Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop AleEstate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale
4.11/5
Exceptional
Estate Homegrown Wet Hop AleEstate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

"Taste fresh-from-the-field flavors with this handmade, homegrown, and completely natural ale. Made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, this remarkable ale is the only one of its kind."

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2010

Ratings: 1,447 |  Reviews: 560

Had no hop aroma or the flavors I look forward to in wet hop ipa's.

My experience was more like a 2.5 but it's not entirely the beers fault. Once i got home i realized it was the 2014 edition. Probably bottled around six months ago? Unfortunately, the hops had disappeared and i was left with a funky, malty mess. Would love to try it fresh.

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

not exactly what i expected but still good

a- dark orange almost a burnt in some light, very bodied, cant see through the glass unless held to light
s-very citrusey as expected, a nice sierra neveda hop smell as usual
t- this is the only area i felt really lacking, not enough bite or biter, it could be from the wet hop deal not sure yet, i was really hoping for more flavor
m-its ok
d- i could pound these all day in the summer, i might try and save one or two just to see if it appeals more then

not my favorite sn product but its not horrible by any means

3.04/5  rDev -26%

On tap at Toronado, served in a pint glass.

A - Honey-colored, with very little head -- just a thin cap. Part of that was the pour, but then again there was very little retention and no lacing, so I'm not inclined to give any more credit here.

S - Grassy hoppiness, like wet lawn clippings, are the dominant aroma, but there's also caramel and toffee in the background. Not very aromatic at all. Almost like an old keg, but I don't think that's the case here.

T - Well, blah. Nothing here that I was hoping for. The usual SN hoppy bite that I've come to expect isn't there. Plenty of malt, and the hops, while there, are very mild. I didn't get much of the grassiness that was in the nose, but it definitely has a polite bitterness. It seems almost... balanced? Not bad by any means, but just not superlative.

M - Solid and full, with good carbonation. One of the better aspects of this brew for me.

D - It's definitely got some abv weight to it, since I could feel the difference after the pint. I specifically ordered this to test it before dropping $10 on a bottle, and I'm glad I did -- I won't be getting one.

O - Disappointed to say the least. While it's not a bad beer, it seems more like a solid APA than an IPA. A rare miss for me from SN.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: Pours a pale off white, two fingered head into a pint glass. Color is a deep orange almost rustlike flavor with lots or bubbles leading up to the head. When held to light, has a reddish hue.  This beer looks great.  Head retention is good, and there is some great lacing from the hops.

Smell: There's not a whole hell of a lot of aroma to this beer, I sniffed at it a few times and didnt pull alot from it. Some floral hops, maybe a little citrus. I feel a slight predjustice towards this beer. It being organic, I thought it would have a ton of fragrance, it did not.

Taste: The taste is a little piney, with some fresh citrus and hop oil, but not alot of hop bitterness until the end. Again, the organic label left me thinking a lot more fresh flavors would be present, and I didn't see them.

Mouthfeel is very slick, mild carbonation that is smooth on the way down, and then bites on the end.

Overall, a decent beer, but I am a little disappointed. I didn't come into this beer experience with an open mind, and that's probably why. I had high expectations, I got this in a sampler pack with some over very good beers, and this is by far the least impressive.

3.11/5  rDev -24.3%

The beer is crystal clear and appears copper to amber in color. The head is thick and dense, measuring just over an inch after a leisurely pour. Plenty of lacing left on the tulip glass. The aroma offers dank hops, malt, and an odd scent with a funky character. It smells similar to cleaning carpets. Hmm....the taste has the same character. Not bad, per se, but not even in the same league as the Founders Harvest Ale I just enjoyed. Decent feel, with a lingering wet hop flavor, as well as the damp basement oddness. Overall, not worth $10. Nothing special here.

Notes: waxing a fresh hop beer? Seems like a marketing gimmick if ever I saw one.

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Primed for the first pitch of the NLCS Game 6...GO GIANTS!!!

Pours a beautiful ruddy amber, three fingers of rocky head that settles into a half-finger of nice, persistent creaminess and leaves awesome lacing. Lots of flowery hops in the nose, also a sort of medicinal element in there too, and I'm not sure I like that latter quality. Good carbonation....It smells "fresh" for some reason...flavor is a weird concoction of hops, skunky Humboldt green, and a certain sweetness which is well placed and balances the beer nicely. The carbonation is a little lacking, and I would have liked more of it. The finish is super-duper-long and bitter in a really wonderful way. The flavor is also very "fresh". I like the freshness a lot. Painfully expensive at $8.99/half-liter so drinkability suffers. A really pleasant beer, not great and too expensive.

What I like most: The fresh qualities in the nose and flavor.

What I like least: The price and lack of strong carbonation.

Verdict: good effort from SN but unfortunately not worth the price.

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%

Really "home grown" as all the ingredients are grown on the S.N. property.

Dark amber color with a good head. Nice aroma, citrus, spice.

Very good taste with a nice hoppy flavor. "Strong" flavor but no harsh at all. Took my time with this one and really enjoyed it. Not a guzzler.

Hoppy finish. This is a really nice IPA. Not a crazy price for an "exclusive" IPA either.

3.24/5  rDev -21.2%

Aromas are of juicy grapefruit and some pine. Classic Sierra Nevada nose.

The taste follows the nose with light toasty malt, some sweet caramel malts but mostly it's about the juicy hops. Lots of grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine. Lingering wet-hop juicy bitterness, a little too much for my liking. Wet hop ales should be more about aroma in my opinion. Moderate carbonation, good creaminess. Call it medium in heft.

Overall this is a decent beer, but it's disappointing because it's so similar to so many other Sierra Nevada offerings and because of the price point, really not worth the extra dollars in my opinion. Worth a go I guess just to say that you tried it and I appreciate the value of a decent organic offering as well.

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.11 out of 5 with 1,447 ratings