Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Estate Homegrown Wet Hop AleEstate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

"Taste fresh-from-the-field flavors with this handmade, homegrown, and completely natural ale. Made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, this remarkable ale is the only one of its kind."

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2010

4.1

Reviews: 547 | Ratings: 1,396
4.49/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA (from notes)

A - Nice clear amber/brown color with a thick head.

S - Strong, fresh hops. A very delightful smell. Some traces of malt in the background, but this is all about the hops.

T - Hoppy with citrus and pine flavors. The hops dominate. Some malt and caramel flavors which are overwhelmed by the hops flavors.

M - Medium to thick bodied. ok carbonation. A little oily due to the hops (not totally unexpected)

O - Estate was an enjoyable beer that really pushed the fresh, wet hops flavors to the forefront. If you like hops, you should give Estate a try!

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Cloudy orange, thick white head.

S - Strong pine aroma, clean scent, not pine sol but fresh

T - Great malty back bone to the excellent hop flavor.

M - Full but not overly so. Really great.

D - I could drink this all the time. It makes my mouth happy.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

My last night of tastings. Sad really, now I will have to wait an entire month before I get to indulge in such things again. But what can you do, figured I would go out with a bang and hit up these new ones and get them off the list and out of the fridge. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, these were consumed on 11/18/2010.

Followed up the northern hemi with the estate homegrown just to get the ball rolling a bit deeper into the hops. Great pour here with a dark orange color that really showed off the depth here. Big head of white rises up and over the top of the glass, settling down nicely into a smooth and coating layer of lacing. Really nice hops here, sweet with a deep orange and pineapple flavor that really just gums up and sticks to everything around it. Really just smooth and very well done I have to admit. Working forward you gets that rich, sticky and resin filled flavor that really puts it all into perspective very nicely. Well done I have to admit. Balanced with a good deal of sweetness this was really just so full of resin I was beside myself.

Incredibly drinkable and just a wonder, I was totally and completely blown away with how drinkable this one was. Really well done.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A-clear dark copper in color with great lacing and retention, sticking the sides of my glass. S-some earthy pine with floral notes. T- grapefruit brightness followed by a nice sweet malt that's not overbearing. O-Hop taste is crystal clear and malts balance off in the finish. Quite balanced and very delicious. I'm biased towards organic beers but this one makes me question my opinion. I will most definitely be buying another bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pours a reddish golden color, slightly hazy, huge 1.5 inch head, big retention, lots of lace

S: citrus and piney hops, strong Malty sweetness, caramel notes, might be more choppy had I opened the bottle when it was more fresh.

T: sweet upfront, citrus hops in the middle, finishes bitter with a piney resinous, but not overpowering, this wet hop ale is delicious and probably even better fresher

O: a great Ipa, drinks like a pale ale, very refreshing. You can just taste that it is a fresh wet hop ale.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Transcribed from notes dtd Sa, 13 Nov 2010.

Served with a foamy finger of ecru head with moderate retention. Color was a coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an earthy, piney quality, like standing in a grove of evergreens. Mouthfeel was medium, but sticky and resinous at the same time. The Californians can keep their Prop. 19 crop, it is hops that make this hophead happy. This was hops, hops, and more hops, like the hybrid of a rabbit and a frog. Very hoppy! Finish was (literally) breathtaking with a cool, dry minty taste that lingered well after the swallow. I know that it was a lot of work for them to make this beer, but I found it worthwhile.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass, don't know when this was bottled but I just found it, 2011 version. This pours a hazy copper/tea color with a massive off white head. The smells are very hoppy, lots of pine and citrus, a little caramel. The feel is medium with a mouth coating bitter hop resin. The taste is great, loads of hop bitterness, some grapefruit and citrus, some malt sweetness, this beer is excellent.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I tried the 2010 batch of this beer just 3 months ago - meaning it was way past fresh - and I gave it all 4.5s. So it really held up well and I'm excited to try this one super fresh. I just deleted my last review, as a fresh bottle will be more definitive considering this is an IPA.

750mL wax top bottle (2011 batch) poured into a tulip.

Glowing amber orange color, perfectly clear with a dense, thick, 3-finger slightly off-white head that hangs around for a while and leaves nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is a burst of citrus, grapefruit rind, tropical fruit, and pine. This beer smells wonderful, fresh & bright.

