. Had it at limited release at bistro in hayward. Can't wait to be able to get it at more retailers. The vibrant hops comes through on each sip. High alcohol content, but hops covers it enough to trick even the most expierienced faster. Or the newbie.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

24oz bottle poured into a snifter. You know, I'm kind of disappointed to see Sierra Nevada release a beer with a cutesy name like this. I thought they were better than that.

A: Amber body. Head leaves decent lacing.

S: Tons of citrus with some grassiness.

T: A ton of tropical fruitiness. Some grassiness. Hints of honey and sweet bread. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Medium-bodied, slightly syrupy.

D: An outstanding DIPA. If not for the alcohol, this would drink like water. Thumbs way up.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the Bistro for their anniversary night event, poured into a 10 oz weizen glass. Clear dark orange beer with just a slight amount of off white soapy head when poured off tap. Plenty of lacing despite the lack of head when you drink, clings longingly to the glass. Impressive looking IPA.

For such a high abv beer, the alcohol is not very apparent on the nose at all. Lots of orange, grapefruit and tropical fruit sweetness on the nose. Very fragrant. Not too much bitterness on the nose though, but it smells like a very ripe fruit basket. However, for a DIPA, this rivals Sculpin for the amount of fruitiness off the nose.

The sweet citrus and tropical fruits (lots of mango and some pineapple sourness) upfront, and the sweetness lingers on through a slightly grapefruit peel finish. Unfortunately, it seemed a tad too sweet from the combination of malts and hops used for this. Just a bit more bittering hops would have made this beer immensely delicious.

Really surprisingly full bodied IPA that just envelops your mouth when you take a sip. Bordering on chewy as you work toward swallowing. Carbonation was excellent on tap, just enough to contribute to a dry and clean finish despite the initial sweetness of the beer.

A very good beer, that could have been amazing with just a more citrus bitterness on the tongue. I could see a small tweak to the recipe making this one of the better DIPA's out there.

Hoptimum from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.18 out of 5 with 6,368 ratings