Taste is bright tropical fruit and hops. Really clean and fresh. Hoppy and nicely bitter but well-balanced by pale and caramel malts. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean.

Overall I really can't find many flaws with this beer; the only thing I can think of is if it were bottle-conditioned similar to an AleSmith IPA, the mouthfeel would be superlative. Outstanding ingredients, lovingly handcrafted. This is a showcase beer for Sierra Nevada. Too bad it's only available for a short time each year.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Cloudy orange amber topped with a large off white head. Head is sticky, falls slowly and leaves lots of spider web lace on the glass.

S- Sweet grapefruit notes and a nice balance of biscuit malt, a few notes of caramel and yeast in the background.

T- Biscuit malt upfront that slowly gives way to a slightly bitter grapefruit flavor. The bitterness builds slowly to the finish but never becomes overpowering, very smooth and balanced. Finish is dry and clean, almost no oily residue from the hops.

M- Medium in body and nicely carbonated, I'm halfway through the bottle and there is still almost no oiliness from the hops building up on my palate. Very clean for an IPA.

D- Easy drinker not really that dangerous with a 6.7% ABV, I don't think I would want to session this one, but it could be done.

Beautiful job, on the expensive side but well worth it. If it wasn't so pricey I would love to hand out bottles to my friends who don't like IPA to show them just how good they can be.

Picked up a 1PT. 9.4FL oz bomber at BevMo for about $10

Appearance: Crystal clear copper. Very pretty color with amazing clarity. Poured a two finger white head. Head retention is great and leaves lacing.

Smell: Very fresh hops. Characteristic Sierra Nevada citrus from Cascade hops with the floral aroma of others. Small bit of malt there too.

Taste: Just like the smell, floral and citrusy hops, very tasty! Has a nice malt backing that keeps this beer fairly well balanced in the West Coast style. Bitterness is not overwhelming and medium-short finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Dry but not too dry, just right.

Drinkability: High drinkability, tastes great with great mouthfeel. I wish I could get more!

I highly recommend this to Sierra Nevada fans.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A-golden amber with white head that leaves lacing throughout
S-hops hit the nose right away.
T-for being how old I think it is, very suprised at the hop profile
m-leaves a nice, sweet hoppy after taste. Very smooth.
D-very nice. No alcohol burn. So smooth

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

My first stab at an organic beer... and have to say... I am IMPRESSED!

Appearance: Great copper color, nice foam which leaves great lacing on the glass

Smell: Great malty aromoa and hint of floral fragrance.

Taste: Not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be considering it is a wet hop. Great malty flavor, some carmel hints of sweetness and grain notes. Freash taste but not overwhelming hoppy taste

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth and well balanced. Great tasting beer with a hint of bitterness to finish.

Overall: Great fresh taste. I have been reluctant to try organic beers but this was a great beer. Pour me another glass!

Serving type: Bottle, wax covered (which is a pain in the ass to get off and keep out the beer) 9.99 - 1pt9.4oz

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Whoa, that's a good IPA. The aroma isn't quite as aggressive as expected, but the notes are just so nice and friendly that I can't really complain. The beer is just gorgeous. Bright, transparent amber. Liquid light mahogany. Ecru head that sticks to the glass better than dish soap. The aroma is strong but not overpowering. Lots of delicate hop notes. Fresh, floral and piney hops with a noticeable caramel malt candy backbone. Taste is sweeter than I normally like for the style, but it just works here. The bitterness is gentle but enough to make the malt sugars take a backseat. Mouthfeel is full and oily with hoppiness. Easy to drink. It's clear that SN has worked out some best practices with wet-hopped IPAs. I still wish that this lineup was a touch cheaper - kinda wonder if the waxing and fancy label are partially attempt to justify said price - but this beer is worth it. Excellent IPA. Not to get too gushy, but it probably belongs amongst the very best of this highly competitive style.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer pours a dark copper to almost amber to light amber color with a white head. The aroma is of citrus and pine hops. The flavor is of sweet malt and a solid citrus backbone. There is a complex flavor of hops. The mouthfeel is medium light, and I would consider this very drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours an orange-copper-gold with a dense, foamy head. The nose is promising, with some nice caramel malt and resiny hops coming through, along with a hint of orange-tangerine. Wow! this thing is creamy and a pleasure to drink. Wonderful mouthfeel. Nice balance with lingering hop overtones that manage sweep the gamut from pine to spice to citrus. I'm impressed, SN. Keep it up, damn.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance when first poured is a nice bubbly, frothy head that is 2 fingers high. It has a really nice deep copper color to it and is a tad hazy. The smell is pretty much all hops. I get some earthy hops with little citrus. On the palate, the hops come out in droves with a nice balanced bitterness and a strong flavor. I get more citrus (grapefruit specifically) in tasting the beer than I did on the nose. The malt takes a backseat to the hops in this brew, but it isn't gone completely. I get small hints of caramel. The more i drink it, the only thing I can taste is hops. Mouthfeel is really nice, it's not thick, but not too watery either. The carbonation is just right, in the moderate level. You taste the bitterness for a long time in the finish. Drinkability here is high, I love this beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a the MOST beautiful Orange that I've ever seen come from a beer. Big fluffy white head and excellent lacing.
Aromas are dominated by huge piney, citrusy hops.
Taste can be summarized by that as well. Tasty, fresh hop flavor. Just a hint of some background malt with give it a tinge of sweetness and toastiness. Rich, chewy mouthfeel with a long dominating bitter finish. Exceptional.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much like the 2009 version, Estate poured out as a really nice looking copper color the head was thick and very foamy. The lacing left of the glass was very good too. The smell of the beer was very hoppy with some cirtus and grains in the mix. The taste was bitter from the hops and had a nice sweetness as well. The mouthfeel is smooth and leaves a dry mouth kind of feeling. Overall i found this to be the same beer as the 2009. I'm not sure what's different about them that they retired them each year. I like the appearance of this one more only because of what they've done with the bottling. All in all, very good all around.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a three-fingers thick off-white head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout with thick sheeting and a billowing head. the body was a bright amber color. absolutely gorgeous beer.
s - floral hops, barley, a touch of honey sweetness.
t - toasty with some nice malt sweetness. big piney and grapefruit hop flavors that turn more toward the citrus side of it as it warms.
m - medium and slick.
o - this beer is as good an AIPA as i've ever had.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a dark amber in color, with a nice strong foam head that laces like no other I have had in quite a while.
Smells of super citrusy delicious hops!
Taste is actually more subdued than I ever imagined from the aroma. It has a good ho kick at the front and mellows towards the back of the tongue... giving it an almost superior drinking quality to the original pale ale, or even the Wet Hop harvest.
Creamy mouthfeel.

Fantastic!

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, appearance is a beautiful copper color with a huge off white frothy head that laces nicely down the glass.

S- is piney citrusy, smells fresh and mouth watering

T- all that I hoped that it would be, classic. Sierra Nevada never disappoints. The malty backbone with fresh piney hops that hit the back of your tongue make this brew very well balanced.

M- mouthfeel is a top notch, carbonation and maltyness coat the mouth

D- I could drink multiple bottles of this in one sitting, so yes its very drinkable

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Light amber/copper color. Semi-hazy with an off white head with a hue of orange. Burnt orange and yellow highlights adorn the bottom of the glass. A very strong head, head retention and lacing. A mix between a soapy and a creamy looking head.

Smell - A nice presence of grapefruit citrus. Some orange in there. A bit of pine. Smells very floral. Very well balanced in the nose. As the beer warmed, the biscuit aromas really started to shine.

Taste - A nicely pronounced bitterness of grapfruit. Again, a touch of sticky pine. Orange citrus is coming forth nicely. Once more, as it warmed, the bready/biscuit flavors pulled through, but it still maintained that hop bite.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel that is very dry. Almost chewy in the mouthfeel. I like it!!! Even feels a bit sticky. This brew leaves enormous amounts of flavor on the palate. Outstanding, wonderful mouthfeel. I may still be tasting this in the morning.

Drinkability - I don't have a whole lot of experience with "hoppy" beers, but this one was outstaanding. Probably has more hop characteristics than any I have tried before. I really, really enjoyed this. With the large bottle, I really got to savor it and experience the changes. Easily drinkable and worth a try. The alcohol is non-existant, so watch out!!! Man, I have really had some outstanding beers lately.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

As a brief note, this is my first review in the BA community.

-Style: American Style IPA
-ABV: 6.7%
-Serving Type: 22oz Bottle (with a wax seal, pain in the arse to open
-Glass: Pint, approx. 40 degrees

Appearance: Bright copper/rusty orange with approx. 1 inch collar of foam- laces in very pretty patterns around glass.

Smell: Citrusy, but not overpowering with hops as I expected... the word "hop" is in the name, but it doesn't punch you in the face at first whiff? I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con- I guess it depends what level geek you are. New geeks who are shy about hoppy beers might like this as an introduction, while the more weathered hopheads (such as myself) might take it as a disappointment. Other smells that come to mind are more laid back- earthy, grassy, with toasted caramel undertones. Like I said, intricate but very mild.

Taste: Grapefruit, pine, and tart with a gentle warm lingering at the back of my throat.

MF: This beer leaves the slightest alcohol taste in my mouth- watering for more! Medium carbonation and a medium body.

Drinkability: Very much so! Refreshing and satisfying- while not everything I wanted out of a "wet hop ale," it was still a wonderful experience. Sierra Nevada goes in strong on a gentle hop focus with a maltier support on the tail end.

Pros: This beer is organic and ALSO contains a secret ingredient, and pairs wonderfully with sharp cheeses and poultry, two of my favorite bases to build snack plates and roasts from.
Cons: Insanely overpriced, renamed three times since '08, AND has a ridiculous wax seal that clumsy me couldn't get past without a bit of help.

Food Pairings: I personally served this particular beer with curried thai noodles and dragonfire salmon (dragonfire being a homemade salsa with peaches).

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Consumed October 25th, 2010.

Pour is a beautiful coppery/amber hue. A luxurious, two finger creamy off-white head forms and provides plenty of sticky lacing that lasts to the bottom of the glass.

The nose is treated to a wonderful bouquet of hops and malt: grassy, earthy hops that also exhibit a citrus rind note and a noticeable malt component (lighter than caramel - maybe pilsener?).

Flavor is mainly a hop affair: pine resin, citric tang, very light malt flavor and a touch of fresh cut wet grass. Bitter without being overbearing, there is an expert, light touch to the flavor balance of this beer.

The mouthfeel is thick and substantial, almost velvety. Ever-so-slightly dry on the finish.

Quite simply, one of the best examples of this style I have ever had.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

2011: 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz. bottle. I haven't opened many waxed bottles so I had quite the ordeal opening this one. Somehow it didn't shatter and spill all over the kitchen when it slipped on the counter and slammed on its side. Seriously, it should have shattered to pieces letting all of this delicious stuff go to waste. But luckily it didn't!

A - Awesome reddish-copper color with a thick, pillowy, fluffy, white head that settles very slowly into pits of foam. The lacing is even thick, making a trail all the way down the glass. Impressive.

S - The smell of fresh, bitter, Pacific Northwest hops is there but it's also citrus, cedar, pine, and a hint of sugary malt. Very inviting.

T - Well...that first sip was fantastic. Just a nod and a smile, confirming that this is exactly the beer I had hoped for. Perfect, may I repeat, perfect balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness. The hops hit you first, awakening your senses, and then those senses are bombarded with sweet, delicious, slightly roasted malt.

M - Smooth and creamy with a very light tingle from the carbonation. Very mellow. Chewy, even. A bit of alcohol shows up when the beer warms toward room temperature.

While a bit on the pricey side, this beer is well worth it and you'll be glad it is 25.4 fluid ounces. Pure enjoyment all the way through.

And the fact that this beer is brewed from Sierra Nevada's own hops and barley makes it even more special. They are already known as pioneers in many aspects of beer but this is another fantastic accomplishment to add to the list. I hope many other breweries follow this path and use their own locally grown ingredients if possible.

Update: 2012 release...easily one of the best fresh hop beers out there. Incredibly fresh and delicious hops. Malt complements and balances the beer perfectly. My previous review mentions that it was pricey in 2011. I'm sure SN has lowered their costs and improved their efficiency which shows in this beer. Only about $8.50 in MA. By the way, the wax peeled away much easier this time around.

Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.